[TOOL] RimPy Mod Manager with auto mod sorting (Windows/Linux)

Started by Penchekrak, August 08, 2019, 07:52:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penchekrak

I have made a tool to change mod order offline (without need to run game) for myself. If you want, you may use it too.

How to install:
1. Download (link to latest build is always in the description of this mod):
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1847679158
2. Subscribe (to database itself):
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1847679158
3. Run RimPy

How to use:
1. Run RimPy.exe and you will see (make sure that all paths on top are ok, steam mods may be empty if you don't have steam). If RimPy made mistakes in pathes, make sure to change them with [...] buttons to appropriate ones.

RimPy Mod Manager is a tool that makes your life easier:

- Automatic mod sorting based on Steam pages database
- Activate mods by drag and drop or double click
- Activate multiple mods at once with SHIFT and CTRL combos
- Autodetect game, config and mods pathes (you are able to set them manually also)
- Context menu for a quick jump to mod folder or mod steam page
- Sorting takes into account Manifest.xml files and custom rules you can set manually
- Notifications and checks to make changes as safe as possible
- Automatic backup your config before changes apply (beware, every save rewrites backup file!)
- Clear button clears all mods except Core
- Restore button restores all changes back
- Restart button - quick restart to load newly added mods and manual config changes
- Save - saves ModsConfig.xml file
- Run game from the Rimpy Mod Manager
- One file installation
- Windows and Linux (Ubuntu tested) friendly

I need your support to make RimPy better, implement new functions and rent a server to make possible database autoupdates. If you like it, consider a donation, please: ko-fi.com/rupal_dev

Canute

Hi,
very nice looking GUI.
Maybe contact shakeyourbunny from the mod sorting tool.
Maybe you two could get an agreement and you could include the sorting function.
That would be much better then the command line script/executable.

rimmer21

Penchekrak

When you click "Save", program overwrites your ModsConfig.xml in
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios\Config
without any notifications.

Penchekrak

Quote from: Canute on August 08, 2019, 09:00:13 AM
Hi,
very nice looking GUI.
Maybe contact shakeyourbunny from the mod sorting tool.
Maybe you two could get an agreement and you could include the sorting function.
That would be much better then the command line script/executable.
I don't have much time. But maybe someday. I want to add sorting functionality based on Steam mods dependencies and manifests from Mod Manager by Fluffy. That will be not perfect since there are a lot of mods that do not declare dependencies on Steam mod pages and not all mods have manifest.xml file in it. Also I don't know how to do that. Looks like it is possible with topological sorting since I already have all Rimworld dependencies in database, but I am a noob in graphs.

P. S. Also there are difficulties with mod collections and as far as I know there are no solution. You can make a collection of mods in Steam but you are unable to share your mod settings with others. Since there are mods like Dubs Bad Hyegine, Rimfeller, Run and Gun and others, that are highly customizable and you want to make a collection of mods plus include your settings in, but unable. That is a problem that also needs a solution.
Btw, is it possible to include custom xml files, zip archives or .exe files in mods and upload it on Steam? So you make a mod "Collection core" with all settings, upload it on steam (include in your mod collection) and then run program that backups your settings and replaces it with settings from  "Collection core". What files are allowed to upload on Steam Workshop?

Canute

QuoteSteam but you are unable to share your mod settings with others.
The best are to share the Modconfig.xml or the safed modlist from Fluffy's Modmanager.
At both you got the load order which is the important part of these collections.

Penchekrak

Quote from: Canute on August 09, 2019, 08:52:28 AM
The best are to share the Modconfig.xml or the safed modlist from Fluffy's Modmanager.
At both you got the load order which is the important part of these collections.
That is not always true. For example, you have made a collection of 100 mods. Twenty of them have mod settings, that changes different aspects of game. You have already changed that settings so that 100 mods looks like one well balanced thing. You put your collection on Steam, players download collection with default settings and get contraversary feelings, because of game balance, visual appearence or game mechanics. To make collection feel like whole thing you have to share mod settings with others.
ModConfig.xml does not contain mod settings at all. You have to manually pack mod settings files, but that settings are not in one file or even one folder. But if you do that, how to give your settings to others?! You will have to upload zip file on cloud service and provide link, players have to download zip file and unpack settings in specific folders, don't forget that settings will replace their settings so they will have to make back of them. How many people will do that? I think 1 out of 100.

Canute

Yep, you are right that's the advanced technic.
Alternativ to the overwrite, you can provide a shortcut with "-savedatafolder=" to create another place for the config's just for this collection.

rimmer21

Quote from: Canute on August 09, 2019, 11:39:28 AM
Yep, you are right that's the advanced technic.
Alternativ to the overwrite, you can provide a shortcut with "-savedatafolder=" to create another place for the config's just for this collection.

How can I do this? It may help me so then I can drag it into my game's config location to overwrite because whenever I click save and reopen, the mods that I tried to activate are no longer activated. Like earlier mentioned, I've been using the Rimworld Mod Sorter command tool by shakeyourbunny and that overwrites the config just fine so maybe it is an incompatibility?

Penchekrak

rimmer21, that may be my bad code. So you ran pyModSorter, moves mods from left to right, press Save, then reopen pyModSorter and moved mods are on the left column? Did you try to activate local mods or steam mods, are paths on the top are ok (I mean all of them show right paths)?

rimmer21

Quote from: Penchekrak on August 09, 2019, 01:14:31 PM
rimmer21, that may be my bad code. So you ran pyModSorter, moves mods from left to right, press Save, then reopen pyModSorter and moved mods are on the left column? Did you try to activate local mods or steam mods, are paths on the top are ok (I mean all of them show right paths)?

Yes they are pathed correctly, I'm using local mods and I can see everything fine and reorder and all. The only issue is the save

Penchekrak

rimmer21, that was my bad code. I have fixed the issue, download link the same (first post), also have made some tweaks with UI. Added icons for local mods and background for mods.

P. S. Do not know why, but after image update in first post, it is looks oversized. Actual image: https://i.imgur.com/cASA4DO.png

rimmer21

rimmer21