[MOD](Alpha 9) Fix Solar and Geothermal (1.4)

Started by XyleneGaming, March 04, 2015, 01:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XyleneGaming

A Fix For Geothermal and Solar Generators
Have you ever been in the game and suddenly your power generator catches fire for some random reason? Well this mod has you covered. It lets you put out fires on the inner sections of the Solar Generator and the Geothermal Generator. As a by product of this, you can stand on both objects and they're both lowered to waist cover, which may screw up someone's cover at some point, but that shouldn't be much of a problem as using a huge generator as cover is a fairly bad idea.

Compatabillity
Works with anything, really, except for something that modifies the way Geothermal or Solar generators work, but you could probably already figure that one out.

Changelist

1.0 - Release

1.1 - Removed useless XML file in mod folder (content from another mod for reference)
1.2 - Fixed pawn pathing to not go over the Generators most of the time.

1.3 - Fix for a huge problem by acook8103, where the generators couldn't be selected and could be placed inside each-other.

1.4 - Fix for a stupid problem where I changed all of the Name defs to ParentName defs, which wouldn't work. It needed a Name at the top for buildingDef otherwise it wouldn't have anything to reference.

Download
The download is down here. You might need to log in.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Humort

I speak Russian if you don't understand that I wrote, Google Translator is guilty of it

Vonholtz

nice way to fix the simple things. Great idea.

Boboid

Thank christ... Definitely be using this.

Does anyone know why geothermal generators spontaneously combust? It seems like there's no rhyme or reason to it.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

elStrages

Quote from: Boboid on March 05, 2015, 03:27:37 AM

Does anyone know why geothermal generators spontaneously combust? It seems like there's no rhyme or reason to it.

over heating, they need to well ventilated.

skullywag

I like this, but am I going nuts or did i not read in a change log somewhere this was being addressed?
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Vonholtz

One side note not good or bad. But your pawns will now walk right over the Geothermal and solar generators. Where before they would have to walk around them. But that is a fare trade for now then not being able to put out fires in the middle of ether of them. 8)

Boboid

Quote from: elStrages on March 05, 2015, 04:14:08 AM

It's not heat related, I've observed the temps of problem-generators and they always remain within normal ranges, well below the point of starting fires.

It *might* be space related but I swear I've had generators which had craploads of space around them light themselves anyway.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Siberianhamster

Quote from: Boboid on March 05, 2015, 06:06:07 AM
Quote from: elStrages on March 05, 2015, 04:14:08 AM

It's not heat related, I've observed the temps of problem-generators and they always remain within normal ranges, well below the point of starting fires.

It *might* be space related but I swear I've had generators which had craploads of space around them light themselves anyway.

The only times i had heat problems with geo generator is when they're walled in without a vent to open space. I always surround mine with conduit walls, leaving 0 spaces, and there's never a heat problem. 1 open space though, and the temp will quickly combust the generator.

XyleneGaming

Quote from: skullywag on March 05, 2015, 04:17:33 AM
I like this, but am I going nuts or did i not read in a change log somewhere this was being addressed?

It may well have been, but I can't find that in the main changelog, and it definitely isn't fixed at the current release build.

XyleneGaming

Quote from: Vonholtz on March 05, 2015, 05:50:32 AM
One side note not good or bad. But your pawns will now walk right over the Geothermal and solar generators. Where before they would have to walk around them. But that is a fare trade for now then not being able to put out fires in the middle of ether of them. 8)

That's a byproduct of the method I used, as I just made the objects Standable instead of Impassable. I don't think there are any types that allow you to stand on it and put out fires, and even if there was then you wouldn't be able to put out fires further than 2 cells in. In short, yeah, that happens, it shouldn't be a problem. Just imagine that the generators are all embedded in the floor.

Hayhorse

XyleneGaming

Quote from: Hayhorse on March 10, 2015, 07:30:47 AM
Three Words, Rain

That's one word, but also three, gah. Aside from that, rain isn't always there, and this just makes it so that people can stop fires whenever there is one. It also lets you put fires out if something is under a roof or underground.

jabbamonkey

Small bug...

I noticed a bug ... so, now the characters can walk all over the device, which isn't a big deal for me. However, the device can't be selected anymore. When I click my mouse onto the geothermal generator ... nothing gets selected. I can select the steam vent (which is hidden underneath the geothermal graphic), but not the actual generator. What if I want to delete it? What if I want to see how much damage it has? Or how much power it produces?

UMK

Quote from: jabbamonkey on March 11, 2015, 01:18:58 AM
Small bug...

I noticed a bug ... so, now the characters can walk all over the device, which isn't a big deal for me. However, the device can't be selected anymore. When I click my mouse onto the geothermal generator ... nothing gets selected. I can select the steam vent (which is hidden underneath the geothermal graphic), but not the actual generator. What if I want to delete it? What if I want to see how much damage it has? Or how much power it produces?
It's possibly because he changed passability to Passable, not to PassThroughOnly. Also he forgot to set pathing cost.
Also, search for fire extinguisher on mod forum. It exists and works very fine and furthermore it is OP close-quarters SMG.