Nomad Mode/Tribal Mode

Started by paulbunion1, September 07, 2014, 12:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulbunion1

I think it would be kind of fun to have a sort or Nomad or Tribal Mode, where you can start off on the planet as cavemen or just tribal people and have to research all the things that your able to use in what would be the normal or original game mode. Like you start off with 3 tribal men/women with spears and you have to build a primitive research bench or something, and from there you would be able to research stuff like the bow all the way up to spaceship stuff. Not sure if anyone else would find this much fun. Just thought it was a cool idea

Cpt.Fupa

i had the same idea but i'm thinking more like dwarf fortress where your an adventurer and youve got to go around doing quests and getting the super princess prisoner gem of awesome power to become a japanese princess and win battles just because your cute. the only problem i have with your idea is that you can pick where you want to spawn so theres no need to move around just so you can settle.

Tumuel

I definitely want to see some more primitive technology in the game, wood burning ovens to cook for example. so that people do not need to set up solar panels and geothermal generators just to have a hot meal, and more traditional crematoriums which also use wood to burn corpses.
Right now in the game just about everything needs power to work.

Cpt.Fupa

I agree it would be cool to have a older tech colony

Monkeysaur

The Superior crafting mod kind of does this in terms of crafting.

Not to the extent you describe but it's quite different to the base game.

Geokinesis

Quote from: Tumuel on September 07, 2014, 05:23:53 AM
I definitely want to see some more primitive technology in the game, wood burning ovens to cook for example. so that people do not need to set up solar panels and geothermal generators just to have a hot meal, and more traditional crematoriums which also use wood to burn corpses.
Right now in the game just about everything needs power to work.

Yeah it does seem strange that you can't build a fire pit/cauldron to cook food first without power, as you wouldn't really expect crashed colonists to go straight from raw berries to electric kitchen hobs.

Xerberus86

Quote from: paulbunion1 on September 07, 2014, 12:15:00 AM
I think it would be kind of fun to have a sort or Nomad or Tribal Mode, where you can start off on the planet as cavemen or just tribal people and have to research all the things that your able to use in what would be the normal or original game mode. Like you start off with 3 tribal men/women with spears and you have to build a primitive research bench or something, and from there you would be able to research stuff like the bow all the way up to spaceship stuff. Not sure if anyone else would find this much fun. Just thought it was a cool idea

you want to start you colony with nothing and have to research the basics first and have a real progression from early low tech to high tech?

try tech tree minami, it delivers just that! you land on the planet with some resources (wood, silver, metal), some other materials like medics, a CRT (compact research terminal) and three empty droppods which you salvage for some unique resuorces.

the only things you can built are graves, sleeping spot, rubble wall (5o hp) and rebuild your ONE crt at another spot. besides making the growing zones you do have jack to build. no normal beds, no carpets, no power sources, no meal preparation, etc.

the first thing you research is "rimworld for dummies" which gives you the very basic structures like a woodlog wall, a wood door, oil lamp (you can collect oil on the map), woodcutting bench and a worktable. regarding food it enables you to build butcher table, food preparation (only basic dish, prepare raw meat and vegetable salad, no real meals) and a campfire to grill raw food.

your first energy source is 1-2 steps deeper in the tech tree and consists of "makeshift" structures wich produce low level of energy and are a bit unreliable (makeshift solar panel of which you can build 3 because you only have 3 scrap solar panels from the drop pods, some static discharger which power varies from 20 to 100 and spark like hell and some makeshift batteries (main ingredient potatoe) which will short-circuit while outside in the rain).

also things like com table, better research bench, weapon / armor crafting table and the likes you need some main components you can't produce yourself and you have to buy from traders.

personally i can't play vanilly rimworld anymore, having some REAL progression in the game and some real survival elements where you can't start building high tech right from the start is a great feel and a real challenge.

personally i wish this kind of progression and crafting dependancy would make it into vanilla rimworld. having almost everything from the start isn't really a "surviving sim" or at least feels like you got some things via cheating which i dislike.

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3464.0

fyi, i also love the fact that this mod comes with 30 new events and 22+ new text-only events.