Next Alpha Version?

Started by jjgoldman, December 03, 2013, 11:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjgoldman

It's been almost a month since .254b.  Just wondering how Tynan is doing on the next version of the alpha, and if/when he'll be distributing it.

Semmy

Tynan is really busy atm implemtenting the audio system and everything alistair needs to start working on the sound/musics.

There is no date for the next version. Might be 2 weeks might be more.
Big things sometimes take a long time to complete (-:
Tynan's Blog for more information
Modding Teaser Update here it can be discussed
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Galileus

A MONTH with no UPDATES!? Trobes ded, gg! Uhm... I mean Rimworld ded! Ded, I tell ya!

:P

Tynan

It's not just audio; I've been working on a system that can handle modding the whole game as well as the editor for it. This kind of infrastructure takes time, unfortunately.

That, and I've been moving cities and setting up a new apartment. Then moving apartments again because my first one filled with cigarette smoke every day or two. And setting up Ludeon with accountants, figuring out how to handle taxes with Kickstarter, dealing with SendOwl issues... I've lost a lot of time to non-dev stuff. I'm hoping that once this is taken care of I can get back to more consistent development. It's a transitional period.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Evul

Its a great game so far!
looking forward for the next release! Especially the the mod, editor thingy!
Make it stable and carry on!

Finance and economics is a b---h sometimes. ^^

Cdr.Keen

Quote from: Tynan on December 03, 2013, 02:56:59 PM
It's not just audio; I've been working on a system that can handle modding the whole game as well as the editor for it. This kind of infrastructure takes time, unfortunately.

[...]

i'm really looking forward for this. modding will strech the time between updates :)
be water my friend!

murlocdummy

That, and I've been moving cities and setting up a new apartment. Then moving apartments again because my first one filled with cigarette smoke every day or two. And setting up Ludeon with accountants, figuring out how to handle taxes with Kickstarter, dealing with SendOwl issues... I've lost a lot of time to non-dev stuff. I'm hoping that once this is taken care of I can get back to more consistent development. It's a transitional period.

Really, I'm quite excited about the cross-fading effects and the intelligent use of space from the player to determine sound effects.

Also, what kind of problems could you possibly have with the Kickstarter income?  You can consider the contributions to be capital investment and the contributors to be investors.  Unless you've gone and incorporated Ludeon Studios, you should still be sole proprietor.  If you live in a state that taxes capital holdings, then it's a different matter, but in regards to federal income taxes, unless you've gone and done something crazy, you shouldn't have too many issues.  If possible, seek a subsidy or some kind of tax assistance.  At this point, Ludeon Studios should still be a company that's pitching a product to potential investors, and has raised capital for development of a commercial product.  The financial activity of the company thus far should be considered a loss, and therefore not taxable by most income tax regulations.

At least, if I was making a company funded by fans, I'd have framed the Kickstarter funds as a form of loan, then asked for loan forgiveness over whatever period would keep me below the maximum amount.  Although, I think that that or something similar would be kind of complicated to pull off for a game developer.  Even if you wrote the book on game development, it'd be a bit much to assume that you have much experience with accounting and tax legalities, as well as the necessary need to set up a proper automated payment and interest calculation for each stakeholder.

Tynan

Quote from: murlocdummy on December 03, 2013, 08:22:01 PM

Really, I'm quite excited about the cross-fading effects and the intelligent use of space from the player to determine sound effects.

Also, what kind of problems could you possibly have with the Kickstarter income?  You can consider the contributions to be capital investment and the contributors to be investors.  Unless you've gone and incorporated Ludeon Studios, you should still be sole proprietor.  If you live in a state that taxes capital holdings, then it's a different matter, but in regards to federal income taxes, unless you've gone and done something crazy, you shouldn't have too many issues.  If possible, seek a subsidy or some kind of tax assistance.  At this point, Ludeon Studios should still be a company that's pitching a product to potential investors, and has raised capital for development of a commercial product.  The financial activity of the company thus far should be considered a loss, and therefore not taxable by most income tax regulations.

At least, if I was making a company funded by fans, I'd have framed the Kickstarter funds as a form of loan, then asked for loan forgiveness over whatever period would keep me below the maximum amount.  Although, I think that that or something similar would be kind of complicated to pull off for a game developer.  Even if you wrote the book on game development, it'd be a bit much to assume that you have much experience with accounting and tax legalities, as well as the necessary need to set up a proper automated payment and interest calculation for each stakeholder.

I'm Canadian.

I incorporated Ludeon for many reasons. One of the main ones was tax deferral. Were I a sole proprietor, I'd be paying massive personal income taxes on everything RimWorld has earned this year. By incorporating, I can defer that income. Incorporation is also cleaner legally and more flexible when it comes to hiring people, avoiding getting sued to death, and making deals between businesses.

Canada has an R&D program called SR&ED which pays back part of R&D expenses. There are challenging questions around when work was done, what work was done, what work qualifies, where it was done, and under what legal structure (e.g. before or after the incorporation of Ludeon). The answers to these questions determine how Ludeon will remunerate me this year, e.g. the appropriate mixture of salary and dividends.

Ludeon and I are in the process of moving provinces, so there are complexities to deal with there in terms of which taxes are paid to which province and in which amounts.

Sales tax in Canada is to be levied on Canadian on certain goods, and depending on where the customer is located. Administering this requires figuring out where customers are and, in my case, what part of sales is taxable at what rates. A video game is a taxable supply; having the right to put your name in a video game might not be.

Payroll, even to a sole owner, must have various deductions calculated and applied. You have to register a payroll account and file various forms. You have to deduct taxes from the salary and remit them on a regular basis to the government.

You have to keep records on every business expense, from SendOwl to a new office chair to Unity Pro.

There's lots to deal with. And if you make a mistake, you either get slapped with a big penalty later, or miss out on a couple tens of thousands of dollars by overpaying. So I've got some pros to help out on this, but it's still work to acquire and manage them and make decisions with them.

Thankfully I got to spend almost all day today actually working on the game :D

spacemarine658

we appreciate all the hard work your putting into the game Tynan :D

murlocdummy

Quote from: Tynan on December 03, 2013, 08:41:47 PM

I'm Canadian.

I incorporated Ludeon for many reasons. One of the main ones was tax deferral. Were I a sole proprietor, I'd be paying massive personal income taxes on everything RimWorld has earned this year. By incorporating, I can defer that income. Incorporation is also cleaner legally and more flexible when it comes to hiring people, avoiding getting sued to death, and making deals between businesses.

Canada has an R&D program called SR&ED which pays back part of R&D expenses. There are challenging questions around when work was done, what work was done, what work qualifies, where it was done, and under what legal structure (e.g. before or after the incorporation of Ludeon). The answers to these questions determine how Ludeon will remunerate me this year, e.g. the appropriate mixture of salary and dividends.

Ludeon and I are in the process of moving provinces, so there are complexities to deal with there in terms of which taxes are paid to which province and in which amounts.

Sales tax in Canada is to be levied on Canadian on certain goods, and depending on where the customer is located. Administering this requires figuring out where customers are and, in my case, what part of sales is taxable at what rates. A video game is a taxable supply; having the right to put your name in a video game might not be.

Payroll, even to a sole owner, must have various deductions calculated and applied. You have to register a payroll account and file various forms. You have to deduct taxes from the salary and remit them on a regular basis to the government.

You have to keep records on every business expense, from SendOwl to a new office chair to Unity Pro.

There's lots to deal with. And if you make a mistake, you either get slapped with a big penalty later, or miss out on a couple tens of thousands of dollars by overpaying. So I've got some pros to help out on this, but it's still work to acquire and manage them and make decisions with them.

Thankfully I got to spend almost all day today actually working on the game :D

Oh, so the government takes measures to prevent double taxation of corporations, and you get a nice tax credit, to boot?  As bad as the red tape is for that, at least you have options available to you that many American small businesses don't.  Apparently, your sales, income, and payroll taxes are also simpler and easier to use than over here in the States.  Not to mention the fact that all of your income taxes, personal and corporate are lower. 

I was about to suggest coming here to Wyoming, since there's no state income tax, but I'm kind of envious how easy businesses have it over there in Canada.

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: Tynan on December 03, 2013, 02:56:59 PMThat, and I've been moving cities and setting up a new apartment. Then moving apartments again because my first one filled with cigarette smoke every day or two.

Why on Earth...?

I'd have been furious. Like, apocalyptically furious. I'd let the owners or super know exactly how mad I was. As someone who suffers bad asthma in the presence of smoke (especially tobacco smoke,) I'd have been ready to hit the roof and go into orbit.

I dearly hope they apologized for the trouble and you're only moving apartment within the same building/complex, or if you had to move out, they're providing assistance and forgiving your lease.
Raiders must die!

Tynan

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on December 04, 2013, 05:02:22 AM
I dearly hope they apologized for the trouble and you're only moving apartment within the same building/complex, or if you had to move out, they're providing assistance and forgiving your lease.

Well, they were nice enough. I got another apartment three floors up that was about the same.

It was kind of ridiculous though. I hope they make sure they rent it to a heavy smoker next time.

jesus_h_pizza

Quote from: Tynan on December 03, 2013, 02:56:59 PMThat, and I've been moving cities and setting up a new apartment. Then moving apartments again because my first one filled with cigarette smoke every day or two.

Why on Earth...?

I'd have been furious. Like, apocalyptically furious. I'd let the owners or super know exactly how mad I was. As someone who suffers bad asthma in the presence of smoke (especially tobacco smoke,) I'd have been ready to hit the roof and go into orbit.

Seriously. I smoke, and try to be as polite about it as possible. Plus, even if I owned my own place, I would NEVER smoke indoors. It's tacky, and ruins electronics...

murlocdummy

Why on Earth...?

Shouldn't there be laws in the area in regards to smoking within residential complexes?  I don't know of many places that allow smoking within the interior of the complex, mostly due to the fact that the smoke carries throughout much of the building and affects most of the tenants.

rsdworker

Quote from: Tynan on December 04, 2013, 03:27:33 PM

Well, they were nice enough. I got another apartment three floors up that was about the same.

It was kind of ridiculous though. I hope they make sure they rent it to a heavy smoker next time.

i agree there - if you rent apartment and find its filled with cigarettes smells - they should Charge the previous tenant who rented the apartment for cleaning - its not nice

simllar experince for me - when we book ferry cabin and find its filled with cigarettes smell - so we moved to different cabin within ship
they had to charge the person who booked cabin i think its £150 fine for smoking in cabin its will have to be deep cleaned