Progressive story

Started by Semmy, October 02, 2013, 06:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Semmy

I was thinking about story progression.

Instead of trying to explain let me just write it down real quick.
If you for instance got a flooding.
Than after that instead of looking for something new interesting the first 1 maybe 2 or 3 events should be related.
the 1st should be 75% likely the 2nd 50% and 3th 25%
The followup incident could be for instance famine or some sort of disease or muddy ground wich makes walking around tougher or makes some settlers sink in. For instance it could cause shortage near your power supplies making it so that you have to send guys over to fix it before power gets back
etc etc.

This will make it more feel like a progressive story.
Like in real life.
some floodings dont cause shit others spoil stuff like in japan.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Yarkista

Quote from: Semmy on October 02, 2013, 06:09:12 PM

Than after that instead of looking for something new interesting the first 1 maybe 2 or 3 events should be related.
The followup incident could be for instance famine or some sort of disease or muddy ground wich makes walking around tougher or makes some settlers sink in. For instance it could cause shortage near your power supplies making it so that you have to send guys over to fix it before power gets back
etc etc.

Like in real life.

So your on about progression? That's not a storyteller.

Semmy

Quote from: Yarkista on October 02, 2013, 06:30:05 PM

etc etc.

Like in real life.

urm it is imho
a story progresses. but name it how you want to name it a story that continues or a chapter that lasts longer.

or like part 3 of a song of ice and fire that got split into 2 books.
Edmund Burke

Yarkista

Quote from: Semmy on October 02, 2013, 06:37:19 PM

etc etc.

Like in real life.

urm it is imho
a story progresses. but name it how you want to name it a story that continues or a chapter that lasts longer.

...So story progression?

Semmy

Quote from: Yarkista on October 02, 2013, 06:45:57 PM
Quote from: Semmy on October 02, 2013, 06:37:19 PM

etc etc.

Like in real life.

urm it is imho

...So story progression?

i'm lost now but i think so yeah d-;

lets not yibberyabber about the details but lets look at the idea
Edmund Burke

AspenShadow

I'm just eye-balling it here, but I think what they mean is that this is a thread for Storyteller (the game's difficulty AIs) as opposed to story progression itself.

Finjinimo

You're talking about related events occurring together in a clump or chapter yes?

If one event fires, other events related to that have an increased chance of firing.

So the events should feel more natural and tied together to the player rather than just random occurrences.

A basic example might be:

Event: Heatwave - Colonists dislike manual labor

Follow up events:

- Famine: crops die
- Mad Muffulo: muffulo go mad from heat and lack of water
- Air-Con: a colonist found a way to better circulate air in the colony, Colonists +1 happiness...

or whatever.

Cause and effect in small chapters that help the player feel more like the story is evolving rather than just random events.

CommieKazie

I like this idea.  Having events be related to eachother would create a more seamless feel to the world.  It'd feel like a better simulation.

This could be tied into more minor things as well, a flood or heat-wave could have buffs and de-buffs on various plant and animal types.  Like the blog post on the emergent ecology in this game, in-game events could effect what sorts flora and fauna you came in contact with.

Zeiph

I don't know how the event are currently "drawn" (I read I don't know where that the storyteller is picking cards and playing them, laying a story), but I think that an event increasing the odds of related events seems interesting at first, and to developpe the idea, maybe it could on the other end decrease the odds of other events to happen.

To follow the previous example, let's say you had your heatwave - crop die arc, your colony, as it currently has less interesting stuff to harvest may happen to be a less interesting target for potential raiders.

CommieKazie

Quote from: Zeiph on October 07, 2013, 02:56:20 PM
To follow the previous example, let's say you had your heatwave - crop die arc, your colony, as it currently has less interesting stuff to harvest may happen to be a less interesting target for potential raiders.

Alternatively, Raiders may also be suffering from lack of food, and be more desperate in their attacks.  I saw a post by Tynan saying that attackers give up at a certain % of losses.  It'd be interesting if the status of the world influenced that percentage, and not have it just be a difficulty thing.

British

Quote from: CommieKazie on October 07, 2013, 03:03:59 PM
Alternatively, Raiders may also be suffering from lack of food, and be more desperate in their attacks.
The thing with raiders in the current iterations of RW is that, they just appear on the map in their pods, take some time to prepare, and then go after you.
They don't make camp.

I don't know what happens when they actually flee and you don't go after them...
Maybe they bleed to death or come back later, but in any case, they don't linger.

enystrom8734

Quote from: British on October 07, 2013, 03:10:34 PM
Alternatively, Raiders may also be suffering from lack of food, and be more desperate in their attacks.
The thing with raiders in the current iterations of RW is that, they just appear on the map in their pods, take some time to prepare, and then go after you.
They don't make camp.

I don't know what happens when they actually flee and you don't go after them...
Maybe they bleed to death or come back later, but in any case, they don't linger.

As of right now they walk off the map and disappear.
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734

CommieKazie

Quote from: British on October 07, 2013, 03:10:34 PM
They don't make camp.

I meant the global existence of raiders that floats in the mind of the game.  When desperate straits come to the player, it is likely that other 'people' in the game (who don't exist on the map) would also be facing similarly desperate times.  Therefore when they are materialized onto the map the storyteller would give them different traits and personalities.  If they're more desperate for food, perhaps they spend less time scouting (less warning time), and are willing to take more losses when they attack.  Perhaps their motives for attacking change (steal your food machine and as much of your food as they can).  Maybe kidnap some of your people for food, etc...

Zeiph

Quote from: CommieKazie on October 07, 2013, 03:24:50 PM
Maybe kidnap some of your people for food, etc...

This is something I like. as a kidnapping behaviour of the raider may be pretty established, there could be some way to bargain back your colonist out of the kidnapping...

British

I always had in mind that they attack to pillage, but not just for food.

I suspect we'll get solid backgrounds when we get factions :P