Solution for killboxes??

Started by mc858, April 26, 2015, 06:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc858

Heres the ideas i liked most on this thread

1- Make aiming better and weapons stronger - this would cut the need for turret killboxes

2- Turrets become a build order at a metal shop

3- City warfare - never even tried it

id like to see some of these late game cities with no killboxes . please post pics or something  because i honestly cant see how it would work out on hard with a wealthy colony

RemingtonRyder

By the way, thanks for the tip about not fighting the Scythers in the open. I decided to build a town-like colony out from my central base, and the street corners are great for ambushes.

Then I forgot about that when tribals attacked and one of my colonists ended up with an arrow in the heart. RIP Vala.

Kaballah

If you're going to try that kind of tactic, you should be using weapons that suit it - shotguns and SMGs work way better when you can force close quarters than rifles, because they have a shorter warmup.  If you can string out the incoming bad guys you should rarely lose a colonist, also if you're really quick about retreating around corners.

TLHeart

also town fighting is about multiple points of attack with short range weapons, that confuse the enemy on who to fire at. IN that confused state brawlers take them down.

RickyMartini

Too bad raiders almost never focus on one side and attack without changing target. Meaning they don't get "confused".

rexx1888

you guys get that urban warfare like your describing is just a different kill box right?? thats not lost on you all is it?? Seriously. what defines a kill box.

its a small area where the enemy isnt able to easily get a firing solution on your dudes, but where your dudes can line them up like fish in a barrel. Hello Alleys and city warfare. I mean, you're doing the killbox better than others, because you can move yours and flank better, but it is still, at the end of the day, a kill box.

RemingtonRyder

Yes, however it's not as infallible a killbox as a courtyard filled with turrets. Your colonists can still be wounded and die, your firepower may take a while to take down the raiders, and so on.

Turps

Yep different to the point that its not a killbox its someones bedroom barrys hanging out of shooting or oh look multiple exits from the kitchen to surprise the enemy or from a stock pile area. Not a killbox but a base/home. fighting like this is called urban combat or street fighting. It works quiet well too.

and AI don't really get confused but ye can waste their warm up/aim time, also they do stay focused on the last target for a bit while his behind a door another can flip out a cap and blast his sorry ass.
Its not a battle unless some limbs are getting shot off!

TLHeart

Quote from: rexx1888 on May 01, 2015, 07:41:19 AM
you guys get that urban warfare like your describing is just a different kill box right?? thats not lost on you all is it?? Seriously. what defines a kill box.

its a small area where the enemy isnt able to easily get a firing solution on your dudes, but where your dudes can line them up like fish in a barrel. Hello Alleys and city warfare. I mean, you're doing the killbox better than others, because you can move yours and flank better, but it is still, at the end of the day, a kill box.

a kill box is a designated area to engage the enemy, where you hope to have the advantage....

It can be natural terrain.

The differences, and what many people are complaining about are not kill boxes exactly, but the automated turret kill box, where there is no risk to the colony or the colonists.

RemingtonRyder

Yes, exactly. Like  a mob grinder in Minecraft.

RickyMartini

Could not agree more with TLHearth.

Rahjital

In Rimworld community lingo, killbox refers to an artificially created area built in such a way as to funnel the attackers and stack the odds in favour of the defenders, ie the kind of killbox TLHeart described. Towns are generally not built with combat in mind, they just happen to be good places to mount defence.

TLHeart

Quote from: Rahjital on May 01, 2015, 11:13:36 AM
In Rimworld community lingo, killbox refers to an artificially created area built in such a way as to funnel the attackers and stack the odds in favour of the defenders, ie the kind of killbox TLHeart described. Towns are generally not built with combat in mind, they just happen to be good places to mount defence.

my town was totally planned out with combat in mind, no long straight streets, lots of alleyways for flanking, a natural lake and mud to slow down attacks from the west, with lots of places to hide and shoot from.

Demoulius

Honestly I see no problem with the killbox. Theyre expensive to setup and if you dont plan them ahead exploding turrets can kill more of your own guys then enemies. Its not until you build a wall that forces enemies to come within turret range that they really shine.

I made a colony in the middle of a field with little to no excisting hills/mountains on the maps. It took me almost 2 years to build a wall big enough to wrap around the colony. In the meantime I had to weather tons and tons of enemies who all outranged my turrets and kept outranging the majority of my colonists. Only sniper rifles and hunting rifles (was that what theyre called? havent played in a few days  :o) can fire back at scythers, tribals with bows or other enemies with weapons that have a simular range. The way the game is setup you CANT rely on turrets along if your not building in a mountain or have a wall like I outlined above setup. And even then, most enemies cannot be overcome by the turrets alone and need to be supported by my colonists hiding behind sandbags meaning that my colonists still quite often get an arrow/charge rifle to the brain....

I dont see any problem here tbh. And if you dont like the idea behind static defenses, dont build them? God knows they are useless against sieges  ::)

superfratze

One solution for dealing with late game colonies is keeping wealth down, just like in DF.

I'm doing a one house refuge right now and my only solution to raiders has been locking myself inside until they bash the door in.

I tried it before but got whiped, it was pretty fun.