joy? I thought this was about survival?

Started by colonist707, April 20, 2015, 05:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonist707

I have to admit I'm more than a little displeased with the direction of this game. This game has so much potential I would hate to see it turn into "the sims". I'm not interested in watching my colonists play horseshoes or make out with eachother, rather them find alternate shelter  or fight of crazy aliens. This should be more about building a colony with a sole purpose to survive and be able to defend themselves from unknown alien inhabitants, not playing chess and wearing dresses.  Love what you're doing so far I just hope you put more effort into survival and less into clothes and silly time wasting items and chores.

JonoRig

Just a short mention, there are no aliens in the timworld lore. I think there's mention of mutated humans, and all the animals are mutated or evolved forms of earth creatures too, but there's not "aliens"

Plus, I enjoy the joy system, sure, the games not the Sims, but they are meant to be "people" and frankly, if you make it a dark, gritty survival to the next day, scraping through day by day, a good proportion is just going to give up and get themselves shot after cracking under pressure (see any war for any number of examples, especially WW1)

Maybe more survival aspects need to be added, maybe they don't, but I'd rather them need a little R&R, then having to pee 5 times a day, poop at least once, and drink every couple hours, leaving no time for work.

You can't expect them to survive on a planet 1-10 years and not have a little fun, they'd go insane. And whilst this game is unique currently, if you go to far down the survival route, it's gonna get more and more similar to all the other survival games being released all the time. Rimworld's style will always be unique, but going too in-depth into the survival/crafting mechanic, without other distractions, could also detract from the experience and make it tedious.

However, I do think there needs to be more survival challenges, I'm sick of my walls exploding 5 times in a row and then hit my an evil space ship and a couple raids... Only to survive it all and get a solar flare and/or crop blight.

mcduff

If you don't think people in survival situations are going to jerry rig a still and a dartboard, I'm inclined to suggest you don't understand people very well.

(on that note, can we have a still and a dartboard? :D :D )

Shanaki

I don't disagree with what you're saying with the Joy element. I'm less inclined to give a crap about how happy my little colonists are when I've told them to build an effigy of me made out of cut marble, but I appreciate that if I were trying to survive on a desolate rimworld and I was utterly miserable, I'd probably just feed myself to a Muffalo.

I think in any game where you micro-manage the survival of a bunch of little chaps (and chap-ettes), you need to understand their mental states and give them pleasant distractions so they don't lose their minds. Perhaps (and I must admit, I haven't looked to see if this is a thing) the passions that level their skills so much quicker can also raise their joy levels, or at least stabilise their mental break, so you needn't worry so much about creating reasons for them to ignore their workload. Bloody slackers.

In regards to the clothes sorting. That was a fantastic idea. I couldn't care if they're wearing several layers of warm clothing for the winter, or florescent pink onesies, but the fact they can look for clothes when their undergarments disintegrate is a) what i'd expect from any sane person, and b) a bloody useful way of minimising unnecessary busywork :) it also means if you're someone who wants to maximise potential in every situation, you can leave any power armour/shields/etc in storage until you need them, and they can very quickly be told which sets to switch to in a rush.

More crazy alien fights is a must, though! I'm all about the fighting :)

EDIT: Just saw JonoRig's comment. What he said :)

PotatoeTater

While I agree that more survival aspects could be added, such as water, Joy is still very important. Historically speaking besides finding weapons, toys are one of the most common found objects around the world during archaeology excavations. So what's to stop our colonists from carving some chess pieces.
Life is Strange

Silvador

Quote from: mcduff on April 20, 2015, 05:46:42 AM
If you don't think people in survival situations are going to jerry rig a still and a dartboard, I'm inclined to suggest you don't understand people very well.

(on that note, can we have a still and a dartboard? :D :D )

I second this motion. The second I read it, still and dartboard sounded an epic idea. Perhaps the still can provide stronger, more enjoyable beverages early on, but at significantly less of a production rate, to balance out having the brewery as an option as well, after being researched.

keylocke

i thought "relationships" was part of the kickstarter goals for rimworld?

besides, not everyone hates the sims. i actually enjoy playing with sims, just as much i enjoy killing sims in the most sadistic ways possible. lel.

LogicalPremise

Quote from: colonist707 on April 20, 2015, 05:21:50 AM
I have to admit I'm more than a little displeased with the direction of this game. This game has so much potential I would hate to see it turn into "the sims". I'm not interested in watching my colonists play horseshoes or make out with eachother, rather them find alternate shelter  or fight of crazy aliens. This should be more about building a colony with a sole purpose to survive and be able to defend themselves from unknown alien inhabitants, not playing chess and wearing dresses.  Love what you're doing so far I just hope you put more effort into survival and less into clothes and silly time wasting items and chores.

Well, that's great, but I have to admit I'm not interested in watching soulless, emotionless robots build and fight endlessly. That's called an RTS. Adding subsystems like this adds a greater challenge to survival.

You know what the hardest part of survival is, long-term? Mental stability. Comfort, the ability to feel safe, to enjoy things -- mismanaging those will result (or should result) in people cracking up and cacking each other with boomrats.

MarSmith

Quote from: LogicalPremise on April 24, 2015, 11:44:18 PM
You know what the hardest part of survival is, long-term? Mental stability. Comfort, the ability to feel safe, to enjoy things -- mismanaging those will result (or should result) in people cracking up and cacking each other with boomrats.

Quoted for truth. I took some aircrew survival training years and years ago. Probably 15 years ago now or close to it. During the course, it was raised that there is a lot of mental work to survival. In more advanced courses, they would go out to check on people during the final exercises  to make sure the isolation didn't kill them. Think about this, in a survival situation. Using the example of aircrew survival. You would land, build shelter, heat, snares, traps, then improve your conditions. You would build tables, perhaps even a horseshoe game, or a mini chessboard, or read a book, or adinfintium. If you were with other people, I'm sure you would do relaxing and time killing activities. Remember, rimworld takes place over a long period of time. What would you do in a year?

Kegereneku

It have been said over and again but this is precisely the "direction" in which Rimworld market itself and the direction I was/am willing to participate monetarily.

There's more than enough other RTS games where you build military base and troops to survive horde of alien, some of them like the famous X-COM already deal with fewer troops and psychic alien, most of them do a better jobs at :
Quote"find alternate shelter  or fight of crazy aliens. This should be more about building a colony with a sole purpose to survive and be able to defend themselves from unknown alien inhabitants"

In retrospect there would have been no point in the "mood system" if it wasn't to include aspects of "psychological" survival. And lastly along this Rimworld is also a storyteller, there's only so much you can write about killing endless wave of enemies.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

StriderGunship

I am totally agree with colonist707, game is just moving the wrong direction.

ascdren

Quote from: StriderGunship on April 25, 2015, 08:19:50 AM

don't like it feel free to stick to alpha 1 or go find something else to play, none is forcing you to update and play this ever improving game

StriderGunship

Quote from: ascdren on April 25, 2015, 08:40:51 AM

don't like it feel free to stick to alpha 1 or go find something else to play, none is forcing you to update and play this ever improving game

Changing and adding new stuff to game is good, but it doesnt mean that we need to create a sims-santa-barbara simulator from this game...

Aarkreinsil

Joy is the best thing ever. Now that people can binge on booze and food, mental breakdowns are way less severe than before and happen less often, too. It's not just that people can play chess or horseshoe-throwing, it's dealing with the PTSD-aspect of having to scrape the guts of your best friend off the wall after a fight.
So yeah, survival isn't just about not starving/freezing to death, it's also the survival of the mind. Just think of all the people who took the easy way out, despite having all of today's luxuries available´at their fingertips.

Regret

Quote from: StriderGunship on April 25, 2015, 09:02:23 AM
Quote from: ascdren on April 25, 2015, 08:40:51 AM

Changing and adding new stuff to game is good, but it doesnt mean that we need to create a sims-santa-barbara simulator from this game...
FPS voxel sandbox games may be more your style.
For example, you will like 7 Days To Die, I know I do.
It has lots of crafting, lots of fighting, and none of the social interaction apart from other players but you can just shoot them in the face and steal their stuff if you are so inclined. Personally, I like working with people to defend each other from the zombies.

Personally, I like both types of game.
I wouldn't want Rimworld to be more about fighting if that means it would lose simulation gameplay.