Regrettably, idiot hunter behavior

Started by BladeOfSharpness, July 01, 2019, 01:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirby23590

@B@R5uk

Same here... I do that as well, and if i'm correct, i hunt deer and alpacas along dromedaries as well since they have a zero revenge chances. Though i used the current hunting against some animals that do have a chance of going into manhunter mode like muffalos but only if they want far away from their herd. Since most of my hunters have 6 or 8 shooting skills with their bolt-actions, sniper rifles or assault rifles.

But if their shooting skills is low then they are relegated to hunting animals that have a zero revenge chance instead or with another hunter in drafted hunts preferably to avoid getting clobbered by an angry muffalo.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Pangaea

Quote from: Canute on July 05, 2019, 03:39:24 PM
Personaly i think the hunting is fine like it is.
I agree. Naturally the OP's situation was unfortunate and probably a great outlier, but I'm actually rather pleased when animals happen to wander closer to the hunter. Makes it more likely the guy will hit before going to sleep. Quite often I manually move the guys closer to the animals and undraft so they can kill them more efficiently. At least in the early game when getting enough food is a fairly big issue.

Also what was mentioned above. Although I don't do that systematically, I like putting low-skilled people with minor/major shooting passion on hunting. Gradually they will improve. And missing a heap of shots will actually help with that. And it's simply fun to watch guys with assault rifles and fraekin' mini-guns to hunt for small prey  ;D

fritzgryphon

I can think of 2 main hunting flaws, that should be correctable.

1.  Friendly fire/hitting incorrect animal.

2.  Hunter getting stuck in a corner with nowhere to go if the target animal revenges.

Case 1 is easy to solve.  Just check the line of fire before shooting for non-targets.  If the line of fire is obstructed (within the limits of the gun's scatter pattern), the pawn is commanded to find a new shooting position nearby and try again.  Or, if the obstructing object is moving, just command the hunter to wait 1 second then try again.

Case 2 is harder but still possible. When selecting a shooting position, make an escape path test back to your colony (colony defined as the center of the largest contiguous home area).  If the distance to the closest point of the escape path to the target animal is less than the range of the shooting position to the target animal, reject the shooting position and try another one.  In other words, if the hunter must get closer to the target animal in order to flee from it, that position is rejected and a new shooting position is tested.  The new shooting positions to test could simply be a random point near the original one, in any accessible cell, that has the same range (or similar) as the original.

Pangaea

Quote from: fritzgryphon on July 05, 2019, 07:18:08 PM

2.  Hunter getting stuck in a corner with nowhere to go if the target animal revenges.

Case 1 is easy to solve.  Just check the line of fire before shooting for non-targets.  If the line of fire is obstructed (within the limits of the gun's scatter pattern), the pawn is commanded to find a new shooting position nearby and try again.  Or, if the obstructing object is moving, just command the hunter to wait 1 second then try again.
Seems like quite a bit of work for limited benefit?

Can imagine even more frustration if the coding for it isn't top notch. Guy with mini-gun or machine pistol (gun with large spread/low accuracy) is hunting. Spend 3 seconds or however long it is to warm up to shoot. OH NO. A rat walked into the line of fire. Abort and re-position. Repeat.

That would drive me nuts much faster than the odd 'friendly' fire hit. Not sure I've ever seen a true friendly fire tbh, as in hitting my own pawns. Probably do hit the 'wrong' buck and such once in a while, but that hardly matters when they're maybe all marked for culling anyhow. Less nice if you happen to hit and enrage a thrumbo of course, but they're so rare it's not likely to happen.

What frustrates me much more is the handling of jobs/hauling. Go to the other side of the map. Harvest 1 of 2 ambrosia. Go back without picking it up. Meanwhile another guy at base is heading for the 2nd ambrosia -- and will of course not pick it up after harvesting it either. And countless similar examples.

fritzgryphon

Well, the hunter wouldn't have to abort shooting for -any- obstruction, just ones that might cause a problem. 

Relevant obstructions would be
-Friendly or neutral colonist
-Owned animal
-Unowned animal with health greater than x, speed greater than the hunter's speed, and revenge chance greater than 0%.
-Explosive item within home area with blast radius that encompasses a structure or item stack.

Totally agree with you on the hauling thing.  Pawns should opportunisticly haul basically whenever they generate a new waypoint.  There's no reason not to (unless you directly order them to move somewhere).

LWM

Quote from: fritzgryphon on July 05, 2019, 07:18:08 PM

I believe you're looking at the Friendly Fire mod right there.  ISTR it has options that cover most of what you want.

So 1. is easily dealt with!

--LWM

Pangaea

Quote from: fritzgryphon on July 05, 2019, 08:02:26 PM
Totally agree with you on the hauling thing.  Pawns should opportunisticly haul basically whenever they generate a new waypoint.  There's no reason not to (unless you directly order them to move somewhere).

:wallbash: And this was after babysitting her so she would remove ALL floors, instead missing out on one tile because some dingus from the base 2 hours away would get over and remove one tile.