Mod Forum

Started by Rhodes, November 12, 2013, 01:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhodes

Would it be possible to get a forum for modded content?  I have a few mods I've created and wouldn't mind sharing if people are interested (I'm assuming mods are allowed based on the FAQ I read).

FlyingTurtles

What would said mods include??

Morrigi

What mods would said forums include? 

Semmy

I will look into this.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Tynan

Forum added. Have fun!

I'll also have to see exactly how you modded the game before I created any mod hooks :P
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Semmy

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: Tynan on November 12, 2013, 10:50:26 PMI'll also have to see exactly how you modded the game before I created any mod hooks :P

The crazies on the internet modded the Temple of Elemental Evil. IIRC it required entirely new Dynamic Link Libraries and basically running decryption algorithyms to ferret out info that Atari did not want exposed to modding.

You're using XML files. That there is mod hook #1. :)
Raiders must die!

Nocebo

Perhaps a sub forum for instructions on how people did things would be nice.
I know how to work with XML files just fine, but much more then that i start to question myself.

I'm not asking for massive guides for something that isn't even officially supported yet. But it would give people that have crazy ideas a little nudge to try and work their idea's out before suggestion them. If we could get a little help.

I would love to give my shy lamp or the Dire Boommuffallo's idea a shot to see how much fun it would add for myself without bogging down developers.
Supporter of The Mad Boommuffalo Project!

Galileus

Quote from: Nocebo on November 13, 2013, 07:10:29 AM
Perhaps a sub forum for instructions on how people did things would be nice.
I know how to work with XML files just fine, but much more then that i start to question myself.

I'm not asking for massive guides for something that isn't even officially supported yet. But it would give people that have crazy ideas a little nudge to try and work their idea's out before suggestion them. If we could get a little help.

Started that already... ;)

Nocebo

Quote from: Galileus on November 13, 2013, 07:18:58 AM

Not that I don't appreciate the effort but: Thread /= Sub Forum
A sub forum would contain other threads, of people asking for modding help, or to share modding ideas and guides on how they already created a mod. Since Tynan already stated he would like to know this himself since there are no modding hooks yet. This can't possible all be done inside 1 thread, it will need a Sub Forum.
Supporter of The Mad Boommuffalo Project!

Produno

Quote from: Nocebo on November 13, 2013, 05:43:29 PM
Quote from: Galileus on November 13, 2013, 07:18:58 AM

Not that I don't appreciate the effort but: Thread /= Sub Forum
A sub forum would contain other threads, of people asking for modding help, or to share modding ideas and guides on how they already created a mod. Since Tynan already stated he would like to know this himself since there are no modding hooks yet. This can't possible all be done inside 1 thread, it will need a Sub Forum.

Agreed, but its probably not something needed right now. Though it would probably be good to consider adding in the future sub forums for: Modding help. Completed Mods / OSP packs. W.I.P Mods (development).

Rhodes

Thank you Tynan!  I will make good use of it.

As for guides in modding; for most users it's a bit much until XML modding is supported.  My current method involves disassembling files and modifying the values via assembly before recompiling.  It's not elegant, but it works.

I'm not even sure my method is entirely legal (though we have Tynans approval).  So if he issues a cease and desist I'll be forced to remove my work. :P

Produno

Quote from: Rhodes on November 13, 2013, 05:54:53 PM
Thank you Tynan!  I will make good use of it.

As for guides in modding; for most users it's a bit much until XML modding is supported.  My current method involves disassembling files and modifying the values via assembly before recompiling.  It's not elegant, but it works.

I'm not even sure my method is entirely legal (though we have Tynans approval).  So if he issues a cease and desist I'll be forced to remove my work. :P

I too am not sure if de-compiling commercial game code is legal or not. Maybe Tynan can shed some light on this. I guess only if you share the assets it can become a problem. Although as long as Tynan is fine with it then it should be ok.

Btw, what method did you use to decompile the files? :)

Rhodes

I don't want to give out too much information until I know for sure from Tynan if my methods are acceptable or not.  It lets me peek into the inner workings of the game and see things he might not want public knowledge.  So, I'll with-hold detailed information for now.

I'm pro-learning though, so I will tell you that I use .Net Reflector to decompile the dll (with the Reflexil add-in).  If you know anything about coding, it should only take you 5-10 minutes to understand how to break stuff. :P  Or make it better!

Galileus

Quote from: Rhodes on November 13, 2013, 06:09:24 PMIf you know anything about coding, it should only take you 5-10 minutes to understand how to break stuff

It takes me about 5-10 seconds to break stuff, and that without even reaching into programming know-how :P

Oh, how well do I remember how I was modding Civ5 for multi game with my pal, and mixed up the XMLs... instead of increasing nuke range to 20 or so tiles (it was also a modded, huuuuuge map) I increased the radius to 20 or so tiles. He wiped 3 enemy cities, 2 other enemy cities and 1 of his own. But he was happy and that's all that matters ^w^

also, Civ5 with [echo]HYPERCHARGEDDDD![/echo] flanking and defensive bonuses was OH SO SWEET.