Mortar Teams

Started by RedStorm58, February 01, 2014, 08:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jones-250

Just three things that I need to add into this thread.
1. The accuracy of the mortars should be a circle of about 20 blocks.  Perhaps between 15 to 25. (Semi-realistic, realism is a bad argument. I am a dumbass.)
2. Light mortars (60-80mm) tend to have quite good RoF (18-20 RPM), however due to balancing issues it should be low. Perhaps because the raiders have a scarce supply of grenades due to the fact that they are quite heavy to carry and transport and thusly fire only on "important targets". You know, not to waste the rare fire support.
3. Mortars need spotting. Even though the mortar team can spot and destroy targets by them selves, they should usually rely on someone nearby to provide them targets, a fire director. The mortars should be able to fire blindly into your colony, however without being actually able to target turrets or other facilities. With a raider nearby, they could zero in on spesific targets of priority. Killing the spotter would naturally remove this option. (Even though the raider mortar team would still have the coordinates of static targets.)
Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

RedStorm58

Yes, thats exactly what i was thinking. So lets say that you have a large battery room, and spotter saw it before you killed him. Would that mean he would still send the position, and the motar team would still know were it is. NICE!!
When you're young, everything feels like the end of the world. But it's not. It's just the beginning.

ApexPredator

Quote from: Jones-250 on February 05, 2014, 06:29:01 AM
Just three things that I need to add into this thread.
1. The accuracy of the mortars should be a circle of about 20 blocks.  Perhaps between 15 to 25. (Semi-realistic, realism is a bad argument. I am a dumbass.)
2. Light mortars (60-80mm) tend to have quite good RoF (18-20 RPM), however due to balancing issues it should be low. Perhaps because the raiders have a scarce supply of grenades due to the fact that they are quite heavy to carry and transport and thusly fire only on "important targets". You know, not to waste the rare fire support.
3. Mortars need spotting. Even though the mortar team can spot and destroy targets by them selves, they should usually rely on someone nearby to provide them targets, a fire director. The mortars should be able to fire blindly into your colony, however without being actually able to target turrets or other facilities. With a raider nearby, they could zero in on spesific targets of priority. Killing the spotter would naturally remove this option. (Even though the raider mortar team would still have the coordinates of static targets.)

Having a crew and spotter seems a little much for this game currently. I could understand a two person team for a single mortar but would not be upset if it was a single raider. I would expect the raiders to have similar tactics to what we are facing in Afghanistan. One or two raiders on a mountain that is within range of the base, set up, quickly fire off all the rounds they brought with them in the general direction of the base and retreat before the base sends someone to take them out. This is a crude but somewhat effective method to disrupting operations with a very low kill success rate.

I usually set up my cols in different formations depending on what the attack looks like and my current base set up; however, with a raider mortar team in the mix it maybe a gamble for us to send soft targets indoors until the barrage is over or leave them out and possibly loose a few cols. If you pull in the cols it will allow a raider advance without much resistance but should keep them safe from mortars.

Jones-250

Quote from: ApexPredator on February 05, 2014, 04:08:50 PM
-snip-
Good points, let´s just hope that they do not posess something like a portable AMOS.
Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

kin

Hopefully give us a method of replying to the mortar threat without risking too many colonist deaths.
Either our own mortar teams or make it so mortars need a spotter within sight of your camp who can be sniped. (not necessarily from within your base), you could send out a lone sniper to take out their spotters or even the mortar crew themselves, then capture it.