Mod upload without game run

Started by Penchekrak, August 17, 2019, 04:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penchekrak

I work on a program https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=49371.0 inspired by Mod Manager by Fluffy  and RWMS by shakeyourbunny.
It is based on a database of SteamWorkshop mods. The process of database construction is automated.

I also want to automate the process of database upload on SteamWorkshop as part of the mod. Run script once per week, for example, that uploads/updates mod on SteamWorkshop. Is it possible to upload mod without running the game? Steamcmd maybe?

RawCode

plan a:
attach to running steam and use workshop api\bindings to do exactly same things as game does.
all code you need is already present in game, just look inside "firstpass" dll
you can invoke all related methods without running game, but you will run your own app instead.

plan b:
ask user for login and password and use api directly, this does not require steam to run, but asking for login and password is neh.
steamcmd act same manner and will require login and pass for user, it does not support anon mods uploads.

plan c:
(actually, most simple and fast)
modify game's dll to inject very early and disable database loading and mod metadata parsing.
as result, you will have game, that load almost instantly and provide access to modloading features.
also you will have cross platform natively.

if you explain more, i will provide additional help, as i planned something similar (mod exchange string packed with base64) and part of mod was related to steamapi calls.