[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)

Started by Kegereneku, March 07, 2015, 05:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kegereneku

As we know Rimworld have for now only two sort of ending :
- The spaceship escape
- Death (in numerous variation)

So this topic would be to suggest and discuss different ending or lack thereof.

/!\ NOTE /!\
"Requirement :" is to avoid confusion with any similar ending and describe the hook for any game/story.
"Triggered by :" is to make sure the game know when you want it triggered.

If your suggestion rely on not(yet?)existing feature, I suggest [descriptive name], different poster using the same item/feature increase the chance of us getting them.

Some ideas :

Epilogue End

• Ending : Diplomatic End
    As you've always believed the key to embark on true civilization wasn't in outgrowing other faction or act as if they didn't exist. The key was to convince them all march together toward a greater world.
    No faction is a world unto itself. You've shown through diplomacy, arts, trading and hospitality that violence and isolation solved nothing.

Triggered by : Making a wonderful radio-call for global unification.
    Requirement : All other faction not only support you but not being hostile with each other.

• Ending : Cybernetic Transcendence
    After years of research in a particular branch of the tech-tree you and your fellow friend have finally managed to make it : a brain-implant that will increase significantly your intellect, merging with an AI-Core.
    Once you manage to painstakingly craft/buy and install those implants you are persuaded you will enter the next stage in human's evolution !

Triggered by : Merging with an AI-core
    Requirement : All colonist having some [special implants]

• Ending : Psychic Exaltation
    Fools they were ! Fools they were to believe that psychic sensitivity was a burden to mankind.
    After year of research in that particular branch you've finally come to develop a formidable machine that will upon activation slowly bring human's mind to their full potential.
    No matter if it take day at full power for each gender, you will all transcend !

Triggered by : Using [Psychic Probe] one last time to give all colonist the "mind-reader" trait
    Requirement : Building a [Psychic Probe] + No psychically dull colonist

• Ending : Psychic deafening
    Through perseverance you have freed yourself from this burden of mankind. You are no longer affected by the psychic wave terrorizing the weak willed.
    You only see one other thing left to be done : free the rest of the world or let the weak willed perish.

Triggered by : Letting a [built Psychic Probe] or a ancient ship part reach maximum intensity and survive until all colonist have the Psychically-deaf trait
    Requirement : Ancient ship or [Psychic Probe] on map

• Ending : Religious
    Even you didn't understood at first, but it called for you. You and your fellow acolyte didn't carved its <insert metal> sculpture accidentally. He had always been there calling for you.
    But now you know. Your group is still young but soon, soon they will all know.
    ALL GLORY TO PASTA ! All glory to the Giant Flying Spaghetti god !

Triggered by : Having declared yourself as a temple on Comm console.
    Requirement : Large sculpture in its own room, toggled into "idol"

• Ending : Artistic Transcendence
    Mere word cannot describe the work you have done here. You've created the most legendary work of art that will ever be known.
    Triggered by : (?) making it known by Comms console.
    Requirement : A beauty score of more than X over some zone, more than Y over the map.

• Ending : Attractive colony (couldn't think of better)
    The best way of founding a colony you ask ? Well, making other come to you of course. Your colony is just so much better than any others.
    Triggered by : Activating the Comms Console as a beacon
    Requirement : Wealth above X + Joy above X + Minimal Beauty

• Ending : Cannibalism
    This is not that the time were hard, you've simply overcome an old dogma and stopped wasting food. Plus, with synthetic-meat grown by hydroponic it's not like you have to hunt people out of necessity.
    Still got to keep the prisoner well fed though, they do have a plus-value now.

Triggered by : (???) Serving human meat to [guest]/prisoner.
    Requirement : all colonists having/[gaining the cannibal trait]

• Ending : Clone Factory
    Child ? What for ? As if we had the time to raise one of those pest for years. No, no, I create perfect colonist you see, our equation say "vat-grow backstory" are best childhood, so be it.
    Triggered by : Cloning your second colonist.
    Requirement : researched and built [special casket]+ special research

• Ending : Near-Immortality
    You are surprised by how little time it took you to obtain a way to live forever, but you did it and its all you expect to remember in a thousand year.
    Oh indeed it still have some little problems, for starter you cannot move the machine, then there's how it literally reconstruct you cells by cells, including your brain and your very memory.
    You just have to remember to fix that next cycle.

Triggered by : Using [special casket] with all colonist.
    Requirement : researched and built [special casket] + special research

• Ending : New Cryptosleep casket
    "meh... we might as well wait for a rescue team or some civilization to develop here, how long could it take ?"
    Triggered by : All colonist getting into cryptosleep casket
    Requirement : Using New cryptosleep casket

• Ending : One with Nature
    Thinking back about it technology never really improved your lives, it kept on making it more complex than it needed to be. If someone ask, this is why you've never researched electricity.
    Not because all of you happened to be incapable of science, no no...

Triggered by : Not using electricity for a year.
    Requirement : Only a solar panel/air turbine, battery and a Comm console allowed

• Ending : What is bioethics ?
    At least ! No stupid rules to keep you from improving on the human design !
    Triggered by : All colonists have a Bionic or a particular change to their body.
    Requirement : [special casket] + All colonist 'modified'

• Ending : Trader route
    Becoming a trader is where wealth and comfort reallyis . Every faction on this planet are just desperate to get the right equipment at the right moment, so you've just built a mean to carry a lot of cargo all over the planet and to scavenge droppod on the way.
    <Choose a company name>

Triggered by : Telling every faction by Radio-comms that you are starting business.
    Requirement : [Pod Launcher/vehicle]

• Ending : Pharaoh
    You have reflected long enough over the question and came to the conclusion that some men are just more equal than other.
    Triggered by : Declaring yourself [Technopriests] by Comms Console
    Requirement : More than X Slave, they are 2 time more numerous than colonist.

• Ending : Caver / Isolation
    It was not safe outside, all those unknow organic, and that bright thingy moving in the sky emitting radiation and all...
    Triggered by : Spending around ~1 years without any colonist getting "outside" for more than a day.
    Requirement : Switching off Comms console

• Ending : Paranoia
    They were all there to get me ! And I know you are here in the sky trying to control me !
    Know what ? I won't let you !

Triggered by : The last colonist rebel against YOU.
    Requirement : Anybody who have joined the colony arrested + only one colonist left.

• Ending : No weakness here
    We are not elitist, your standard are just lower than dirt.
    Triggered by : ??(Console Comms badass boast?)
    Requirement : All colonists have a certain amount of level.

Climatic Event end
Note : Appear after a 'player-triggered event'.
"Last action :" <player-triggered event leading to the ending>

• Ending : Pirate group
    You've all finally realized that in this world the strong reigned over the weak. To survive asked more than will and courage, more than pity, it asked for guile and violence to make your what isn't.
    You have just crossed that one last line there is no return possible, no remorse to be had.

Triggered by : Declaring yourself pirate on Comms console.
    (W.I.P) "Last action :" Using [Diplomacy] and betraying the last faction
    Requirement : [Pod launcher] + hostile relation with every faction

• Ending : The only way to be sure
    It had to be done, it was the only way to be sure...
    Triggered by : No other faction is left
    (W.I.P) "Last action :" Fighting retaliation raid wave from everybody.
    Requirement : [Pod Launcher] + [Nuke]

• Ending : Apocalypse Canceled (with guess-words like that I fear I cover everything)
    "That's it, after what we've done I don't think anybody will remember anything else of us. We might as well leave, die and pass into posterity"
    Triggered by : [having solved some out-colony event]
    (W.I.P) "Last action :" [solving some out-colony event]
    Requirement : [Starting some out-colony event]

Death End

• Ending : Mechanoid End
    "How dared you rebel against your master !"
    Triggered by : activate armed Mechanoid and get killed by them
    Requirement : AI-Core + [mechanoid stuff]

• Ending : Spaceship Failed launch
    The starship was ready to go, all colonist were onboard, the AI said all-green, engines nearly finished their pre-cooling... it was so close ! WHY !?
    Triggered by : Spaceship becoming un-spaceworthy
    Requirement : Starting spaceship [launching sequence]

• Ending : Force of nature
    "Help !! <animal> is eating maaarrrrggghh!"
    Triggered by : The last colonist is killed by an animal.

• Ending : Please kill me before I finish reading this.
    There is no words for the cruelty you've committed, I, the narrator just shudder uncontrollably at the though of describing it. The developers, Tynan, is calling his lawyer to never be associated in anyway with what you've done, regretting to have ever coded this specific ending.
    How could you...

Triggered by : Other faction launching into space out of pure fear.
    Requirement : No hope for redemption.

• Ending : Ancient Cryptosleep casket
    You used ancient cryptosleep casket more than 100 years old, of course you died !
    Triggered by : All colonist getting into ancients cryptosleep casket
    Requirement : none

[new]

• Ending : Void god worship
    All glory to the Void god !
    Triggered by : Psychic Wave at maximum intensity, Crashed ship in its own room, toggled as 'idol'.
    Requirement : Crashed ship on map

ENDLESS GAME
I don't know for you, but I think "Endless play" could be suited simply by another Storyteller.
Storyteller like Cassandra Classic are made to increase pressure progressively and the research tree can eventually be maxed out. Yet many of us like this balance and wouldn't appreciate being forced to play 20hours or more to achieve a meaningful game.

But another storytellers could be balanced independently to match play of indefinite length. Such game would have access to any other ending, if you don't want your game to end simply click keep playing if you reach an ending or another, or change storyteller mid-game.

Note:
Events suggestion here
Storyteller suggestion here
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Visitor000

I am a creator of Worlds. I give birth to children of varying backgrounds. I manipulate and torture at a will, causing pain and suffering to all those around me. But am also merciful in some cases, bringing joy and prosperity when I see fit.

I am an Author.

Keychan

Well obviously some of there endings are a lot more easier to come by than others.  Most of seem like they could be more like achievements than endings.  Everyone eating a human lavish meal?  I do like the idea of multiple endings, but usually an ending is means to an end, but you could easily have multiple of these 'endings' if you continue.  The ship leaving ending is everyone leaving the colony, ending it.

Here could be some potential terminal endings
> Homeland Protection
- Every colonist is killed or kidnapped by a raiding Tribe.

> Natural Selection
- Your colony fails to survive the worlds climate. (Colony death by temperature, firestorms, Razor-hail, etc.)

Kegereneku

That's a good point.
I took that we would always have a "Keep playing option", so maybe nothing to keep someone from 'achieving' Cybernetic transcendence, Psychic Hivemind, Cannibalism then leaving the planet, but nothing forbid making those ending much more "final" using scripted sequence or incompatibility. (ex : cybernetic brain making you psychically dull)

Ending have two major point over simple achievement, the satisfaction from ending and they save your colonist to appear in another game. For added Challenge the player could be imposed to do it only once at the ending he want. (the idea being that to save a Psychic Cybernetic Ninja you would need added work)

Aside... if there's ever a trait-injection mechanic you could have to MAKE your colonist become cannibal before triggering the ending.
-------
Write an Event

StorymasterQ

So this is like some sort of Civ's victory conditions? I'll add:

Ending: Technologically Superior
- All research completed, including the final "Future Tech" (note: find a better name) costing something like 10,000 RP
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

BetaSpectre

You Have achieved the impossible!
You have gained so much knowledge that you have transcended this plane of mortal existance.
Achieving and maintaining Global Master MLG 360 no scope levels of achievement.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Demoulius

Adamiks

SteelHeart

Orbital Civilization: You Have decided that life on any world is just too dangerous to deal with. You have built an archeology that will require no external support and will be able to support your people, outside of cryosleep, across the vast void of stars. Never again shall endless waves of tribals and pirates bother you.

Triggered by: building any of the arcology ship modules.
Requirements: having all of the needed modules and loading colonist onboard.

basically, this is a glorified versions of the "launch a space ship" ending. the only difference is that it is way more expensive and probably makes you feel better inside for knowing the colonist will live a good life in space... and that you pulled off something that cost like 5 times the effort to build.

Kegereneku

Creative idea,
Just a thing : the "requirement" (as I just rewrote them recently) would (now) be to make sure the game now when you want to trigger the ending and can't misinterpret it. Like for example, confuse it with the spaceship escape.
suggestion :
Triggered by: Launching a huge arcology starship.
Requirements: Having built a ship that include hydroponic + [special or not parts]

I can add any of your idea to the list (with credit) if you want to.

...hang on... new idea coming... must... write...
-------
Write an Event

Play2Jens

As for me, only your suggested diplomatic ending makes sense. The others are funny and quiet interesting, but don't seem too realistic.

Here is my suggestion: Dominance ending
All hostile factions send their remaining troops towards you. Prepare for an epic boss fight. Mortars, tanks, huge mechanoids and raiders will all try to put an end to your reign. If you are able to defeat them, you will have successfully eliminated all evil factions from this world. From that moment, you and your allies can finally make a better place out of this inhospitable world.
Triggered by : You will get an incoming message at your comms console asking you to pay a huge amount of tribute or leave. If you pay tribute, you'll lose half of your wealth but the event is canceled. If you chose for option b, you get some time to prepare yourself for the final boss battle or actually leave. If that moment arrives, you'll get the message above.
Requirement : At least three "evil" factions have positive relationships towards each other, very bad relationship with you and you have a high colony wealth and beaten a lot of raids.

Kegereneku

They are as realistic as what can be expected from Sci-Fi, or your suggestion.
Still, I'm thinking most of them have to be rewrote as to End the game by a specific action rather than be trigger for more events.

The idea would be to have it be a voluntary result from players actions, maybe follow the SpaceshipEnd model of showing the missing requirement.
-------
Write an Event

Play2Jens

Quote from: Kegereneku on June 02, 2015, 06:23:02 AM
They are as realistic as what can be expected from Sci-Fi, or your suggestion.
Still, I'm thinking most of them have to be rewrote as to End the game by a specific action rather than be trigger for more events.

The idea would be to have it be a voluntary result from players actions, maybe follow the SpaceshipEnd model of showing the missing requirement.

Okay, in that case I'll rewrite my trigger as: Player sends a messages from the comms console saying "You puny factions cannot even touch one of my walls! Bring it on, cockroaches!"

And if you beat that final, insanely hard fight, you'll get your ending.

I have to say Kegereneku, I love the endings you've wrote. But they need to be build up a bit more. I can imagine that players are a bit disappointed after they merely have to state something over the comm console and then get an ending screen. They need a final challenge to beat to make the ending feel like a satisfaction.

Just an example: the Attractive colony ending.
from the moment you activate it at your comm console, a timer pops up. You need to keep the general Wealth / Joy / Beauty score up for example a Rimworld week. During this week the game will try to disrupt this with certain events. If the player still manages to keep the Wealth / Joy / Beauty score up, and the timer runs out, he wins the game and gets his ending.

Once again, I love all endings you have written. If it was up to me, they all get implemented into the game somehow. But they have to be hard to get imo.

Kegereneku

I do not share that philosophy.

(My) objective isn't for the player to prove itself one last time to deserve an endingachievement or to one-up the challenge as if it were a not-Rimworld linear game.

Players will naturally be gearing toward a self-made goal. Be it surviving, the spaceship-escape, building the most comfy colony ever, or doing so despite everybody eating human flesh.
The objective is to give them a way to immortalize what they did and End the game the way they were playing it.
At which point the requirements exist only to make sure they cannot be confused.

That's why ultimately I'll rewrite ideas which were made before I cleared that out.

Edit : done.
-------
Write an Event

Play2Jens

This is why it will be indeed more like an achievement, which is pretty cool. Still I think the game will end way to sudden. There is no climax, which in my opinion is needed. Just imagine, a player achieves the ending requirements, going to the comms console and broadcasting it. He will expect something epic, not an "the end"-screen with the credits rolling.   

I don't know why I have this vision. It's probably because I grew up with games which are build up to a climatic ending. You know, boss fights and stuff. Some games, like Sim City and The Sims, don't need an ending. Then there are games like Civilization, MMORPGs and Rimworld, which are somewhere in between. They aren't focused on having an ending, but more on continuing the experience. They do have an ending, which is mostly an event which is slightly different and harder from the rest of the game experience. If the player would just be able to end the game by achieving one of the many things that is possible and not getting something in return, it might feel a bit cheap and like a let down.

Then again, maybe I'm focusing to much on the technical aspect of implementing an endgame into the game. This tread is more about finding different creative endings, so I hope different people might post a cool idea as well.