[1.0/1.1/1.2] Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering 2.42 (27.08.2020)

Started by Ykara, February 19, 2015, 05:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like the changes in Version 2.0?

Yes
459 (83.3%)
Not all of them
72 (13.1%)
Not at all (please explain why!)
20 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 551

Pax_Empyrean

So I've been playing with this mod for a while and I really enjoy it. However, while there is far too much to handle it all with just one or two workbenches, there really are too many at present. I suggest consolidating the eight down to five as follows:

Prosthetics Workbench: combines basic and simple workbench
Bionics Workbench: combines bionic and advanced workbench
Organ Workbench: combines the two organ crafting workbenches

It's appropriate to have the research splitting up the tiers the way it does now. The way I would implement it with consolidated workbenches like I suggested is to have basic prosthetics and bionics unlock their respective workbenches, while simple prosthetics and advanced bionics unlock their recipes at those workbenches. Same deal with organ crafting: the basic one unlocks the bench, and the advanced one unlocks the advanced recipes.

chch88

can someone elaborate what exactly this systems do?
* Added a graft rejection system!
* Added an accustoming system!

Ykara

Quote from: chch88 on August 29, 2016, 04:43:18 AM
can someone elaborate what exactly this systems do?

I sure can!

Update 1.8 - Alpha 15 and the medical system deepening!
Heyo!
Alpha 15 is here, and so is the new EPOE update! And this is a big update. At least it was pretty time consuming to make. So what are these mysterious graft rejection and prostheses accustoming systems?
You now for example can't just put a liver in one of your colonists and expect it to immediately work as if nothing ever happened. Natural organs now have rejection reactions you have to treat, same for surrogate and synthetic organs.
And installing a peg leg now isn't such a simple and quick task anymore either. Your colonists now have to learn to use their new prosthesis and get initial maluses, for example with a peg leg you colonists have to learn to walk again.
That's basically the biggest change in this mod, and it's something I wanted to do for a very long time, because I've always felt that the medical system was a bit ... dull.
But there is more! For one and a half years you guys have constantly been reminding me of how much you dislike the number of new workbenches, so I sat down and thought about some ways to remove one workbench. I didn't want all the recipes on two tables, and I wanted the basic prosthethics table to remain a sperate workbench. So i settled for merging the two high tech benches, the synthetics and the advanced bionics ones. I hope that's what you had in mind!
Have fun!

Changes:
* Merged the advanced bionics workbench and the synthetics workbench + new texture
* Crafting synthetic organs now requires their surrogate counterparts
* The painkiller and the adrenaline rib now require go-juice and yayo
* Some brain implants now have some side effects
* Tribals now have to research basic prosthetics
* Building workbenches now requires components
* Fixed duplicate operation recipes
* Nerfed the hook hand damage

Grishnerf

Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

MoatBordered

Interesting. Now that's some pretty creative use of hediffs.  :o

I kinda like it these new systems.. will test for oddities soon..

BlueWinds

Quote from: Ykara on August 29, 2016, 06:56:57 AM

Any chance you could split these out into a separate mod? They sound like fantastic systems and I'd love to try them*.

* but don't really want 8 (or even 5) new workbenches, a new material and dozens of new items.

Ykara

Quote from: BlueWinds on August 29, 2016, 05:54:03 PM

Any chance you could split these out into a separate mod? They sound like fantastic systems and I'd love to try them*.

* but don't really want 8 (or even 5) new workbenches, a new material and dozens of new items.
First of all: There are "only" 5 new workbenches ^^
And yes, I could probably do that, it shouldn't be too much work if you only want the vanilla parts. I'm gonna see what I can do, and I'm glad you like the idea! I know it's not something everyone will instantly love, but I'm always open for suggestions!

BlueWinds

Quote from: Ykara on August 29, 2016, 06:12:17 PM

And yes, I could probably do that, it shouldn't be too much work if you only want the vanilla parts. I'm gonna see what I can do, and I'm glad you like the idea! I know it's not something everyone will instantly love, but I'm always open for suggestions!

Ah, I was basing it off the comment by Pax_Empyrean earlier on this page: "I suggest consolidating the eight down to five as follows". I haven't actually installed EPOE since my initial trial back in... a12, I think it was... so I'm not exactly up to date.

For EPOE "core", my suggestion is the same as 1000101 - remove vancidium. If you want things to be expensive, just use gold + plasteel in the recipe. If you want it to be slow, just make it take a lot of work. No need to add a new material for that.

(I'd have to actually play with it for a bit to make constructive suggestions on reducing workbench count, so instead I'll make an unproductive one. :P The Component Assembly Bench could probably take a ton of new recipes without much trouble)

Dingo

I think I've identified which mods I really -love- in RimWorld and which I just like and use. The most important difference is the tried and true "less is more", which is something I feel has been brought up in the comments here quite a number of times.
Basically, add as much as you can without overloading a mod with content. If that means making a modular release or even separate mods for different unique systems and make them all compatible.

I would still use EPOE even if it retains its current release module but I think you could do pretty much everything here with far less redundancy. Here's what I would suggest compared to the opening post's description:

• Prosthesis workbench, unlocks more advanced prosthesis with further research

• Bionics workbench, much more advanced and requires further research and expensive materials / work time.

• Tissue printer (or something similar) for organ crafting. Requires a very high tech colony to engineer and very high medical stat for organ manufacturing. Probably don't let it engineer complex parts like brain/heart.

• Keep the graft rejection and accustoming mechanisms, maybe as a separate mod that is compatible with both EPOE and vanilla.

• Integrate the new traders' stocks into existing traders with appropriate rarity, maybe add one rare late game trader for bionics parts / upgrades and make it expensive.

• Rest of the mod seems fine. The added functionality and zaniness is very RimWorld to be honest.

Shinkai

Quote from: BlueWinds on August 29, 2016, 06:31:46 PM

Ah, I was basing it off the comment by Pax_Empyrean earlier on this page: "I suggest consolidating the eight down to five as follows". I haven't actually installed EPOE since my initial trial back in... a12, I think it was... so I'm not exactly up to date.

For EPOE "core", my suggestion is the same as 1000101 - remove vancidium. If you want things to be expensive, just use gold + plasteel in the recipe. If you want it to be slow, just make it take a lot of work. No need to add a new material for that.

(I'd have to actually play with it for a bit to make constructive suggestions on reducing workbench count, so instead I'll make an unproductive one. :P The Component Assembly Bench could probably take a ton of new recipes without much trouble)

I actually kind of like the vancidium component.

My only issue with it is that it can get... excessive.

Like 1 Vancidium takes 10 plasteel 25 steel and 20 gold iirc.

And 5 Vancidium is used to make 1 advanced component.

And synth organs can take up to 6 advanced components. 6*5= 30*10, 30*25, 30*20.

300 plasteel, 750 steel, 600 gold.

For one painstopper(iirc)

One painstopper. Takes almost as much material for an entire ship power plant.

Its a bit excessive.

Janus

Is it intentional that this mod removes the medicine crafting recipe added by vanilla A15 (herbal medicine + cloth + neutroamine)? Without the mod, the bill is available in the drug lab once you've researched medicine crafting. With the mod, it's no longer there.

If it is intentional, am I missing some other method of crafting medicine which is added by the mod?

viktoria.s

But there is more! For one and a half years you guys have constantly been reminding me of how much you dislike the number of new workbenches, so I sat down and thought about some ways to remove one workbench. I didn't want all the recipes on two tables, and I wanted the basic prosthethics table to remain a sperate workbench. So i settled for merging the two high tech benches, the synthetics and the advanced bionics ones. I hope that's what you had in mind!

To be honest I don't quite like this change. My preference is to have  4 workbenches:

• basic prosthetics workbench just the way it was in alpha 14
  • bionics workbench with the bionics and the advanced bionics recipes
  • simple prosthetics workbench just the way it was in alpha 14
  • organ workbench with the surrogate organ workbench and the synthetic organ assembler recipes
In my opinion it is more logical because in this way it is more easy to find the recipe you are looking for: if you want a bionic body part you go for the bionics workbench, if you want to create an artificial organ you go for the organ workbench.
But anyways this is a great mod  ;) and I really really love it  :) :) :). Thank you for all your hard work.

Ykara

Thank you very much for your construcive feedback, I'm currently thinking about making the graft rejefection and the bionic accustoming systems a modular choice.
And about vancidium: I have already lowered the cost of the painstopper in this update, but I can see why it's still to much. I could make the advanced components cheaper to make. Vancidium is basically just for cutting down the amount of materials needed for crafting body parts, because you can only fit three different materials on a workbench, so removing vancidium altogether would either make body parts too cheap or you would have to fill up half the room with steel and plasteel.

Quote from: Janus on August 30, 2016, 01:29:41 AM
Is it intentional that this mod removes the medicine crafting recipe added by vanilla A15 (herbal medicine + cloth + neutroamine)? Without the mod, the bill is available in the drug lab once you've researched medicine crafting. With the mod, it's no longer there.

If it is intentional, am I missing some other method of crafting medicine which is added by the mod?
That's definitely not intentional, thanks for reporting, I'm gonna look into that. I really don't know what went wrong there, I altered nothing related to the new workbench and recipes.

Quote from: viktoria.s on August 30, 2016, 05:24:51 AM

To be honest I don't quite like this change. My preference is to have  4 workbenches:

• basic prosthetics workbench just the way it was in alpha 14
  • bionics workbench with the bionics and the advanced bionics recipes
  • simple prosthetics workbench just the way it was in alpha 14
  • organ workbench with the surrogate organ workbench and the synthetic organ assembler recipes
In my opinion it is more logical because in this way it is more easy to find the recipe you are looking for: if you want a bionic body part you go for the bionics workbench, if you want to create an artificial organ you go for the organ workbench.
But anyways this is a great mod  ;) and I really really love it  :) :) :). Thank you for all your hard work.
That's also a good idea. My idea behind the upgrading station is, that it includes all recipes that require their respective lower tier part - hence the name upgrading station. But your approach is more effective as it seems. I'm gonna think about it, thanks for the idea!

Quote from: Dingo on August 29, 2016, 07:05:23 PM
I think I've identified which mods I really -love- in RimWorld and which I just like and use. The most important difference is the tried and true "less is more", which is something I feel has been brought up in the comments here quite a number of times.
Basically, add as much as you can without overloading a mod with content. If that means making a modular release or even separate mods for different unique systems and make them all compatible.

I would still use EPOE even if it retains its current release module but I think you could do pretty much everything here with far less redundancy. Here's what I would suggest compared to the opening post's description:

• Prosthesis workbench, unlocks more advanced prosthesis with further research

• Bionics workbench, much more advanced and requires further research and expensive materials / work time.

• Tissue printer (or something similar) for organ crafting. Requires a very high tech colony to engineer and very high medical stat for organ manufacturing. Probably don't let it engineer complex parts like brain/heart.

• Keep the graft rejection and accustoming mechanisms, maybe as a separate mod that is compatible with both EPOE and vanilla.

• Integrate the new traders' stocks into existing traders with appropriate rarity, maybe add one rare late game trader for bionics parts / upgrades and make it expensive.

• Rest of the mod seems fine. The added functionality and zaniness is very RimWorld to be honest.
Some good suggestions here! As I've said, I could make the graft rejection and bionics accustoming system modular. Integrating the traders is also a good idea, that could help condensing the mod. Thanks!

123nick

Quote from: BlueWinds on August 29, 2016, 06:31:46 PM

but i like vancidium. its neat. maybe u can have it be made in the smithy? or machining table? then, it would be more of a dependence on other things before organs, so you cant have synthetic organs yet be unable to make a steel sword :P

matty491

I wish it could be removed because using Prepare Carefully I now can't install any bionics straight off the bat :/

In fact I dislike this new edition so much that I'm gonna role back to A14 mod even if it gives me errors!