This is why wood is not the best material for buildings

Started by Regret, March 09, 2015, 12:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Regret

I had built all my rooms inside one double wall to save on heating costs and travel time.
An electrical short managed to set fire to my researcher's bedroom, the tailor's bedroom, the clothing closet and the connecting hallway.
My brave people tried to put out the fire from the middle outward so they quickly turned into walking fires.
a few minutes later my colonists start falling down the moment they enter the rooms that are on fire.
I soon figured out why: The temperature inside was over 600 degrees.
Soon every single person was being boiled in their own skin in a tiny hallway while the fire kept getting closer.

Bob_Namg

I try my damndest to make my buildings/walls out of stone, but even then it doesn't stop the occasional internal fire.
The way I've found to combat 600 degree rooms is to tear down at least one wall and let that shit air out.
Not 100% effective, but it might make it possible to put out the fire, if you're not just making sure it doesn't spread to outside the building.
"Hon hon hon"
-Anonymous, France

Covered in Weasels

BetaSpectre

This is my preferred method of execution.
Open door.
Toss molotov at prisoner.
Close door.
Lock Door.
Ignore fire.
Watch as person dies from heatstroke and not being lit alive.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Apophis

Just create a no roof region and everything will be okay :)

Bongfu

This is why we should have the ability to manually open autodoors. It could be used to flood an area with outside air, create traps, and unique temperature management options.

Regret

Quote from: Bob_Namg on March 09, 2015, 04:15:35 PM
I try my damndest to make my buildings/walls out of stone, but even then it doesn't stop the occasional internal fire.
The way I've found to combat 600 degree rooms is to tear down at least one wall and let that shit air out.
Not 100% effective, but it might make it possible to put out the fire, if you're not just making sure it doesn't spread to outside the building.
Heh, yeah i figured that one out when I loaded my autosave.

KoalaB

Quote from: Bongfu on March 10, 2015, 03:40:06 PM
This is why we should have the ability to manually open autodoors. It could be used to flood an area with outside air, create traps, and unique temperature management options.

I would love it work exactly the other way round. Fire should extinguish itself when there's no more oxygen (i.e. doors closed). Just like it works in FTL. Of course that wouldn't be very effective with wooden walls.

Then again adding oxygen doesn't seem like the best idea. Maybe just codding the fire to extinguish faster in closed-small rooms would be possible at some point.

Regret

Quote from: KoalaB on March 14, 2015, 01:34:45 PM
Quote from: Bongfu on March 10, 2015, 03:40:06 PM

I would love it work exactly the other way round. Fire should extinguish itself when there's no more oxygen (i.e. doors closed). Just like it works in FTL. Of course that wouldn't be very effective with wooden walls.

Then again adding oxygen doesn't seem like the best idea. Maybe just codding the fire to extinguish faster in closed-small rooms would be possible at some point.
Fires that explode when the door opens can give some cool stories. It also gives us the possibility of flamethrower rooms.

NeverEvil