Prologue: Impact

Started by litenthadark, February 05, 2015, 03:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

litenthadark

Chapter 1: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10119.0
Chapter 2: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10165.0

My name is Thomas Riley. I am... was... an engineer aboard the civilian transport vessel, "The Steel Horse". We were 10 days into our schedules travel time of 35 days, passing by a world not yet colonized by anyone as far as the records were concerned.

I was sitting in my room, grumbling about how lucky the passengers were to be in the cryosleep deck, not having to deal with boredom. The last call I had received had been a small engine issue related to power fluctuations. I simply changed out a small electrical component, one that was well-known for malfunctioning in the way this one had. That was on day one. For the next 9 days, I sat around and did absolutely nothing, except for the occasional book, or maybe some time working out. Every once and awhile I'd slip onto the deck where they stored the weapons and play around with them, testing them out in the small firing range the guards had set up. Other than that, I had nothing else to do.

When I woke up on day 11, something felt... off. The ship was quiet, running quieter than it ever have. Something was definitely not right. I flipped the switch to the lights in my room. Nothing. 'No electricity? Or an emergency notice from the captain? What the hell is going on?' I stumbled out of my room, tired, when all of the sudden, a large explosion rocked the entire ship. The electricity snapped back on, and red emergency lights flashed, alarms blared, and voices suddenly sparked up on the intercom.

"Please, take whatever you want out of the car-"

The voice was cut off by the sound of cold metal smacking skin... repeatedly... until it got wetter. It sounded like a wet bag being smashed against the ground.

"Fuck. Someone get me a towel. Arney, finish setting the charges."

I froze. I didn't know what to do. Another explosion shook me out of my trance, and I began sprinting towards the escape pods on the far side of the deck I was on. 'I wonder how many others made it...' As I sprinted, another explosion knocked me off my feet, sending me slamming into the wall. My eyes went wide with horror as I watched the wall be ripped to shreds by decompression, and felt the tug of space gripping me with it's long, cold fingers. Luckily, the blast doors were still functioning, and before I could be sucked out, the hole was sealed.

I quickly stood back on my feet and sprinted into the first open escape pod. I strapped myself in, and hit the launch button.

"3...2...1...Launch"

The pod shook violently, then evened out as I was pushed away from the ship. From the front window, I could see as the ship was ripped apart by explosion after explosion, chunks following me to the planet below. I broke through the atmosphere, and prayed the pod hadn't been damaged. If it had, I'd be cooked alive. I broke through the cloud layer, and for a minute, I had a beautiful view of this untainted world. Small smoke stacks in the distance indicated other crash sites, and lush forests stretched for miles. Tall, majestic mountain ranges stood against the horizon.

However, all beauty is taken too early, as chunks of debris broke through the cloud layer soon after me. The ground came up to meet me. Faster... faster... faster... impact. I unstrapped myself, looking at what I had with me. 14 days of survival rations, a Mk1 standard issue laser pistol, 100 silver that I had kept in my wallet, and 10 medkits. That was it. How was I supposed to survive with this?

As I stepped out of the pod to this harsh new world, I didn't know what to expect... only that I would need to do everything I could to stay alive. Even with no family or friends, I still had a promise to keep... and by God I would keep it.

Thanks for reading this short prologue to the stories I'll be posting starting tomorrow. There will be images included with my stories of my colony's survival. I am using a heavy mod set, with only one official "Starting" colonist. Hope you all will be interested in seeing where this story goes!

~Litenthadark

Chapter 1: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10119.0
Chapter 2: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10165.0

tuver

popster99

needs the mods your suing maby