Performance Drop

Started by Barrclaw, July 29, 2017, 02:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrclaw

Just go back from a break and got 14 hours into a colony when about one in game day after a raid. My performance drops to 2-3 fps on the regular speed and 0-1 fps on the other speeds. When I pause my fps goes straight up to 60. Before this I wasn't having any issues with performance at all. After checking to make sure I found that it always happens at the same exact time in game. I loaded an autosave from just before the lag started happening and paid attention to the log and the only message in the log is this:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at RimWorld.StoryIntenderPopulation.CalculatePopulationIntent (RimWorld.StorytellerDef def, Single curPop, Int32 ticksSinceGain) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at RimWorld.StoryIntender_Population.get_PopulationIntent () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at RimWorld.StockGenerator_Slaves+<GenerateThings>cIterator17E.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at RimWorld.ItemCollectionGenerator_TraderStock.Generate (ItemCollectionGeneratorParams parms, System.Collections.Generic.List1 outThings) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at RimWorld.ItemCollectionGenerator.Generate (ItemCollectionGeneratorParams parms) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at RimWorld.PawnGroupKindWorker_Trader.GeneratePawns (RimWorld.PawnGroupMakerParms parms, RimWorld.PawnGroupMaker groupMaker, System.Collections.Generic.List1 outPawns, Boolean errorOnZeroResults) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at RimWorld.PawnGroupKindWorker.GeneratePawns (RimWorld.PawnGroupMakerParms parms, RimWorld.PawnGroupMaker groupMaker, Boolean errorOnZeroResults) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at RimWorld.PawnGroupMaker.GeneratePawns (RimWorld.PawnGroupMakerParms parms, Boolean errorOnZeroResults) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at RimWorld.PawnGroupMakerUtility+<GeneratePawns>c_IteratorC9.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at System.Collections.Generic.List1[Verse.Pawn].AddEnumerable (IEnumerable1 enumerable) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at System.Collections.Generic.List1[Verse.Pawn]..ctor (IEnumerable1 collection) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[Pawn] (IEnumerable`1 source) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at RimWorld.IncidentWorker_NeutralGroup.SpawnPawns (RimWorld.IncidentParms parms) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at RimWorld.IncidentWorker_TraderCaravanArrival.TryExecute (RimWorld.IncidentParms parms) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at RimWorld.Storyteller.TryFire (RimWorld.FiringIncident fi) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at RimWorld.IncidentQueue.IncidentQueueTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at RimWorld.Storyteller.StorytellerTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at Verse.TickManager.DoSingleTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 Verse.Log:Error(String) Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick() Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate() Verse.Game:UpdatePlay() Verse.Root_Play:Update()

I only have one mod installed and that is WM Too many Leathers. It doesn't appear to be doing anything though.
I would really like to fix this bug, so any advice would be appreciated(keep in mind I have already tried almost everything in the performance tips wiki page for the sub).

Link to google doc of full output_log: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JOK8MbkdCEaMfAe4Ajxx2NaivYoKDXKPO-yS-X7GdXo/edit?usp=sharing

(Cross post from the subreddit)

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Calahan

This is either a mod bug or a corrupted save caused by perhaps a missing mod. Have you enabled or disabled any mods during this specific game? Your log file says the save game was loaded with just the Core mod, but if there was any other mod active at any point then that missing mod could be the cause of these errors (for example that WM Too many Leathers mod you mention in the OP). Another possibility is that there appears to be some references in log file to the Core mod being in use, so maybe something has messed up your install and either corrupted your Core mod or made a unwanted copy of it (Steam randomly throwing some spanners around perhaps). I've also moved this to mod bugs as that's seems the most likely cause at the moment.

If it's either of the former two then... I have no idea to be honest, as I know little about RimWorld modding and even less about repairing broken saves. Maybe someone with more knowledge than myself will be able to help you in this regard. If it's the latter issue then a clean reinstall should fix it (backup your saves first). Details on how to perform a clean reinstall can be found here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=4805.0

Also, it's usually a good habit to get into to always zip text files that are over half a Mb, as they can take an age to load up on text dump sites in their native form, and sometimes crash browsers (as they starting hogging more system resources trying to view a huge text file) if they are particularly large. As such I've zipped your log file up and attached it to the OP.

Plus even if you are only using just one mod that makes an insignificant change, that still means you are playing a modded game. Vanilla and modded are (AFAIK) mutually exclusive, so I've amended your thread title accordingly.