Can we walk around IRL a to explore our colonies now? Please?

Started by BattleFalcon, January 21, 2015, 04:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BattleFalcon

http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us

When I saw the video for this, I immediately thought of exploring a Rimworld colony, using a holo lens. I know the technology is still a very, very long ways off, but this has some serious potential! Imagine walking around your living room, watching your colony in action! Or looking at the aftermath of a raid!

Discuss below!
Look for Cassandra "Cassie" Ryan ingame! That's me!

elStrages

If its realistically priced which it wont be for a long time it would be awesome to have no doubt haha

Eleazar

Rimworld is 2d.  Viewing it through a "hololens" will won't change that, it will just let you use your floor or your wall as a lower resolution screen.

REMworlder

*Obviously* it would be some weird mix of 2d and 3d. Or some mindblowing new form of three-view called five-view.

evrett33

BattleFalcon

Quote from: Eleazar on January 21, 2015, 06:52:58 PM
Rimworld is 2d.  Viewing it through a "hololens" will won't change that, it will just let you use your floor or your wall as a lower resolution screen.

I was thinking it would look like if you built a Rimworld colony in minecraft, but not as blocky and with different textures.
Look for Cassandra "Cassie" Ryan ingame! That's me!

Justin C

Microsoft is just ripping off Google Glass. It was a terrible idea when Google did it, and I don't think it's going to catch on if Microsoft does it either.

For video games Oculus Rift and other VR headsets will still be a better option. And those are already here.

Coenmcj

Quote from: Justin C on January 22, 2015, 02:53:06 AM
Microsoft is just ripping off Google

They're doing alot of that recently.
Check the 'spartan' browser coming with W10...

On topic however, this could technically work seeing as Rimworld is run on unity which is 3D. But it would look very different from what you can see from above.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

userfredle

Quote from: Eleazar on January 21, 2015, 06:52:58 PM

Blasphemy!

if your familiar with dwarf fortress there are many fan made ways of bringing your 2D fortress into a 3D or beautiful isometric tiles :)

So it is possible but will require some extensive work

Coenmcj

Aye, that is true. But Dwarf Fortress is a 2D game, played in a 3 Dimensional world.
Rimworld plays in 2 Dimensions, and is flat for the most part, it would be very gimmicky to get working.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite