Owned Animals and Food

Started by Falcon_the_Slut, October 22, 2018, 11:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Falcon_the_Slut

My animals are always eating my cooked meals. If they had no choice I'd get it, but I have grazing animals like muffalos and meat eaters like dogs and cats eating my normal meals when there is plenty of haygrass and raw meat....I grow haygrass for my grazers and those fuckers are eating all my human food, plus dogs and cats are eating the human food when they have plenty of kibble and raw meat.

Normal, bug or is there something I'm dong wrong?

AileTheAlien

Make a zone for your pets, which disallows them from the rooms where your human-food is stored. Alternately, for things like cows, you can restrict them to specifically to a small zone with their beds, medicine, and hay.

Scavenger

Ya, heavy use of zones is pretty important. I always restrict tiny animals to indoors, they generally create almost no dirt over time, and it will stop them from being murdered by predators. I usually always make a tiny area of my pantry for only kibble and raw meat, right next to the door in, and allow small animals and larger Predators like big cats and dogs into that section only so they can only eat the kibble and meat. Though, hopefully, those larger Predator pets will prefer to go and eat corpses around the map sometimes.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

B@R5uk

In beta version I noticed that on waking up animals eat the closest food they have to them, so with competent positioning of storage area and sleaping spots, some problems can be solved without zone restrictions at all. I prefer my dogs roam freely, as they haul anything they find to lie badly.

5thHorseman

Quote from: Scavenger on October 22, 2018, 01:58:40 PM
Ya, heavy use of zones is pretty important. I always restrict tiny animals to indoors, they generally create almost no dirt over time, and it will stop them from being murdered by predators.

Funny I restrict them to outside only so predators will take them out, and then I get an indicator that a predator is near the base so I can quickly hunt it and kill it before it attacks someone important.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

AileTheAlien

It's easier to deal with predators if you just periodically draft all your pawns, and circle the map group-hunting predators. The extra bullets makes it faster to hunt them, and gives you safety for when they get revenged.

5thHorseman

Quote from: AileTheAlien on October 22, 2018, 07:01:33 PM
It's easier to deal with predators if you just periodically draft all your pawns, and circle the map group-hunting predators. The extra bullets makes it faster to hunt them, and gives you safety for when they get revenged.
My tongue was partially in my cheek for that. I consider any animal that can't haul (as a job or in a caravan) to be a liability that is better off dying than anything.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

B@R5uk

And here I use predators as free hunting labour. You just need every day to unforbid all items on the map and dogs will complete the job. Unfortunately this labour is quite unreliable, as they get wounded often and die from bleeding easily.