'Priority Build' designator

Started by Kaballah, April 28, 2015, 08:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaballah

It would be nice to mark specific constructions to be built ASAP, to reduce screwing around with colonist labor priority settings and individual "Prioritize" right-click micromanagement.  Especially early in a colony's construction you very often run into a situation where there are just a ton of active jobs waiting to be done but you need THIS THING built RIGHT NOW (e.g. turrets or power grid stuff) - I'd like to just designate whatever blueprints with a brush and have them be completed at top priority by whoever has Construction enabled.

hyperpeople

+1  I remember this in the early "the settlers" , was very helpful

[attachment deleted due to age]
Quote from: NoImageAvailable on March 25, 2015, 02:15:46 PM
Its really weird to hear of a colony that isn't run like Auschwitz and selling human leather for a living.

Adamiks

Benny the Icepick

I don't know how it could be implemented, but I'd love a screen that lists the construction projects and you could drag more important ones higher in the list.  It would be easy enough for furniture and buildings, but I'm not sure how it would work once you get to walls, floors, etc. (certainly listing each by tile would be outrageous; could all contiguous tiles of the same job be grouped easily?)

This could be extended (perhaps more easily) to crafting, medical operations, and other orders that use the billing system.

Kegereneku

Myself I alway used direct order and haven't needed more.

I can understand, if you find your colonist are slacking off on say, sowing or cooking rather than building that monuments to your glory.

But (seriously) I don't feel "priority amongst construction" needed. I always get things done in time. And a Direct Order don't take much time anyway.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Kaballah

Sure you absolutely can micromanage it, just not everyone enjoys that and the game can evidently handle this kind of tech.

Kegereneku

I don't need to micromanage my colony to get things done. I simply don't overwhelm my colonist once the start (hard period) is passed, and I also don't expect them to click/build like RTS game used us to.

"Selecting higher priority building" however, that is what I call micromanagement.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

TLHeart

all in how much you tell them to do with each build order you set up, give them 100 tasks, and then need something right now, not going to happen without micro. Give smaller groups of tasks, they complete them quickly and can move right to that much needed task. All in how you want to play the game.

Kaballah

You have just described the essence of micromanagement, congratulations!

TLHeart

Quote from: Kaballah on April 29, 2015, 05:51:00 PM
You have just described the essence of micromanagement, congratulations!

no I have describe macromanagement... never give an employee or pawn more than they can complete in one shift. I do not manege what order they do the jobs in that day, or which wall piece they build first.

very different from having to micromanage each pawn to build that wall, or that turret, that you cued up behind 100 other projects.

Kaballah

isistoy

Quote from: TLHeart on April 29, 2015, 06:19:40 PM
never give an employee or pawn more than they can complete in one shift.
That's a good piece of management advice and the game reacts nicely, when you do it :P
You can still force micro some of them, on specific tasks, but mostly leaving them to what they are already assigned to and doing task planning to match with your work force accordingly.
It also avoids having the engine to launch recalc on the scheduling of your active builders all at once  ::)
<Stay on the scene like a State machine>

Kaballah

I wasn't really looking for advice on how to play but rather to suggest a feature to Tynan, so thanks for the posts!