UNKNOWN WORLD (UW)

Started by jamieg, April 23, 2014, 01:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamieg

MOD BEING MADE BY ZELLDOT AND JAMIEG (who are now storytellers in UW)

PLEASE READ:We plan to bring you a whole new experience with our full conversion mod Unknown World, This mod completely changes Rimworld from the basic textures down to the items you can create, we see no end in sight for this mod and the possibility's are endless! ALSO we are happy for people to create mods for Unknown World :)

I know... your thinking, So when can we play this? and we plan to release this mod ASAP (It will be ready when its ready) but we still have a lot of work to do until we can provide the experience that we want to provide.

How the Tech Tree works:

The Technology in this mod will work very differently to original Rimworld in the sense that you have to build up to things like electricity and high powered machines and start in the stone age and work your way through the research advancing to the metal stage then on to the industrial stage, after that its on to the modern age before landing in the space age. We plan to have a research TREE that opens up and SPREADS out as you progress through the game rather than the list of research projects available in Rimworld atm (in the sense that you start with alot to choose from where as in Unknown World you only have a few research projects available when you start and depending what you choose will open up new ones)

Latests News:

Keep an eye out for Blitz and Falcon doing sneak peaks into Unknown World

WE WILL NOT BE RELEASING A PUBLIC VERSION UNTIL UNKNOWN WORLD IS FINISHED SORRY

FUTURE PLAN IDEAS:

-The abilty to research things like power generators and stronger walls, also food replicators (if you want to find out what this is then check this wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replicator_(Star_Trek) 
-A wide variety of weapons and workbenches!!
-Whilst in the earlier stages, we will use things like catapults as turrets until better research has been completed.

OUR TEST TEAM

-Darkfirephoenix
-Viceroy
-Americany13
-123Nick

Guys if you have any ideas for this that are not in there please post them here http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3199.15 we are working on something a little more discreet for testers to communicate about bits from UW :)

as far as im aware its against the Ludeon rules to give our mod away without permission, so if you have a test version and share it with people that do not have permission, or make it public in any form, then we will do our upmost to ensure its removed and the correct action is taken against the person responsible, this also includes un authorized you tube videos.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IT REALLY HELPS US IF YOU SHOW SUPPORT FOR WHAT WE ARE DOING BY COPYING AND PASTING THIS CODE BELOW INTO YOUR LUDEON FORUM SIGNATURE, this will post the Unknown world banner under your posts(like mine) And also encourage us to work harder  :P

[url=http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3270.0][img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/10314459_727946140562017_440326246559354183_n.png[/img][/url]
YES! Its true! im updating The BIG BANG mod pack check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orzLZbECR20&list=UUr1sEPUEhFqy01q16zGisIg

zelldot

This is the update to the post 'Alien World' feel free to post here, the old post has been removed. Even though jamieg made this post, I will be creating the main bulk of this mod and keeping a close eye on this thread. I mainly let jamieg deal with the PR as im more of the recluse socially. Im just making something that feels right for an alien world.

Stankor

Exciting idea, I'll definitely try it when it's out. :D

americany13

Just wondering who is involved and if you could use any help. I just recently started, but i'd like to learn from the pros.

iame6162013

I can't wait what will happen to this :)
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

jamieg

Quote from: americany13 on April 23, 2014, 09:16:12 AM
Just wondering who is involved and if you could use any help. I just recently started, but i'd like to learn from the pros.

Hey Buddy we would love some help, and i personally am still learning from Zelldot(he is the pro not me lol) the only thing is, is that we still dont know completely where we are going with this and Zelldot is basically happy to help you learn and we are happy to add you to the team but would prefer to discuss your role with us a little bit more before we jump straight in :) feel free to inbox me and we can speak further :D
YES! Its true! im updating The BIG BANG mod pack check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orzLZbECR20&list=UUr1sEPUEhFqy01q16zGisIg

Cala13er

If you guys need any dll stuff let us know, I wouldn't mind being part of 2 full conversion mods. Can offer a lot in the terms of dll mods.

jamieg

Callum ill get Zelldot to get back to you as he is fully up to date with anything we may need in this, but unfortunately he is in bed not feeling so great so dont think we are ignoring your offer :) i just cant answer it right now ;) but thanks mate

Viceroy

Looks like the planet is orbiting a red dwarf because of the plant colour. Might want to add monsoon-like events and also consider that for life to be plausible around such a planet it would likely be tidally locked. This could mean the planet has constant day on one side and constant night on the other. Resulting in very powerful weather systems from the temperature differences.

Here is an article about what conditions would have to be like for life to survive on such a planet. If you want to go full-on nerd and if the planet is indeed in such a system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitability_of_red_dwarf_systems

Mod looks interesting, will definitely try it out.

Dog goes moo!

zelldot

Quote from: Viceroy on April 24, 2014, 05:36:21 AM
Looks like the planet is orbiting a red dwarf because of the plant colour. Might want to add monsoon-like events and also consider that for life to be plausible around such a planet it would likely be tidally locked. This could mean the planet has constant day on one side and constant night on the other. Resulting in very powerful weather systems from the temperature differences.

Here is an article about what conditions would have to be like for life to survive on such a planet. If you want to go full-on nerd and if the planet is indeed in such a system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitability_of_red_dwarf_systems

Mod looks interesting, will definitely try it out.

I like you, speak more, I might speak more. I'm going for a more factual feel than fantasy, but obviously seeping into fantasy with the space age stuff, possible paths for our future tech, but I'm trying to keep its feeling to be as real as scientifically possible.

At the moment I am creating the stone age soon to be in the bronze age part of this mod, I have been talking among my mates more about the industrial and space age.

zelldot

My mate jamieg was just on the whos online page and we saw someone printed this out?!?!

Viceroy

Hey again, just saw your response. Cool dude, I am also a bit of a space hermit but yeah let's speculate how life on such a planet could be.

I am uncertain what can and cannot be implemented and what exactly you would want to, so I'll just keep going in a general direction.

1. Planetary Conditions:
The planet could orbit said Red Dwarf and be caught in a tidal lock, the same side would face the sun at all times, and due to the proximity needed to a colder Red Dwarf the planet would likely have massive and scorching solar flares. These flares could happen on a daily basis, scientists theorise, although this point will fall to game balance more than science I believe. The star would be very active and flare for roughly the first billion and a half years of its lifespan. This means you can indeed do without the flares. Although the most likely scenario would be damaginf flares every few days or weeks. Plant-life would survive this by retracting into the ground, shielding itself by closing protective shells or petals, or alternatively smaller plants would simply burn away leaving roots or bulbs in the ground to regrow.

Similarly animal life would have to be adapted as well, larger creatures would have some means of UV protection, possibly retreating into a hardened shell for the flare, small creatures would likely burrow or retreat into cracks/caves.

Even with the solar threat though such a planet would not necessarily be barren. The planet could speculatively be incredibly moist, with most life ocurring on the twilight sections of the world. The enhanced atmospheric shielding given by the angle to the sun, and the proximity to the turbulant dark-side (where a never ending storm occurs between light and dark) would plausibly create an area of relentless rainstorms and extreme weather, this would cause the edge-zone to be the source of sprawling wetlands and winding rivers and swamps. This would likely be the source of most weather systems on the world. Even though superficially the planet seems to be static, it is an illusion created by the solar position, the planet does rotate so it will have wind systems in the high atmosphere also. And keep in mind the dark side will fall well below -40c and the light side directly facing the sun would have temperatures that could rise to +80c. Also studies have shown that it is possible for air and water circulation between the dark and light sides to occur without necessarily freezing.

2. Fauna and Flora
As any (Habitable) planet it will have massive variation of life occuring, this can range from tiny and colonial insect life all the way to massive, barely-moving beasts that extract minerals from the ground and photosynthesize for nourishment. It will likely have a large spectrum of animals using the sun to bolster nutrition, or at the very least many animals will use the sun as a way to manage temperature effectively. Given that it is stationary in the sky, there is no need for other regulatory systems apart from perhaps opening flaps to absorb heat or dissipate it.

Also there is indication that solar flares emit a certain detectable signature (be it radiation or electro-magnetism) before flaring, many animals and plants will likely have evolved to detect this. They will likely use this to queue closing of shells or in some cases even the opening of heat absorbing flaps if they need to rapidly heat up or heat something up.

Another thing that would likely occur is forced climate change by plants, the flares would (if occuring) cause DNA damage to anything exposedm so plants or colonies of insects or whatever you like, even blankets of fungus, could emit "spore" bursts to obscure the sun, millions of plants releasing this burst of floating particles or gas could block out the sun in a flare or at the very least lower the damage done to closer to sunburn rather than cancer inducing flashes and massive fires.

This could be a nice event to have on some flares (or even all flares to explain why settlers outside are not burnt to death (might still get a little damage as sunburn still)

Water on the surface of the planet would possibly become gelled by organisms living within it, this could make it walkable and mineable, it would be used by micro-organisms as a sunshield or even possibly a means of making the colony spread when animals eat the gel and it sticks to their faces as they move to liquid water...

Just remember that as most animals would hide in a flare (even with the fungal burst or whatever), you will very likely see dangerous predators emerging to devour static organisms. Also after each flare there will likely be a few dead animals (should be anyway) that will attract the scavengers of the planet.

Also due to the flares some plants might actually use heating "arrays" to melt minerals or superheat gasses for defense. Some plants might even use it to kill smaller creatures around them for fertilising purposes. Even electrically charged plants are possible. It all depends on *where* on such a planet the crashsite is though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway I hope it is not all gibberish hahaha, perhaps you can draw some inspiration from it and build on it. I myself have been jonesing for a more realistic world and crash-landing. I hope you at the very least found this an enjoyable read.

Kind regards.

Dog goes moo!

Celthric Aysen

My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

jamieg

I wont quote it but Viceroy you rock!! I want to start changing the animals today but i am literally going to have Titanfall in 20 minutes so ill probs play that today but i wil defo take in your ideas when doing so and im sure Zelldot(my flatmate) will enjoy reading this when he gets up! but we had a late night last night :)

Viceroy

My pleasure and thank you for the compliment, you rock too. lol
Dog goes moo!