Do you think Steel ore should be Iron ore instead?

Started by Vas, February 08, 2015, 02:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you rather the game use the realism of iron ore, or the questionable steel ore?

Iron Ore
Steel Ore

DustBust

It would definitely be a nice adder to the vanilla version which you would have to smelt and create bars for products. Just creates more depth in my opinion.

Vas

Funny, 71% of voters want this.  I'm gonna bump again so more people can see and discuss this because in my opinion, it is still a problem and I really don't want people getting used to it even though they already have mostly.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Boston

I also think that the current 'Steel" item you mine should reeealllllyyyy be renamed to "iron ore", mainly for realism purposes.

Also, my health is suffering as a result of facepalming every time I see chunks of steel poking out of rock formations. Steel rusts when exposed to water and air. That is .... that's just what it does. Chemical reactions, science and stuff.

NOTE: Iron rusts as well, just not as quickly as steel. Some types of iron, usually dependent on their chemical makeup, can actually be relatively impervious to rust. A specific type, known as "bog iron" was arguably the most common source of iron worldwide, up until the development of steam technology made actual mining economical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog_iron

Regret

Quote from: 200Down on February 11, 2015, 04:51:13 AM
Quote from: Bitharne on February 11, 2015, 03:30:13 AM
It would be similar to arguing that logs can only be used in construction after the were cut into planks. That said, I miss the old log wall :P

Just out of curiosity, I think I noticed some remnants of cutting logs by hand in one of the xml's. Was that in the game at one time or a planned feature that got abandoned. Don't really care ither way just curious is all.

ok back to the topic at hand;
Ya um... ya.. just can't do it.. no way no how... you guys suck for thinkin in any way differently than I do!  Ok so maybe it wasn't constructive but it was a comment. sorta.
Yeah, there used to be logs and planks in the game, a long long time ago.
It was fun flavor-wise but really annoying gameplay-wise.

Shenpen

There are no really good solutions to this choice, mainly because the use of metal is a bit more complicated than the understanding that the causual gamer is prone to have.

Iron ore: What you find in the underground, containing enough iron to be aviable source of iron.

Iron: The metal and the  chemical element  Fe, used in a lot of products.

Iron: The common name for products based on iron in some form, usually strengthened with a bit of carbon.

Cast Iron or Pig Iron: Used for casting products and has a high amount of carbon, but is brittle.

Steel: Is what is used in most standard production, has a lower amount of carbon and is easy to bend, shape, weld and mill.

Compacted iron: Some alloys of iron (mixes of iron and say titanium and vanadium) have a very high melting point at normal pressure, but putting a poweder in a cast under pressure helps make it bind at a lower temperature. This is called compacting or sintering.
Compacted iron would not be found in nature but is important in modern industry.

Toggle

Vas, not supposed to bump threads without actually adding something to contribute. This is part of the game lore, the steel isn't ore because it's not the planets natural resources, it's thousands of years of crashed ships and technology that you mine out of the planet.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Vas

Yes, ships crash and make an ore shape pile of steel, logical.
Or previous civilizations built their homes in ore shape pods.  Logical...
Steel didn't rust over those thousands of years.  Also "logical"....

That was all sarcasm by the way.

----
Also, would you rather I repost my threads instead if I'm not gonna bump it back up to relevance?
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Toggle

Yeah, it's not exactly flawless lore, but it's more to justify the gameplay aspects. As for bumping, literally a rule, if someone was searching for it to discuss they'd search it or ask again, link it back to here, but if the thread dies, the thread dies.

8. No content-free bumping: No posting of content-free posts in topics just to bump them to the top of the page.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

JKTD1919

The surface steel on the planets are supposed to be crashed ships. Not natural deposits. So it should stay "Compacted Steel" and not mineral iron.

Otherwise, you'd have to smelt iron to use it, which would be horrible early game, where metal is actually needed relatively early.
Os iusti meditabitur sapientian, et lingua eius loquetur iudicium. Venerit vir qui sufferit tentationem.

Vas

Zombie: I didn't post a totally contentless post.  I pointed out how 71% wants the change and said it's still an issue.

JKTD: Are you saying that you can use steel without shaping and cutting it?  Just take down some broken down steel wall that by some freak of physics didn't rust into a pile of dust over 3000 years, and make a bed out of it with no problems at all?  You must be the incredible hulk to bend that steel easily to fit what you need.  Or have tools so advanced that making Iron Ore usable would be a trivial task as well.

Vagabond

Vas,

I vote yes to Proposition 26 (Hehe. Anyone?)! Metal you grab out of a mountain should be iron ORE.

Any steel that has been sitting around long enough to get buried under a mountain would have oxidized into a dust. Not "compacted". Plasteel, assuming it is based on real stuff, is a fiberglass/steel composite. Same issue occurs with steel, it'll oxidize and the fiberglass will deteriorate within a century or so to just a pile of hay-like dirty fibers.

There should still be scrap metal available to reuse and map-gen buildings/ruins to cannibalize; perhaps even busted up ships/shuttles/escape pods. Expanding on that, whenever pawns land via shuttlepods, maybe they should stay as physical objects that can be dismantled for metal and components.

Whoever says "Hur hur fun>Realism" offend me on a personal and intellectual level and, in my opinion, have no business making suggestions for a sci-fi survival simulation. It is a cop out, it is lazy, and it totally undermines the nature of the genre. A true travesty of a legacy gifted to us by the brilliantly creative minds of people such as the "Big Three".

Cheers!
Michael

Note: I didn't read the thread at all. . . Until after I posted. It would seem my arguments aren't new. But still valid. Consider this support to what other intelligent people have said.

skullywag

A lot of what people are talking about here is real life. The plasteel here is probably based on the stuff from Dune which is a crystaline material for one. Also having it be ore means having another production step which Tynan deemed too much and i somewhat agree. Having it as compacted steel gets around that issue, is it perfect? No, but having ore is worse.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Vas

Its the people who like realism and can help make such small changes to keep realism while having fun who are great.  It is offensive that people claim fun beats realism when it's something so small as this.

I mean, how bad is it to have IRON FUCKING ORE?  How does that ruin the game in any way shape or form?  Iron is a metal, it is strong enough to do what it needs to do.  I have a table with Aluminum legs, and it holds up pretty well!  Why is Iron such a bad thing?  Steel is a man made metal and therefor must be constructed, can not be found naturally, and deteriorates and is insulting the intellect of the masses when used like this.  Making uneducated people think "wow, steel can survive thousands of years? That's awesome!" and then find out later it was just a game.  Why can't games have realism and fun?

We don't need to turn into Space Engineers, they abandon all realism in their game and went against their mission statement, lied about everything on their mission statement.  Everything in Space Engineers is a crock of shit, and I know this because I spent years modding for it trying to fix their crock of shit but they hard coded so much of the game, it can't be done.

An iron bed as opposed to a steel bed is not going to break game play in any way whatsoever.

skullywag

Its not the iron thats the issue its simply that iron ore would need processing and that was deemed too costly the games flow.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Thane

I support the change to iron. It seems less of a leap that the magic Omni tool refines mined minerals automatically than that steel can survive that long.

Though I do react to your SE remark. I admit they made concessions for gameplay (Jumpdrives, miniscule planets, sound effects, artificial gravity (that needs to die) and no aero-braking), but overall it is good for what it is (though you need the enterprise to run it well).
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.