Gripes with the new equipping system

Started by Panzer, May 15, 2015, 12:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer

Hello guys,
Im having gripes with the auto-equip system. Currently, a colonist will go for a new piece of clothing if it has higher hitpoints than his current one, regardless of protection value, which, in my opinion, doesnt make sense (almost wanted to make a post in the bug section). The screenshot shows such a case, switching a masterwork quality devilstrand duster for a good quality cloth one.

I made this thread to ask Tynan to please change that, as well as get some more opinions on the matter (maybe I didnt look into it enough) and some suggestions on how it could be changed.

My suggestion is to equip clothing with the sharp modifier as value (it seems to work with armor vests, the colonists seem to equip the piece with higher protection value), to just get the best protection for my colonists without having to force-wear or to forbid stuff everytime wearables with higher hp are lying around. Maybe something like a checkbox to go for the insulation value or heat protection value instead.

[attachment deleted due to age]

userfredle

Lol tynan what were you smoking when you made this system! i had no idea it was only on hitpoints as i havent paid much attention to it, but dang thats a huge glitch.

This feature definitely needs a fix / Upgrade whatever you wanna call it to make it viable in game and not just more micromanagement

UnknownSeeker

I also wish that armor could be a different auto equip category for quality since we can't make it and can only use what we find or can find to buy. This way I can set my colonists to use only good+ clothes but any (power) armor they can find.

BetaSpectre

Clothing and Armor should be worn seperately and no one should auto equip unless its optional to let them auto equip to avoid mood loss.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

laston

http://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/32tcow/more_precisely_how_does_the_new_outfit_system_work/cqeevd3

Within this link, Tyn describes how the selection system works... If he's changed it, it might be different since this was 30 days ago.

RickyMartini

Panzer

Thank you for the link, laston, wouldnt have looked there. Been some time since I read c++ code, seems like only insulation and hitpoints are considered.

The bottom post by LCCX is exactly what I mean, smart guy, he anticipated what would happen ;D

Right now the system is doing the opposite of what it should do in the first place, reduce micromanagement. I find myself making dusters for my people in boreal and tundra, just because no raider brings along a duster in that biome, and so I dont need to force-wear everything, because thats no different from alpha 9 then.

By the way, talking about equipping, can guys pls not auto-wear personal shields? :P first thing a downed colonist does after he gets out of the med bed is going for a personal shield, even if hes not a melee guy.
Maybe you could let the combat skills decide if he should wear one or not, e.g. high melee skill = auto-wear, shooting skill higher = dont wear a shield.
Guess I ll make a separate post in the suggestions forum, before things get mixed up here :P

Cimm0

I, too, would like to see a separated system for armor and clothing as having my dudes toss a 50% HP power armor helmet away to wear a cowboy hat for combat slowly becomes annoying.

Tynan

If you read my last post in the reddit thread you can see the current version that you're running (the first post I made is obsolete).

I'll quote it here
/// <summary>
/// Gives the score of the apparel ignoring anything it might replace.
/// </summary>
public static float ApparelScoreRaw( Apparel ap )
{
    //Start with a base score, because we like wearing things in general over wearing nothing
    //This gives things like personal shields a >0 score
    float score = 0.2f;

//Offset for armor
    float armorScore
        = ap.def.GetStatValueAbstract( StatDefOf.ArmorRating_Sharp )
          + ap.def.GetStatValueAbstract( StatDefOf.ArmorRating_Blunt ) * 0.75f;
    score += armorScore;

//Factor for health
    if( ap.def.useHitPoints )
    {
        float healthPct = (float)ap.HitPoints / (float)ap.MaxHitPoints;
        score *= HitPointsPercentScoreFactorCurve.Evaluate( healthPct );
    }

//Factor for warmth if needed (note we ignore NeededWarmth.Cool)
    float tempFactor = 1f;
    if( neededWarmth == NeededWarmth.Warm )
    {
        var insulationCold = ap.def.GetStatValueAbstract( StatDefOf.Insulation_Cold );
        tempFactor *= InsulationColdScoreFactorCurve_NeedWarm.Evaluate(insulationCold);
    }
    score *= tempFactor;

return score;
}
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Panzer

Alright apologies, you did consider sharp and blunt, just skimmed through and got stuck at the end of the thread, shouldnt have done that.

But something is still off, it is like sharp and blunt arent having much of an impact on the score or arent there at all, just tried it again with a 87% good cloth shirt and a 69% masterwork devistrand shirt (which is superior in every stat except hitpoints), my colonist always goes for the cloth one.

What about that 'clothing has to have at least  X% hp so you can wear it' modifier in the outfit section, does that one somehow mess with the score?

Im kinda amazed that Im the only one here pointing this out, alpha 10f has been out there a while, am I the only one who is bothered by that?

RickyMartini

I wrote it somewhere but never got serious about it, because it's hard to understand what exactly is wrong. But yes, it's something like that. The will pretty much prefer 99% shoddy over 70% masterwork

Tynan

The balance is probably off, I'll make a note to adjust it before A11.

Thank you for letting me know :)

skullywag

I still personally dont like that i cant set the material colonists can wear, I want uniforms dammit! :p
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Carry

There is another small problem with the 'apparel optimizer' - technically a modding problem, but I mention it anyway.
The function only checks apparel in stockpiles. It should check apparel in any (valid) storage.

My colonists only dropped clothes, but never equipped new stuff. It took me quite some time to realize that I'm not using vanilla equipment racks. I modded them to hold anything and not just weapons - stuff on the ground is not very civilized :)

Tynan

Quote from: Carry on May 17, 2015, 11:41:10 AM
There is another small problem with the 'apparel optimizer' - technically a modding problem, but I mention it anyway.
The function only checks apparel in stockpiles. It should check apparel in any (valid) storage.

My colonists only dropped clothes, but never equipped new stuff. It took me quite some time to realize that I'm not using vanilla equipment racks. I modded them to hold anything and not just weapons - stuff on the ground is not very civilized :)

Good point; let me look into handling that.