Research buff/debuff

Started by KillTyrant, April 07, 2015, 12:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KillTyrant

I looked through the first 2 pages of search option and didn't see a post similar. As it stands. After you finish the tech tree, a researcher is completely useless (putting aside other traits they may have) My idea would somewhat keep research somewhat viable even after you are finished with the tech tree at its current state or even after it's possibly expanded. It would be in the form of mood buffs. Following the motto "KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid) Either based on the colonist level of research or potentially his/her character traits. You can have a positive or negative thought. Colony and/or to the individual. To give some examples, The researcher can become annoyed with how little progress they are making towards a "new idea" which would put a debuff on that colonist. Another example would be, a "break through" in plotting a faster way home through space which gives a positive buff colony wide. Something that may include the researchers traits would be if a psychopath makes a "immoral" break though. Which will place a negative debuff on colonist that arent keen on that "immoral" idea.

I just thought it this idea practically on the spot so please forgive the possible impracticality. Just figured i'd share.

Kegereneku

Your idea is very fragmented, and doesn't look predictable, making it not that "KISS".

In my mind the tech-tree would be long and vast enough that you are frequently required to make choice and abandon whole branch.
It would make impossible to (accidentally) research everything before your colony's story come to an end.

So having a researcher would always be useful.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

KillTyrant

Quote from: Kegereneku on April 08, 2015, 07:02:49 AM
Your idea is very fragmented, and doesn't look predictable, making it not that "KISS".

In my mind the tech-tree would be long and vast enough that you are frequently required to make choice and abandon whole branch.
It would make impossible to (accidentally) research everything before your colony's story come to an end.

So having a researcher would always be useful.

The point wasn't to be 100% predictable. There are favorable outcomes and non-favorable ones. I simply stated it could be just based on the researchers skill or in conjunction with their traits. Also based on how the tech tree is NOW versus some hypothetical, you can finish the tree in 1 or 2 months. Leaving any skilled researcher to have their skill to waste away. Even based on your link provided. There will be players that want to put in post-ending effort. This idea is meant to give the researching skill more robust purpose in the game after the tree is fulled out.

KillTyrant

I know that this is necroing but I still very much like this idea and I still dont see any other threads regarding this idea specifically. So in shameless self double post bump. Im going to try vocalizing this idea again this year :D

Toggle

You're not supposed to bump it without adding anything to it. You could of added at least new ideas, anything. Honestly it seems like what you're suggesting is simply random mood buffs researchers get about research, although without actually being related. Wouldn't really make them useful. It would be nice for a use for something after research but this would just be additional random mood boosts that colonists get already.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

KillTyrant

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on February 19, 2016, 11:14:09 PM
You're not supposed to bump it without adding anything to it. You could of added at least new ideas, anything. Honestly it seems like what you're suggesting is simply random mood buffs researchers get about research, although without actually being related. Wouldn't really make them useful. It would be nice for a use for something after research but this would just be additional random mood boosts that colonists get already.

hmm.. Then perhaps temporary buffs to other actions. For instance higher success rate on surgery and a boost in sculpting speed.

edit*
I am referring to buffs AFTER the full tech tree is researched. That an option will refresh after X amount of ticks (to prevent spamming) that will enable your researcher to continue to be able to use that skill. As it stands, after you complete the tech tree the research skill is completely useless. I wanted to give it some use through out your colony's life.

Toggle

It would probably be better to just give a buff to learning skills based off research skill, up to 20%. 15 research skill? 15% extra learning speed for everything.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

KillTyrant

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on February 20, 2016, 12:34:36 PM
It would probably be better to just give a buff to learning skills based off research skill, up to 20%. 15 research skill? 15% extra learning speed for everything.

That could be something. Maybe introduce a bookself joy item that can slowly build research of colonist.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: KillTyrant on February 20, 2016, 08:22:45 PM

That could be something. Maybe introduce a bookself joy item that can slowly build research of colonist.

Not if the bookshelf is filled with things that would lead to "Private time" joy activity...
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

KillTyrant

Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 21, 2016, 08:04:31 PM
Quote from: KillTyrant on February 20, 2016, 08:22:45 PM

Not if the bookshelf is filled with things that would lead to "Private time" joy activity...

Nothing wrong with firing off a couple knuckle children.