Suggestion for new SongDef-tag child element: allowedBiomes

Started by Anbalsilfer, October 30, 2018, 11:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anbalsilfer

As amazing as the RimWorld standard soundtrack is, I'm sure I'm far from the only one who's found it to start to get a bit repetitive as your cumulative playtime starts reaching into the quadruple digits in hours.

I've recently been thinking a lot about this, and also about new ways to make expanding with new colonies into different biomes more appealing. These two lines of thought converged in my mind to make me wonder how hard it would be to create a biome-sensitive music mod, which expands on RimWorld's soundtrack with more context-sensitive songs configured to only play when micromanaging a colony in a specific biome. After reading up a bit on the SongDef element syntax, I came to the conclusion that this would actually be trivial, if an additional qualifying child element, allowedBiomes, could be supported by the game.

The SongDef element already supports a qualifying child element allowedSeasons. The idea for allowedBiomes is essentially the same, except it would contain a list of biome references for biomes the song is allowed to play in.

This seems to an uninitiated observer like an addition with a very high potentiality-to-effort ratio. This simple change would make it very easy to make a mod that significantly expands on Rimworld's soundtrack in a far more context-sensitive way than has before been easily achievable.

qux

Hi ! This has never been done ? that would be so good

kristkos

I know it's not what was discussed lookup "Music on the rim" mod. Has an impressive collection to add to the base game