Melee Weapons: What do you use?

Started by Riddle78, September 14, 2015, 11:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristocat

Quote from: Boston on September 18, 2015, 01:46:14 AM
Which is weird, because this

http://www.warpaths2peacepipes.com/native-indian-weapons-tools/ball-clubs.htm

says that a stone-weighted club is a perfectly serviceable weapon. Just like a stone-headed spear or arrow will kill you just as dead as a steel-tipped one, really.

It reduce attack speed, not damage. You can kill anyone with stone clubs. It just that it's not as effective as steel mace or... URANIUM MACE.

Boston

Which, again, is stupid.

What reduces "attack speed" in real life is the balance and weight of the weapon. It is perfectly possible to get a perfectly balanced and weighted stone macehead.

Too-DAMN-Much

you two realize serviceable just means tolerable right? if it said "ideal" then you'd have a point.

it literally means this tool can do this task when used that way, it doesn't mean that it can do the task well, just that it'll work.

Boston

Quote from: Too-DAMN-Much on September 21, 2015, 10:12:43 PM
you two realize serviceable just means tolerable right? if it said "ideal" then you'd have a point.

it literally means this tool can do this task when used that way, it doesn't mean that it can do the task well, just that it'll work.

Don't be a pedant.

You know what I mean: a stone mace-head is not any less lethal than a metal one. History can, and does, tell us that.

Spectre

Two power claws. I love ripping them to shreds, though you don't get many survivors.
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

FridayBiology

Personally i love the ThrowingKnives mod, they should be ingame though maybe later.
Firstly you equip a throwing knife as a melee weapon. You then select whether you want to allow a ranged or a melee attack pattern. I like to throw once while moving colonist towards target and then engage at close quarters (Magic dagger from Terraria ok?).

I'd like to see more tribal theme weapons though or are least weapon grade effecting weapon stats, such as range and aim time etc...

ThrowingKnives > https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=15303.msg161553#msg161553
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Shadou

Quote from: Boston on September 21, 2015, 11:05:59 PM
Quote from: Too-DAMN-Much on September 21, 2015, 10:12:43 PM

Don't be a pedant.

You know what I mean: a stone mace-head is not any less lethal than a metal one. History can, and does, tell us that.

I'd like to point out, before you two start fighting, that this is a game, and the differences between stone/steel/uranium maces are more than likely set due to balance purposes. While in real life a stone mace may be no better or worse than a steel mace of equal weight and balance, there needs to be something in the game to differentiate them, and in this case Tynan has decided that more expensive materials can make a better mace.

But, while we're on the subject, in real life the density of the material used is a factor. Metal maces, depending on the metal used, will give you a heavier and/or smaller end result, while a stone mace of equal weight might be larger and, therefore, more unwieldy. Same weight in a smaller package would make the result easier to balance as well. And before you try to tell me that the weight of the mace doesn't matter, I'll point out that the heavier the mace is, the heavier the impact will be. You're not going to deal much damage with any mace that has all the weight of a nerf wiffle bat, no matter how hard you swing it.