[mod request] Bone items

Started by jabbamonkey, February 25, 2015, 11:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jabbamonkey

I'd love to be able to craft items and weapons out of bone.  When animals die on the map, the decay and eventually leave behind a bone corpse. It would be good to make cool things from them...

1. Weapons
2. Furniture
3. Bone statues - that work similar to the Giblet Cage, that scares enemies and frightens prisoners.
4. Tools.

Or, if you want to get really crazy...
5. Golems - If you want to go the fantasy route.
6. Bone decorated robot fires - to strike fear in the enemy (maybe make them a little harder to hit?)

StorymasterQ

There was... an attempt. However, I don't think it got anywhere.

Anyone want to have another run with the idea?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Kaballah

I'll have a stab at it, but I can already see I'll never be interested in maintaining compatibility with everyone else's mods.  Maybe I can get a basic framework done for vanilla/core and pass it off to whoever else wants to use it.

Here's my basic design goals:

• Add Bone as a new material mostly comparable to Wood in properties, except not especially flammable
  • Add ways to harvest bone

• butchering corpses
    • butchering rotten corpses
    • butchering dessicated corpses
    • scavenging skeletons
  • Add replacement recipes for core game craftables/constructions that also accept Bone wherever Wood is already acceptable
  • Add a work table specifically for crafting bone into special bone items (low priority)

(for my first trick, I puzzle out how to nest BBcode lists! woo)

Kaballah

How is the output of vanilla butchery determined?  It looks to me like it's hard coded?  I am expecting to find a <butcherProducts> block for each of the various animals in ThingDefs\Races_Animals.xml but there isn't one (there is one for Races_Mechanoids.xml though).  Trolling for "butcher" in all the files in vanilla \Defs directory doesn't show anything promising either.  The "BONE MOD" guy's butchery replacement recipe is just hard-coded to drop X units of bone regardless of what is butchered.

apljee

Quote from: jabbamonkey on February 25, 2015, 11:03:39 PM
I'd love to be able to craft items and weapons out of bone.  When animals die on the map, the decay and eventually leave behind a bone corpse. It would be good to make cool things from them...

1. Weapons
2. Furniture
3. Bone statues - that work similar to the Giblet Cage, that scares enemies and frightens prisoners.
4. Tools.

Or, if you want to get really crazy...
5. Golems - If you want to go the fantasy route.
6. Bone decorated robot fires - to strike fear in the enemy (maybe make them a little harder to hit?)

This is 'kinda being added into Project EONS. In Project EONS, animals will give bones when slaughtered, and bones can be made into special bone weaponry, but I might be able to incorporate some of the ideas (not all) that you've provided. In a perfect world, bone walls would be added, too.

daft73

This is 'kinda being added into Project EONS. In Project EONS, animals will give bones when slaughtered, and bone can be made into special bone weaponry, but I might be able to incorporate some of the ideas (not all) that you've provided. In a perfect world, bone walls would be added, too.
The Wall of bone could instill fear possibly..especially if made from dead raiders.

Maybe I played to much AD&D ???

Kaballah

Still thinking about this, maybe I can reverse engineer the formula for meat/leather returned by butchering and then do something from there.

Kaballah

As far as I can tell, if I override butchery products with something that provides bone, then meat and leather can't be typed correctly, unless I create an alternate smelt just for bone which just doesn't try to produce meat/leather -- which is what Vilusia did in his mod.  I can see why he stopped working on it.  I'm completely uninterested in learning how to decompile the game and write new binaries for it just to do something that I'm fairly sure Tynan will be adding in a few patches anyway, so ... Sorry, I'm giving up on this :)