Fire extinguishers and sprinklers!

Started by Splinterbee, February 27, 2015, 04:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Splinterbee

I had an idea where you could build sprinklers with a bit of metel inside of buildings, if a fire is in the building that a sprinkler is built they will go off and begin to fight the fire.
My second idea was the ability to craft fire extinguishers that colonists could equip and fight fires from a range quickly and more affectivly.

Tell me what you think :D
Video games, are pretty good

skullywag

Ive done an extinguishet as a mod in my weapons thread. Auto extinguishing is also possibld but would remove the need for a whole job type..not the kind of thing thatd make it into the core game and thefore not something id personally mod.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

BetaSpectre

Things can light on fire from the inside out still no?
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

b0rsuk

Careful here - won't this idea increase micromanagement ? You can use materials which are less flammable, especially for bulkhead doors. You can put batteries indoors.

Mckee

Wiring loves to burst into flames and explode unexpectedly due to faults. Same with batteries. Inside your base, it can be utterly fatal since characters can't fight the fire fast enough, and the heat builds upwards of 400 degrees very quickly. I would love some kind of fire suppression system, ranging from hand held equstinguishers (that might have a charge, similar to shields currently) to sprinklers.

Splinterbee

Quote from: b0rsuk on February 28, 2015, 08:33:40 AM
Careful here - won't this idea increase micromanagement ? You can use materials which are less flammable, especially for bulkhead doors. You can put batteries indoors.
sprinklers will decrease micromanagement. Your colonists won't have to do it themselves
Video games, are pretty good

tommytom

For sprinklers, there would have to be a big negative. Like it damages/destroys electrical equipment and conduits. You may stop the fire, but you still have to repair the water-soaked/shorted electrical system.

Extinguishers are fine. Better than people stomping on them when they have such high tech stuff. Maybe make it take the weapon slot. Could be used later for stunning people for capture (non-lethal) or creating "smoke" cover.

Mckee

Water damage and a potential for misfiring (going off by accident) seem to suit something like a sprinkler system, in order to offer some downsides.