droids

Started by Paralytic, March 29, 2015, 10:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paralytic

I'd be surprised if this idea didn't come up already. But I'd love to see some basic worker and/or combat droids.

Worker droids would carry out basic hauling tasks or even the less complex tasks like stone cutting or growing. Combat droids would active and attack enemies within a certain range or upon command.

To balance them out they would need to charge at a charging station taking up X power to recharge, maybe even occasionally having to consume uranium or some other resource . You would need to  research a few different things to have access to all of it, maybe throw in a couple extra to make them more efficient and/or stronger.

I think it would be a nice addition to defense and help with those that play on lower difficulties that can't get to many prisoners. I find unless you use cheese defenses you end up losing colonists to crippling injuries or the lucky killing shot to the stomach or shooting off their head.

Mechanoid Hivemind

I 1+ this and 1- it as well Because that's what the game is about management if you have droids doing that then your ppl would be fat tards that ride in hover chairs (anyone who gets this reference cutos to you)
The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

SSS

This is available almost exactly as you described it in the Mechanical Defense 2 mod.

It's a nice mod, but I'm not sure if I'd want droids in vanilla.

Paralytic

Quote from: Zerg HiveMind on March 29, 2015, 01:49:47 PM
I 1+ this and 1- it as well Because that's what the game is about management if you have droids doing that then your ppl would be fat tards that ride in hover chairs (anyone who gets this reference cutos to you)

sure it would mean less management in the colonist department but it would switch to resource management in the same instance.

Paralytic

Quote from: SSS on March 29, 2015, 02:19:42 PM
This is available almost exactly as you described it in the Mechanical Defense 2 mod.

never liked modding much, typically only use mods to remove bugs.

ja7833

I'd be ok with droids in the vanilla game but only if they were very basic/limited in function - I think the best suggestion in another thread was a cleaner bot or maybe to expand on the often requested carts/backpacks/ability to haul more/more than one thing maybe also a hauling droid.
"Someone who is making anywhere from $300,000 to $750,000, that's middle class."  - Frederick Heineman

BetaSpectre

Mai from the Misc mod also has droids.

All in all its a supported in mods. While if its in the game proper is up to Tynan.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Kegereneku

I want to repurpose a Mechanoid to clean things as an high level technology.

Said machine would be incapable of executing direct order and work only on a rigid single task basis initiated by a colonist "control skill". Afterall... if you can repurpose an AI core, Mechanoind shouldn't be too hard.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Keychan

Well in the ideas of the game, Mechanoids were originally designed for farming and such tasks.  Then they were used for combat later, so I do believe Tyran plans to have Mechanoids that help the colony eventually.

Johnny Masters

I see no problem with droids (for cleaning, to general tasks and combat), as long as they are balanced.

I'd say they actually make a good compromise between not needing to coerce strangers into working for you (specially the people you were shooting last day) and having a decent economy. The lore, background and theme of the game certainly favors it.

For me, they should fall in the same kind of limiting factors that have been discussed in some turret balancing threads.

Things that could be used to balance would be one or a set of:
- Requires AI Core
- A.I. Control Hub station, it gives control of 8 A.I. cores. Cores which could be installed in such things as turrets, working droids or combat droids.
- Signal towers, that emits a working radius were the droid can work. Moving from the radius either shuts it down so it won't move past it or it gradually saps its working efficiency the furthest away it is.
- Signal towers could either be manned or require amounts of energy parallel to the amount of AI cores you have under control
- Mechanoids could either interfere with droids, making them inoperable, or even manage to hack'em to their side.
- A droid doesn't require a core, but could be directly controlled by a pawn. So numbers would be 1-1. A droid is obviously more resilient or readily replaceable than a pawn, and could come equipped with unique perks such as a faster speed for certain tasks.
- A droid comes with a life-expectancy and degrades over time. Crafting them requires considerable amounts of time and some resource that is not abundant.
- Small cleaning droids that operate from a small 1-square station. They either clean a radius or a room. The station stores them while inactive and recharges. I don't see why these should be limited in any way. Let people have cleaning bots, specially future people.

Of course, they should only be attainable after heavy investment in research, silver and/or resources.

SSS

Quote from: Paralytic on March 29, 2015, 03:08:41 PM
Quote from: SSS on March 29, 2015, 02:19:42 PM

never liked modding much, typically only use mods to remove bugs.

You can't expect everything to end up in vanilla. How it gets in the game shouldn't matter as long as it's there. I see no reason for someone to act like mods (in general) are bad.

Quote from: Kegereneku on March 30, 2015, 01:19:29 PM
I want to repurpose a Mechanoid to clean things as an high level technology.

Said machine would be incapable of executing direct order and work only on a rigid single task basis initiated by a colonist "control skill". Afterall... if you can repurpose an AI core, Mechanoind shouldn't be too hard.

Something similar is available in the More Mechanoids mod, though I haven't repurposed any to know how it works. I do know it doesn't require an AI Core.