[discussion] Simplifying the degradability as sort of suffix-perishability

Started by Kegereneku, February 24, 2015, 02:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kegereneku

I have to say the new features definitely add more depth to our survival.
But the micro-management become unbearable quite fast. I'll even say that it go too far by moment, many items don't really need to degrade over time. And other wouldn't need more than 3/4 states (no-suffix, (very)damaged, unusable).

So far a few thing bother me with the new system.
- Damaged items don't seem to stack
- Hard to tell a weapon efficiency from its damage over its quality (Is a 99% (poor) better than a 30%(normal ?))
- It is damn hard to keep anything in good shape (to store or sell)
- You hardly know how much anything degrade over time or if left outside
- It is distracting to worry about any single damaged item.
- You can't guess how long something will last.
- It is overwhelming to have health-bar on everything, plus a quality.
- MORE items shouldn't degrade at all, especially over the few years colony usually live/survive.
All Worsened in that you can't repair items.

So I wondered if there was a way to keep the best of the new and earlier version.
Something SIMPLE yet that can still break if used too long.

Could a modified rotting mechanic work ?
It seem to me that the rotting mechanic basically ensure already that food/dead never stay in the same state forever without forbidding to stack and allowing different rate of usury through time.
And even/especially for item that don't stack, I would myself appreciate a less gradual damaging process so I don't need to compare amongst dozen items.
Lastly I reiterate my wish for some kind of wardrobe & swap-macro to change more easily clothes and armor.

What do you think of the new feature ? What change would you like ?
Somewhere I seem to remember Tynan saying he wasn't entirely satisfied by the system (and also that colonist would ultimately pick up clothes themselves of something)
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Eleazar

Quote from: Kegereneku on February 24, 2015, 02:50:23 PM
- Hard to tell a weapon efficiency from its damage over its quality (Is a 99% (poor) better than a 30%(normal ?))

I wonder if there's any point in having those two stats for weapons and clothes.  Why not combine them?  So if you did a bad job crafting a sword it would start at 50% deterioration (or whatever), so there's just one metric that does everything.  I see little value game-mechanical value in distinguishing between a badly damaged but well made article, and undamaged but poorly made article that happens to have the same utility.

Quote from: Kegereneku on February 24, 2015, 02:50:23 PM
Somewhere I seem to remember Tynan saying he wasn't entirely satisfied by the system (and also that colonist would ultimately pick up clothes themselves of something)
He said he doesn't like the micromanagement  that now occurs changing the pawns clothes to keep them non-ragged.  He plans to let pawns dress themselves to some degree.