It makes sense for Cryosleep Casket to be an early tech.

Started by b0rsuk, March 24, 2015, 07:36:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

So they're something like mortars ? Let me guess - Tynan implemented sieges with mortars, and someone went "Can we have mortar research option ? PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS!"

If that's the case, you could disable the research option until player finds either mortar or an ancient cryosleep casket. Once found, you could study (research) them.

Boboid

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 24, 2015, 02:18:42 PM
So they're something like mortars ? Let me guess - Tynan implemented sieges with mortars, and someone went "Can we have mortar research option ? PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS!"
Couldn't say to be honest - Don't see how that's relevant in any case.
If that's the case, you could disable the research option until player finds either mortar or an ancient cryosleep casket. Once found, you could study (research) them.

Or you know.. that could not be the case -  I mean there's no precedent for that style of research and gameplay wise it doesn't significantly change anything other than lowering the value of two already somewhat mediocre objects somewhat.

I don't see what you're getting at :/
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

RemingtonRyder

I have to admit that cryptosleep caskets are something which I research when  it's late in the game and I would like to have a contingency in place in case of brain damage. But lately I just never get around to building them, never mind filling them up with promising young candidates.

But there is a fairly decent advantage in there - colonists in cryptosleep don't need to be fed, don't have negative thoughts, and aren't wandering around carefree on the map begging to be savaged by a pack of psychotic zombie squirrels.

;)

Also, I'm not sure but I think that their gear, whatever they have on them, will be preserved in its current condition too. Not that it's difficult to come across gear, but it's nice that they don't emerge wearing tattered rags and wielding a completely rusted steel sword.

Pretty sure that mortars were made available at the same time that sieges became a thing, by the way.

geredis

I hate to say it, but I don't use cryo caskets at all...  I dismantle those that exist on the map already for free uranium or steel. I also have never put anyone into them, ever, so forgive me if a lot of this that follows is already covered:

That said, I do agree that normal cryocaskets are a little too niche at the moment and I'd love if they were given a greater purpose, though I'm not sure what that'd be yet.  That said I also believe that with new mechanics they need to do more than simply sit there as a perpetual freezer.  Perhaps if they had a massive electrical drain and weren't self-contained freezing units it'd be great.  Or maybe letting you put things other than people into them, thus letting you turn them into mini-coolers for when you can't/won't be able to create a proper freezer (say for a stack of food in a medical wing to feed the patients)

Mathenaut

The only practical purpose cryopods would serve is late-game medicine.

BetaSpectre

Cryo really isn't that life saving due to getting it after you usually have the ability to save all your colonists.

Its a nice back up. But. You have to earn it so to speak.

Though if you have it early it might make the early game a tad easy since you'll pretty much not lose people during the hardest part of the game.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

geredis

Quote from: BetaSpectre on March 24, 2015, 04:50:13 PM
Cryo really isn't that life saving due to getting it after you usually have the ability to save all your colonists.

Though if you have it early it might make the early game a tad easy since you'll pretty much not lose people during the hardest part of the game.

Except that there's a hefty cost, because when you only have 3-4 people...you're cutting into your workforce by a third or a quarter, which depending on who it is that you need to save, and the traits of your other colonists could mean you lose the only person capable of doing certain jobs.

riversmoke

Quote from: Boboid on March 24, 2015, 11:06:19 AM
Mostly because you're ignoring relative complexity.
Not to mention that the availability of the knowledge doesn't actually imply the capacity to create - There is undoubtedly the information required online right now that would allow me to create a nuclear power plant, my capacity to do so is pretty questionable!

:o Uh, so yeah, I just think they should be easier to research.

I do think the process of building them should be harder and more specialized than say, building a wall... I liked the idea of savaging for 'microchips' as a method of making it harder. Same goes for turbines, solar panels, and all the rest of the electronics, but hey, it's just a game and we don't want a full-on life simulation here.

As for being insane... well I'm at least warm now. ;) It was a bad example but I think you got the point. For a highly advanced civilization, walls would be more prefab'ed than my Ikea desk. The concept of building *anything* from scratch materials would be somewhat magical to most highly advanced (and highly specialized) individuals. I was trying to say they would be more *familiar* with cryocaskets than wooden walls. They should definitely be harder to build than a wooden wall. And I'm not trying to imply they should have to research wooden walls either...

Oh and I don't think any other new mechanics need to be added, they are already there as a part of the game. Other things could be added to increase the need of using cryocaskets but, I don't think it's all that necessary.

Cazakatari

Sorry for my rude comments, looking back I'm not even sure why I got set off.  I'm strong with the derp side of the force :p

Quote from: BetaSpectre on March 24, 2015, 04:50:13 PM

Thinking about my past games I can't come up with a situation where they would have been useful even if I'd had them early.  The only thing that's dangerous but doesn't kill before you can put someone inside a casket are diseases/infections, and even with only herbal medicine I never came close to losing anyone (by making sure they got their treatments)

Unless someone can "survive" without a vital organ long enough to get put into cryptosleep, caskets wouldn't do much unless your entire colony has terrible doctoring skills.  If ''death'' didn't occur until someone bled out (regardless of whether they have no liver etc), that would give you a reason to cryo someone, then pop them out once you have the organ they need

nottma

I only see cryo as an option if you have weather extremely harsh environmental events. 

Kegereneku

Me I like the Cryptosleep casket as they are : a very advanced tech. You only need to make some late game event where they are useful. (like a psychic event too dangerous for some to stay awake)

Also I see them as a potential "END GAME" equivalent to the Starship one.
You'd build them for the purpose of waiting for rescue.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Mathenaut

Quote from: riversmoke on March 24, 2015, 06:42:45 PMI was trying to say they would be more *familiar* with cryocaskets than wooden walls. They should definitely be harder to build than a wooden wall. And I'm not trying to imply they should have to research wooden walls either...

I get what this guy is saying, and yes, there is some sense to it. These are horrible, horrible examples, but the concept he is trying to express is valid.

Consider things presently. We have the past two generations of people growing with the use of technology that they are intimately familiar with the use and function of. However, precious few of these smartphone/internet/technology savvy people would know what goes into printing a circuit board, for instance.

In other words, very few people are engineers.

AllenWL

True, I use lots of electric gadgets, but never ever built walls. But I know more about making walls than smartphones.

Anyways,
I would totally use cryptosleep caskets if I had the uranium for them. Mainly because every winter, my colony staves. But that's because I have a mod that makes you need to buy seeds to farm.

Regret

Quote from: MarvinKosh on March 24, 2015, 02:31:42 PM
But there is a fairly decent advantage in there - colonists in cryptosleep don't need to be fed, don't have negative thoughts, and aren't wandering around carefree on the map begging to be savaged by a pack of psychotic zombie squirrels.
Good point.
Cryptosleep caskets would be more useful if the psychic events were worse, just put all affected pawns to sleep until the event is over. Extreme temperatures can be handled the same and hunger can be fought this way.

I never thought of that before, now the casks have a use for me.