Renaming colonist jobs

Started by BattleFate, April 20, 2015, 01:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BattleFate

Hey,

I often end up using colonists for other jobs than what their 'pre-rimworld' position was. I don't necessarily use a Janitor for cleaning if he's a great cook and I need one of those.

Could we have those jobs renamable in-game? So that I can name my cooks, cooks and my researchers, researchers, etc?

This would allow me an easier way of managing my colonists in my colony tasks assignment tab.

Kegereneku

+1

A solution to many problem and suggestion I've read here.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

keylocke

A_Soft_Machine_Man

+1 fo' sho. Would solve a lot of issues, not least of which is being able to see what everyone is at a glance over trudging through the priority list (got a colony of 36, and it's a nightmare figuring out who does what). 

Cracker21

+1, you could even just add an optional block in the character tab that is listed as "colony occupation" that way you wouldn't have to remove or edit their "past" occupation. It would keep the gameplay and imagination factor intact. Just my thought but I agree completely.

Benny the Icepick

Quote from: Cracker21 on April 20, 2015, 06:17:58 PM
+1, you could even just add an optional block in the character tab that is listed as "colony occupation" that way you wouldn't have to remove or edit their "past" occupation. It would keep the gameplay and imagination factor intact. Just my thought but I agree completely.
Yeah, keep in mind that a person's occupation has a direct impact on their skills (http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Backstories).  If you need a reminder as to what a person's role is in your colony, why not just rename them entirely?  Cook1, Hunter1, Hunter2, etc.

Havan_IronOak

Quote from: BattleFate on April 20, 2015, 01:02:42 PM
Hey,

Could we have those jobs renamable in-game? So that I can name my cooks, cooks and my researchers, researchers, etc?

This would allow me an easier way of managing my colonists in my colony tasks assignment tab.

Gotta agree! I currently use the nicknames feature for that but every game starts to feel the same after a while. I've always got a Cookie, Dasher, Digger, Doc, Hunter(or Gunnar if he's fast) ,. Generally there's a Books, and occasionally Farmer or Seeds. Also an Arty etc.

BattleFate

Quote from: Benny the Icepick on April 20, 2015, 06:51:20 PM
Quote from: Cracker21 on April 20, 2015, 06:17:58 PM
Yeah, keep in mind that a person's occupation has a direct impact on their skills (http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Backstories).  If you need a reminder as to what a person's role is in your colony, why not just rename them entirely?  Cook1, Hunter1, Hunter2, etc.

I'd thought of that, but I also like to RP the colony a little. Having characters named 'Cook1, Janitor1, Janitor2' takes me out of the experience.

I wouldn't mind being able to see their past occupation still, I just figured it would be easier to let us write over that than give us an entirely new 'colony occupation' field to play with, although that would probably be the best option.

Kegereneku

The way I see it a colonist WAS and a colonist IS.
I see no reasons a respected scientist can't become a religious lunatic and an assassin a Hippie.
So having at least one field describing what he is now be editable would be great.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Jimyoda

+1, Yes, having the generated occupation displayed with the name is not a value-added feature when their colony role makes it inaccurate or obsolete. I agree with Cracker21. The displayed occupation could be a it's own variable that takes the generated occupation as its default, but can be freely changed by the player.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/