Getting sick of it :/

Started by Monzer, August 24, 2016, 06:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monzer

hey , so I started a challenge Cassandra after finishing the game on base builder many times . everything goes right couple raids and toxic ships but what's really annoys me is the malaria which happens to me couple of times 10 to 15 min between first one shouldn't colonist that already affected by it would'v been immune now ? also a boomrat manhunter keeps me in base for 3 days which is really sick because I can't deal with them ! had two of those and 2 malaria which totally destroyed my game . what really gets to me is the boomrat attacks when I try to make an idoors area colonist keep getting out for a brief time which cause them death .

Shurp

1) Grow healroot to treat your malaria victims.  BTW, immunity wears off after a while, so yes, after a season an infected colonist can get malaria again.

2) Boomrats are not that hard to deal with.  Build a few turrets, watch a dozen boomrats die each time one blows up, watch others die in the fires they produce, step outside and plink the remainder to death.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

eadras

You can create a custom zone which is restricted to "safe" areas within your walls, and assign your colonists to it during manhunter packs, to prevent them from wandering outside.  Forbidding doors is the quick and dirty way to accomplish the same thing.  This method is also essential for keeping animals alive during raids.

As to diseases like malaria, I know that different biomes have different chances for various diseases to strike.  I'm guessing you were in a fairly warm location?  That's kind of the trade off for having a year-round or long growing season.  In my current game, I landed in a tundra location, built my little sterile hospital early on (I read somewhere that Cassandra lowers the chance to hit you with diseases if you have a sterile room built, not sure if it's true or not), and haven't had any diseases since a round of gut worms in this first year (now in year 5).

RemingtonRyder

My colonists can survive malaria. My last colony was a Randy Random Rough tribe who unfortunately racked up quite a few injuries and had no way of realistically fighting off an incoming raid.

NolanSyKinsley

Malaria shouldn't be a major issue anymore in A15, if you live in an area that has malaria then you can make a drug to prevent it.

Kagemusha12

Quote from: Shurp on August 24, 2016, 06:56:33 PM
1) Grow healroot to treat your malaria victims.  BTW, immunity wears off after a while, so yes, after a season an infected colonist can get malaria again.

Aye, Healroot fields should be among the first things to establish in a colony (and a grower of sufficient level a very important thing to bring with you among the first three)

LordMunchkin

There's a mod that lets you craft medkits from herbal medicine and cloth. Try that to cure your early game medical woes. Also, you think manhunter packs are bad, try the zombie mod. The zombies ignore the animals but break down the doors, letting them in! Many of my games have ended this way (and a few hard fought victories are remembered). As for colonist getting out when there's danger, try forbidding doors. If you have a outer wall which you always should, it works really well to keep everyone inside the base until the danger has passed.

My work list for a new colony is:
1. Build or find a 11x11 hut for stockpile/barracks/crafting station/kitchen.
2. Build outer wall, preferably out of stone salvaged from nearby. You want to also build wood deadfall traps all along the outer wall because the ai loves beating them with clubs and what not. Each raid often has 4 or 5 guys dead from those cheap traps alone.
3. Plant corn, cotton, herbs, and hops. There's a nice mod that allows you to till the soils if you're into that sort of thing.
3. Start researching.
4. Start building some bedrooms, 6x6 preferably.
5. Start crafting. LMGs + Sniper Rifle, then some armor.

NolanSyKinsley

No need for mods, in A15 you can research and manufacture your own medication. It requires neutroamine, but that is readily available from space traders in large quantities, usually 100-350 on each one. I was able to stockpile over a thousand fairly easily.

Shurp

Well, most of us are still playing A14, and if you had updated to A15 early you would have gotten to enjoy this:

"EDIT: Unstable branch updated to fix an issue that made treatments useless on various diseases (causing infections to be 100% deadly)."

Healroot cures malaria just fine :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

NolanSyKinsley

Quote from: Shurp on August 25, 2016, 07:10:32 AM
Well, most of us are still playing A14, and if you had updated to A15 early you would have gotten to enjoy this:

"EDIT: Unstable branch updated to fix an issue that made treatments useless on various diseases (causing infections to be 100% deadly)."

Healroot cures malaria just fine :)

Well yea, if you want to keep treating repeatedly, and take the negative moodlet. Prevention would be much better.

I know that A15 is not released yet, I was just saying in the next update to the main branch that it will be a lot easier to get medicine and prevent/treat malaria.