We Crashed Here: A more interesting approach to Research (with fiction)

Started by Lechai, October 10, 2013, 07:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceEatingTrex

Quote from: Tynan on October 11, 2013, 12:00:08 AME.g. Some topics would be off the tree; you'd only get them as a side-bonus if you had a colonist researching something related and got a critical hit. So, while researching turret cooling, you might stumble upon turret accuracy (which cannot be directly researched).

Could be too complex, that part, though. Anyway, thanks for the well-thought-out writeup!

In addition to being complex, my fear here is unless every "off the tree" topic had an infinite amount of related research topics you could get locked out of ever researching them. As Hypolite mentioned, while something like this would be a cardinal sin in a strategy game it's less egregious in a story-focused game like RimWorld - but it wouldn't be good if players kept being disappointed by missing out on content.

However, research events like disasters or breakthroughs might add more depth to researching. Besides events delaying or speeding up research, what other effects could there be? Research disasters could involve things like fires or explosions, while breakthroughs could give a bonus to the research stat or spawn a bonus object related to what's being researched. If we do have research events I like the idea of them being based on what's being researched, for instance a Fear research disaster could give a Colonist the "Terrifying Appearance" or (hypothetical) "Traumatized" traits.

What would be good research events for the different research topics?

Tynan

I actually had research explosions like 6 months ago; I toned them down because it's not that interesting when your guys just blow up with no warning. Maybe I should bring them back.

Temporary insanity is one possibility. Perhaps sickness if doing biological research.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Hypolite

You did put pipe explosions that blow up walls with no warning ;)

Lechai

Quote from: SpaceEatingTrex on October 11, 2013, 04:50:24 PM
In addition to being complex, my fear here is unless every "off the tree" topic had an infinite amount of related research topics you could get locked out of ever researching them.
You don't have to have 'off the tree' tech that gets locked out if you don't get it. It could be just you get two for the price of one...

I actually just giggled when i thought of a researcher blowing up himself researching carpet...
what... how?
reminds me of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjvQRerJu0g

anyway back on topic:
i don't particularly mind getting locked out from some 'bonus' tech, it makes each play-through a bit more unique.
Having mind controlled Muffalo tech is going to be a very different experience to having grenade launching turrets...
especially if its rare.
increases re-playability

SpaceEatingTrex

Quote from: Tynan on October 11, 2013, 04:58:19 PM
I actually had research explosions like 6 months ago; I toned them down because it's not that interesting when your guys just blow up with no warning. Maybe I should bring them back.

Temporary insanity is one possibility. Perhaps sickness if doing biological research.

Tynan, one thing you've mentioned elsewhere is the importance of thinking through repercussions of mechanics. I agree that it's not interesting when colonists blow up without warning - in fact I'd say that disasters are only good when players can have a meaningful interaction with them. Using the notification system might be a good way to let players react to these disasters. In the case of a lab explosion, instead of it happening without warning there could be a message like "Colonist X has caused an unstable chemical reaction!" and then trigger the explosion a couple seconds later. Players might get frustrated if negative events happen they can't possibly respond to, but hopefully those feelings can be avoided by giving the play a fair chance to react.

Other possible research events:

• Turret Research:  "Colonist X has made a working prototype." - Free Turret. "Colonist X's prototype has gone out of control!" - Spawns a hostile turret.
  • Hydroponics Research: "Colonist X grew a superior potato." - Gain X food. "Research seeds were dispersed in the air vents" - Random plants spawn indoors. "Genetically engineered seed(s) grow into mutant plant(s)!" - spawn mutant plants(s).
  • Carpets: "Colonist X tore open a hole in space!" - Colonist X is teleported somewhere on the map. "Muffalo reversed engineered from carpet fibers" - Spawn a multicolored Muffalo herd.

Lechai