Alpha 9 Mod Request: Armour doesn't take wear damage or absorption damage

Started by Frazzles, February 24, 2015, 08:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frazzles

Long story short: I greatly dislike the way armour is now a completely downhill battle. Saving up 26000 silver for a legendary Power Armour and then having it wither away to nothing for no reason is extremely bothering. Between all the micromangement already in the game, I was so annoyed with the new armour system (especially since there is no way to repair it) that I just left all my colonists naked for the rest of the game. The fact you don't always get items at 100% health is already an adequate enough way to balance things in my opinion.

Disabling deterioration outdoors is simple enough but I can't figure out how to disable wear or absorption damage. I long to have back the older armour system for the sheer sake of playability.

If anyone can do this, I'd really appreciate it.

TimTumm

Seconded.
Did you say "Disabling deterioration outdoors is simple enough"?  Is it easy to code (not easy for most) or a simple xml change (which even I can do).

Frazzles

I found the deterioration in the xml files (ThingDefs folder). I just changed all the rates from 1 to 0 for armour and weapons.
I think I might have found the code for absorption damage in the actual Rimworld code, but I have no idea how to make the folder a .dll again  >:( >:( >:(

TimTumm

I found the xml files (there are a bunch of them) and adjusted det to 0.  Thanks a lot.

raul1212

changing the xml files didnt stop deterioration for me :/ altho i am not sure if i did it right since there was only one variable mentioning it per xml :/

SilverTitch

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10908.0

A mod to repair clothes. haven't gave it a proper try myself yet but i assume you can repair armour.

><

Frazzles

Quote from: SilverTitch on March 04, 2015, 07:07:12 AM
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10908.0

A mod to repair clothes. haven't gave it a proper try myself yet but i assume you can repair armour.

><

Yes thank you Silver. The mod wasn't released when I first posted this request but I am using it now combined with a few personal tweaks (I changed all apparel to have x10 their original health, and disabled deterioration for nearly all items)

Quote from: raul1212 on March 04, 2015, 01:18:19 AM
changing the xml files didnt stop deterioration for me :/ altho i am not sure if i did it right since there was only one variable mentioning it per xml :/

Changing Deterioration from 1 to 0 will stop deterioration for items placed outside/in the rain, but it won't stop damage-over-time nor protected damage for apparel.

Didact04

I think it's SORT OF meant to encourage players to have different wardrobes for their colonists (ie, not have them wear all their combat gear constantly), but yeah, there's already plenty of micro-management in game and all it does is make me even more isck of clicking than I already am in Rimworld. There's a whole lot of clunk that needs to get ironed out before anything like that can be feasible.

Beyond that, not having armor degrade when used is just...silly, really.

Woyzeck

My solution to wear & tear problems has been to:
*Drastically increase armor health - 800 for vest and kevlar/metal helmets, 1000 for power armor and power armor helmet
*Reduce armor exposure deterioration rate (0.5 IIRC)
*Reduce weapon exposure deterioration rate to 0.5
*Increase health on certain mechanically simpler/more robust weapons, such as the bolt-action rifles and pump-action shotgun

My first colony hasn't seen a ton of combat and is short on armor, so I don't know how bad hit-absorption deterioration is yet. Possibly bad, given that my personal mod uses MUCH higher ratings on armor items. Because armor that doesn't protect properly is dead weight. I also gave power armor a speed bonus, because mobility is life, and all that. In previous alphas I found these higher settings really helped move combat out from behind fortified walls and positions - while also making those better-equipped enemies more dangerous, and more likely to successfully flee (meaning I could no longer count on growing fat from killing and looting the more elite raiders).

One further thing I'd like to do, but haven't figured out how yet, is to make item quality effect item max health. Higher quality clothes should be longer lasting clothes, and ditto armor and weapons. As it is, I've already drastically reduced the bonuses/penalties to protection, accuracy, etc. as effected by quality. 100% accurate assault rifles were silly. That's what lasguns are for.