Raids ? Caravans ?! Expeditions ?!?!

Started by Cryorus, April 05, 2015, 12:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cryorus

END OF DISCUSSION SEE HERE:
Frequent Suggestions Topic!

I really love this game, but one acpect which bugs me is the ineraction with other factions/colonies.

YOU can get raided.YOU can have visitors.YOU can have travelers visit YOU. How about YOU be THAT raider,be THAT traveler ?

Simply put: Make an option to declare some out of camera/colony  tasks.

Have a caravan travel to a friendly/neutral faction base or colony and have them trade with your friends.
After selecting the caravan trade option an interface would pop up and you could start assigning people to go with the caravan and load stuff from your stockpiles.After a few days the caravan would arrive and a normal trade window would appear and you can trade the stuff you send off with your people. But no vehicle moves wihtout an operator , right ?  You also need to assign people to go, colonists with good shooting/melee skills will increase the chance of travelling unharmed (fend of pirates/tribes/wild animals).People with medic skills will heal people on their trips etc. etc. . Of course you would need to supply enough food for your people, they wont magicaly stop hungering when they leave the colony ;).

Same rules apply for Raids. (Optional for Raids: You activly control the raid/siege and colony goes out of camera)

Expiditions would have a random chance to find resources or even technology (granted a researcher is on board).

Let me know your thoughts ;)

EDIT:
After giving it a few more thoughts some additions :
- At least 1 colonist needs to stay Home
- Adding non researchable tech which can only be found through expiditions. (Glitterworld tech(upgrdaded meds , battery etc.) or something like  that ,very low chance since it gives mayor boosts
   to your colony)

Fuhman

It's much more manageable than the other suggestions made by most people on here that's usually along the lines of turning this game into SimCity or the like. It would add an element to desperate situations as well: if you're starving or lacking in valuable resources, you could risk your colonists lives to return with small quantities of items - therefore, the larger the group sent, the more likely the success rate and the larger quantity of items returned. You do, however, leave your colony undermanned and vulnerable.

Cryorus

Exactly my thoughts ^^ It adds a new of survival. In one colony i started in a desert with almost no steel and casandra decided : "hey wanna know whats funny ? NO TRADERS XD ROFL XD". Shortly after a few raids i hit 0 population.
If i had the option to send people on expidition i would have done so.

GamerGuy

So say I want to siege a fraction after  3 or more days they turn back up and say they were successful what happens? Do they destroy the fraction? Do you delay them? You capture some of them? Get loot?

Because some of them sound cool!

Cryorus

My thought on sieges and raids:

Since the spots on the world map mark faction BASES, it would imply they have smaller towns/colonies on this planet right?
(Come ON no one builds just 1 town)
When you decide to raid somebody, you can choose: attack a small outpost/colony or the base.
Small outpost are easier and just reduce your rep with the faction. This could happen off screen.
Attacking a faction base can be done 2 ways :
1. : Have it done via AI. Choosing this way the chance for success is much much smaller and depends strongly on the forces and supplies.
  ( Possible feature for colony: send reinforcements and check raid/siege status)

2. Manual Attack. Choosing this way your colony would go off screen(leaving it in the fate of your lefties and mercy of the story teller) and you control the raid/siege.

At any point (not influenced by type of attack) you can choose the following : Flee , Take Hostages.

After successfully attacking a base the following could happen : Either the enemy faction will not attack you you for a long time ( less people = less raids) , factions fears you ( no raids but still they exists and attack others) , whole faction eliminated or they gather emidiatly for an all out last strike against you.

Kegereneku

Lazy self-quote
Quote from: Kegereneku on April 03, 2015, 08:48:56 AM
The idea come regularly. (search 'vehicle' for example)

Myself I see the idea as a way to get plot/ending-related resources (like AI-core) without needing to put them on every map or relying on events that drop item.
A possibility to run 'both' side could be to... play the Exploration team first, then the home-colony for as long as the Team was away (rarely more than a day).

I have no doubt the concept is technically perfectly workable to play "explorer team", "scavenger" or trader.
The REAL problem with this concept, is that beyond "Can Tynan program it ?" you will have people asking for the ability to constantly expand over the whole planet, have trading between colony and so on...

That said, having a global-map wasn't part of a big plan for Tynan.
On one side it mean it won't happen in a long time, on the other side it mean it still could happen.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Cryorus

Quote from: Kegereneku on April 05, 2015, 06:42:00 PM
Lazy self-quote
Quote from: Kegereneku on April 03, 2015, 08:48:56 AM
The idea come regularly. (search 'vehicle' for example)

Myself I see the idea as a way to get plot/ending-related resources (like AI-core) without needing to put them on every map or relying on events that drop item.
A possibility to run 'both' side could be to... play the Exploration team first, then the home-colony for as long as the Team was away (rarely more than a day).

I have no doubt the concept is technically perfectly workable to play "explorer team", "scavenger" or trader.
The REAL problem with this concept, is that beyond "Can Tynan program it ?" you will have people asking for the ability to constantly expand over the whole planet, have trading between colony and so on...

That said, having a global-map wasn't part of a big plan for Tynan.
On one side it mean it won't happen in a long time, on the other side it mean it still could happen.

That's the part where we can begin tweaking ideas. My thought simply was that the amount of outside interaction is very very low. Just traders passing by every few days doesnt cut it. My idea was to sent people off and after few days/weeks return.

Plot/ending- related resources:
I think as it is for now we are at the mercy of our storyteller. Imagine the following :
Raid. You're out of steel. Comms gone. You live in a desert with no more steel to harvest. what now ? Wait half a year for drop pods to drop enough slag/steel to build a new console ? Wait for a mech raid in order to survive it half dead and deconstruct the bots?
Thats why i suggested going for expeditions or trading with frindly factions (player colonies not included).
Balancing is done via duration of your travel.
And for balancing items: Maybe remove AI cores or add a damaged core which has to be repaired using knowledge found from other expiditionslow chance). This would add another ending.

The results of an expidition should also be tied to your your storyteller. (Randy being random as he is, Phoebe having less negative results and cansandra giving standard result )

Time: An Exploration/trade should be have minimum day duration based on how far your target is away ( 1 day per map square ? )
And Expiditions should have a time you designate them to look for stuff there (min 1 day , max 1 month ?).

I think it is not just the fact off some people wanting to turn this into a "cultivate your own planet game" that makes this kind of suggestions look undoable or bad, its just with every idea there are bound to be people who want to go in a direction which isnt in the style the game wants to be (example: expiditon/ faction trading = some want to colonize a whole planet)

bartekkru100

I've got an idea for a system for raids and visits.
There would be some "travel to" button and when you click it you select what colonists you want to send somewhere and when selected pawns cross the map border it would load a new map with your colonists already there. When you want to go back you would click "go home" button or something like that and then your view would switch to your colony from the moment when your travellers departed, and you'd play as usual, just without few people you sent. after some time the message saying "Your colonists returned from journey" would pop out, but before they arrive you have time to prepare beds for injured or some room for goods, that you found/stolen.

ZioN

Stop posting these useless threads, there is dozens of people asking the same thing, and I doubt that anything like this is going to be added to the game. Here is the thread that shows all the topics that new threads should not be posted about.  -> https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=12024.0
"My colonists are always edgy.
Don't ever run a colony like me, I tend to play recklessly."
- CodyRex123

---

"I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context."
- StorymasterQ

Kegereneku

Calm down muffin (or I eat you), the Frequent Suggestion Thread was actually creater AFTER this one. It's very very recent.

Also, since the idea can be addressed in multiple way there will always be a need to discuss it.
Some for example want to "play" in the new map whereas other just want a "chance to bring something"...etc
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

ZioN

Luckily I am a poison muffin! You can't eat what you can't catch... Usain Muffin!
"My colonists are always edgy.
Don't ever run a colony like me, I tend to play recklessly."
- CodyRex123

---

"I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context."
- StorymasterQ

Cryorus

Quote from: Cryorus on April 05, 2015, 12:44:02 PM
END OF DISCUSSION SEE HERE:
Frequent Suggestions Topic!

Links want attention too Muffin. I edited the link in soon after I saw the post.