Recording w/o Audio?

Started by Colonial Astronaut, August 21, 2014, 07:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonial Astronaut

So I've been playing Rimworld and want to start making some videos of it but I don't have any sort of microphone, besides the one built into my laptop which doesn't have the best quality. So my main question is ,what would be the best way to incorporate commentary into a video that doesn't have any sound other than that from the game itself?

Justin C

You can get a headset for pretty cheap so you can talk while you play. That's your best bet.

Colonial Astronaut

True, kind of wish the headset for my xbox would work for my laptop, but I really don't have any money to spare on a headset (most of my money goes to gas :E).

Also, I was looking at your Zmbie Apocalypse mod while waiting for a reply! xD

Bruvvy

nils

If you can't or don't want to talk, your only option is to add captions (pretty much all video editing programs should be able to add them. Don't use YouTube captions, they are terribly fiddly and some users disable them). It probably works best for short videos that do not need a lot of explanation or narrative, a full LP style series might be too tedious with only captions.

That said, I do agree that headsets are incredibly cheap and you should probably try to find a way to pay for one if you want to do videos. I can't recommend anything in that range, but cheap ones should sell for under 10 bucks. I use a slightly older MS LiveChat headset at work for video conferencing and normal calls, it's not super-awesome but the voice quality should suffice. The current version sells for $20 on Amazon.