i dont know if i like this...

Started by Fruit loops, October 04, 2014, 10:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccheuer

Quote from: Goo Poni on November 29, 2014, 12:57:58 PM
Maybe not when queued because no-one knows besides the omnipotent colony god/colony hivemind/the player and the doctors. Once the operation is done, however, that loyalty threshold (is that visible anywhere in the UI, it's not the mood) should drop through the floor and be on approach for the core of the Rimworld and prisoners who bore witness to it (in the case of big holding cells instead of individual prison rooms) should get a heavy mood debuff and their own loyalty to the colony be shot in the foot as well. I'd expect riots to be breaking out after a couple such operations.

I don't know about you, but if I was a prisoner in some colony where there is no light, one person comes and feeds me once a day, and I was captured in combat, when their doctor approaches me with some anesthetic, my response would be AWWWWWWWWW HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLL NAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

keylocke

Quote from: JesterBlue on November 28, 2014, 02:50:35 AM
Every topic about mood and relationship face the same problem of not having a specific entity for your colonist to direct their emotional problems to except for the vague and ominous 'Colony'.
When you harvest organ from anyone, it's like "the COLONY make me cut out his lung with a sharp rock and leave it in an ice box on the floor" while another colonist would be like "organ spilled on floor, must haul to stockpiles". We can deduct that they're all  agreed to do this into this together or all turn to worship the everpresent COLONY which absolve them of all sins with the only  commandments being 'thou shalt not click execute prisoner or sell slave". The others similar negative moods like eat human meat and see corpse are all emotion/mechanical feeling similar to being in the dark or eat raw food, not moral decision.

yea. it's like as somebody else stated before about rimworld's instantaneous transmission of thoughts, rather than information being transmitted from person to person, making them seem to be treated like limbs of a single organism rather than as an individual person.

but i'm hoping this will change eventually once a "relationship" system  finally comes into play. and people should react more like individuals especially if there are ideological or personality conflicts within the group.

---

slightly off topic

[rant]

also, i think i've also suggested before about adding a "crime and punishment" system (aka : tyranny-of-the-masses system) where behaviors that are in conflict with the majority can lower an individual's status within the colony, and be dealt with punishment equal to the gravity of the supposed "crime" of the individual..

ie : cannibalistic actions in a colony with a non-cannibal majority. (crimes are decided based on the opposite "moral values" of the majority, hence a cannibal majority won't consider cannibalism as a crime and vice versa)

non-cannibals (or non-psychopaths or anyone with a contradictory belief system) will refuse to perform such actions that contradicts their "belief systems", and anyone that gets caught performing such actions will take a hit on their reputation which could eventually accumulate and trigger a "punishment" event to pop-up.

when this happens, the player has several options to consider..

ie : punish the supposed criminal? yes or no? if yes; what sort of punishment? (imprisonment for X days? culling of X limbs? banishment? death? no punishment? etc..) each colonist will be affected by the player's decision and will get a positive or a negative mood swing based on each of their own personality.

so a morality "spectrum" needs to be considered, which means a revamp in the "traits" system..

ie :

-physical traits :  mostly affects combat and physical jobs
-mental traits : mostly affects crafting and intellectual jobs
-psychological / ideological traits : slowly affected by "culture" (ie : some traits can sometimes have belief contamination from others)
-mood traits : affected by low or high morale (some people are abrasive only on a bad mood, while some people are only industrious when in a good mood, etc..)

the most relevant traits would be the psychological traits and the mood traits.

so all of these things like relationship system and crime&punishment system, combines into this dynamic "socio-cultural" system that is based upon the belief systems of the majority vs the various minorities within the colony..

heck! the internal struggle caused by these systems could even make a storyteller AI on builder mode seem "interesting" even if there are no raids dropping by every 10 minutes or so..

players can just focus on the day to day internal struggles of the colony, instead of relying on "external threats" of raiders to advance the plot of the "story".

-----------

of course the external threats are still there on higher challenge modes, but when rimworld finally reaches the point when the internal threats become as enjoyable as dealing with the external threats.. then rimworld finally reaches this whole new level of awesome..  ;D

[/rant]