joy? I thought this was about survival?

Started by colonist707, April 20, 2015, 05:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironvos

Honestly i unfortunately have to agree with the fact that it doesn't seem like a great addition to the game at this point. 
Maybe it can be expanded upon later on in later alpha versions, but atm joy doesn't seem to add anything substantial in a way of gameplay value. 
My main concern is me having fun playing, whether a pawn in game has fun is the least of my concern despite the fact that it may be realistically necessary for a survival situation.
I've been kind of feeling me have less fun playing since A9 due to all the extra tedious micromanagement.
Luckily i can still go back to earlier alphas if i want to since i still have many of the old versions, but that's probably not an option for everyone. 
But i'm still looking forward to what next alphas bring and it may turn things around still.

billycop32

Quote from: Ironvos on April 25, 2015, 07:11:14 PM
Honestly i unfortunately have to agree with the fact that it doesn't seem like a great addition to the game at this point. 
Maybe it can be expanded upon later on in later alpha versions, but atm joy doesn't seem to add anything substantial in a way of gameplay value. 
My main concern is me having fun playing, whether a pawn in game has fun is the least of my concern despite the fact that it may be realistically necessary for a survival situation.
I've been kind of feeling me have less fun playing since A9 due to all the extra tedious micromanagement.
Luckily i can still go back to earlier alphas if i want to since i still have many of the old versions, but that's probably not an option for everyone. 
But i'm still looking forward to what next alphas bring and it may turn things around still.
I don't really see the tedious micromanagement you speak of.
I set my colony up rather easily so that I can focus on the big picture- joy is a new mechanic that adds another need yes, but it's so easy to fufill I haven't really even noticed it beyond the Tons O' joy perk my colonists get. 
can you give some examples?

Pathing

In alpha 10, many jobs become more important.
There is the lack of employees for each job at early game but once you get about 6-7 colonists
the complication itself become lesser and much easier to play.

Honestly, from what I play. I can play on a mode that is more difficult than current extreme by 3x in extreme temperature bio-me. (I love extreme temperature)  ;)

QuoteThe keys of alpha 10 are the TIME TABLE and Private room.

QuotePrivate room is for letting them enjoy themselves.

QuoteFor time table, I reduced sleeping time to 5 hr then anything for 9(half of the rest) and end it with work(half of the rest).
This is because after they finish sleeping, they will do the breakfast then enjoy themselves respectively. Basically, I let them manage their time in "Anything" period for food, joy and work instead of commanding them directly.
Steel is food. Steel is defense. Steel is weapon.
Steel is RimWorld.

Kegereneku

If you have to actively micromanage your Pawn in rimworld, I say you are playing it wrong.

It take a little time at the beginning to set up everything and you are cruelly understaffed but in the end the goal is for you to have a global control over a self-adapting colony, in a way more complex yet manageable than other games I've seen (which are very simple or break once you look away).
'Joy' is only a new part of what you will NOT micromanage, it may look like it waste "valuable time" for something that "only add to immersion" but it do give you a new way to manage the moods of your colonists.

Not forgetting that Rimworld is also a Storyteller about crashed survivor, events are when you have to make decision and may have to actively control your pawn to fight.
This is still survival, mood will simply have a greater impact in it than killboxing Raiders. The same way we are waiting for Diplomacy between factions.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

emheath

I hope that this game will be a good mix of simulaton and survival. There isn't a lot of games out there that do this right.

Wolfen Waffle

This isn't dwarf fortress, its a colony simulator  :o get over it

This isn't starcraft where your drones just go back and forth getting resources, they have personalities and such...

ZebioLizard2

Quote from: Wolfen Waffle on April 26, 2015, 04:25:01 PM
This isn't dwarf fortress, its a colony simulator  :o get over it

This isn't starcraft where your drones just go back and forth getting resources, they have personalities and such...

Even in Dwarf Fortress you have to make sure everyone's mood is fine, lest you get a Tantrum Spiral that ends with your dwarves throwing each other into magma or off the mountain.

Tobias

Quote from: MarSmith on April 25, 2015, 02:25:05 AM
Quote from: LogicalPremise on April 24, 2015, 11:44:18 PM
You know what the hardest part of survival is, long-term? Mental stability. Comfort, the ability to feel safe, to enjoy things -- mismanaging those will result (or should result) in people cracking up and cacking each other with boomrats.

Quoted for truth. I took some aircrew survival training years and years ago. Probably 15 years ago now or close to it. During the course, it was raised that there is a lot of mental work to survival. In more advanced courses, they would go out to check on people during the final exercises  to make sure the isolation didn't kill them. Think about this, in a survival situation. Using the example of aircrew survival. You would land, build shelter, heat, snares, traps, then improve your conditions. You would build tables, perhaps even a horseshoe game, or a mini chessboard, or read a book, or adinfintium. If you were with other people, I'm sure you would do relaxing and time killing activities. Remember, rimworld takes place over a long period of time. What would you do in a year?

++1
Had some survival training as well. Survival is about mental stability. It doesn't matter if you have food or water or shelter if your mind is broken. And a mental stability and "joy" even can compensate (within some degree) if elemental needs are not fulfilled.

And for the gameplay it add a lot personality to the pawns. And that the core of if.
We don't play Rimworld because of mindless zombies or robots, but for the "story". And a good story needs emotions, like joy.
If you want emotionless zombies go grab a RTS.

I think adding the joy sytem was a big step in the right direction, keep it coming!