New type of attack

Started by TwixFunSize, May 15, 2015, 01:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwixFunSize

So i think it would be really cool if enemies would form up in a protective shield like position like the Romans used to do. ( I have a link of a picture down below) To make this strategy more modern, their would be guys with shields in the front, with guys with guns, grenades etc, behind the shield users. Of course this tactic would involve a lot of men, So it would be an attack that happens much later in the span of your colony. ! I would appreciate if you left feedback down below! Thanks!

[attachment deleted due to age]

BetaSpectre

Launch Rocket.
Problem solved.

IMO the way they rush at you ATM is more dangerous than a Testudos Gives you less time to react.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

LittleGreenStone

Testudo was great, for arrows could hardly penetrate the shield wall. Bows, about the only mobile ranged weapon (catapults/ballistas took time to set up) at the time.
It is not surprising current troops don't march into battle using such tactics.
For one, a lot of firearms can penetrate such shields, for another (see above) any type of explosive device would simply decimate the whole formation.
It's a good idea, having different type of attacks, but this isn't one of them in my opinion.

I'd deal with them with rocket launchers, grenades or those fire...shooting guns, whatever they're called.
They'd be easy prey.

Toggle

Also, couldn't you just make your people specifically shoot at the ones behind the shields? It would be incredibly easy with them in that formation to take out the most damaging ones, with the best weapons and such, and have melee great the front.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on May 16, 2015, 10:00:58 PM
Also, couldn't you just make your people specifically shoot at the ones behind the shields? It would be incredibly easy with them in that formation to take out the most damaging ones, with the best weapons and such, and have melee great the front.

Nah because bullets hit this in the way heaps easier then the thing that was aimed at.

In fact you can greatly increase your kill rate by manually targeting raiders standing behind other raiders - you might only have a 40-60% to hit him, but you have a 90-95% chance of hitting the guy in front of him.

Toggle

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on May 17, 2015, 09:09:59 AM
Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on May 16, 2015, 10:00:58 PM

Nah because bullets hit this in the way heaps easier then the thing that was aimed at.

In fact you can greatly increase your kill rate by manually targeting raiders standing behind other raiders - you might only have a 40-60% to hit him, but you have a 90-95% chance of hitting the guy in front of him.
Statistics huh.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Havan_IronOak

Quote from: LittleGreenStone on May 16, 2015, 11:28:52 AM
Testudo was great, for arrows could hardly penetrate the shield wall. Bows, about the only mobile ranged weapon (catapults/ballistas took time to set up) at the time.
It is not surprising current troops don't march into battle using such tactics....

I agree that the testudo has seen its day. I Do find myself wondering why something similar wasn't used in the U.S. Civil War. A large iron cylinder that could shield a dozen men or so COULD have been rolled around the battlefield. A number of devices like that might have made all the difference at battles like Fredericksburg and Gettysburg.

hector212121

What about shield generators? I imagine it takes more oomph to make one-way shielding, so having five dudes hauling it and ten firing out of it...

BetaSpectre

Quote from: Havan_IronOak on May 17, 2015, 04:52:20 PM
Quote from: LittleGreenStone on May 16, 2015, 11:28:52 AM
It is not surprising current troops don't march into battle using such tactics....

I agree that the testudo has seen its day. I Do find myself wondering why something similar wasn't used in the U.S. Civil War. A large iron cylinder that could shield a dozen men or so COULD have been rolled around the battlefield. A number of devices like that might have made all the difference at battles like Fredericksburg and Gettysburg.
Armored Troops showed up once. They ran out of supplies were surrounded and routed.
Immune to damage Yes, Able to dish out damage with impunity yes, able to be flexible to engage no, able to be supplied no.

Armor is also very expensive to get enough metal and high enough quality to equip your troops.
Plate mail of days of yore did not protect against lower quality weapons. Now we have cannons.
Armored divisions would be decimated like Pickett's Charge.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
                           TO WAR WE GO

BetaSpectre

Quote from: hector212121 on May 17, 2015, 07:13:50 PM
What about shield generators? I imagine it takes more oomph to make one-way shielding, so having five dudes hauling it and ten firing out of it...
There's a mod for this. Shield Generators. Though it isn't mobile.
IMO mind as well get a mod that adds tank drones at this rate xD!
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
                           TO WAR WE GO

ARiA1089

Quote from: TwixFunSize on May 15, 2015, 01:43:39 PM
So i think it would be really cool if enemies would form up in a protective shield like position like the Romans used to do. ( I have a link of a picture down below) To make this strategy more modern, their would be guys with shields in the front, with guys with guns, grenades etc, behind the shield users. Of course this tactic would involve a lot of men, So it would be an attack that happens much later in the span of your colony. ! I would appreciate if you left feedback down below! Thanks!
the formation used is called " phalanx" formation, was very nice although im pretty sure mods that give you cruise missile launchers would make this formation easy loot time, aswell as pre-cremating the corpses with those missiles
──▄▀──────────█──
──▄▀───────────█── Careful Kids, he got raided
─▄▀─█───────────█─
█──▄█────────▄──█─
─▀▀─█──█──█──█▄▀
────█──█──█▀▀
────█──█▄▄█
────█──█
────▀▄▄▀

Havan_IronOak

Quote from: ARiA1089 on May 18, 2015, 02:56:44 PM

the formation used is called " phalanx" formation, ...

Not exactly! The Phalanx was a Greek innovation where they used the advantage of their long long spears (and a whole lotta co-ordinated training) to kill enemies before they could reach the shield wall.

The testudo (which is latin for turtle) was the formation where shield carriers used their shields to protect against airborne missiles.

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Havan_IronOak on May 18, 2015, 03:10:36 PM
Quote from: ARiA1089 on May 18, 2015, 02:56:44 PM

the formation used is called " phalanx" formation, ...

Not exactly! The Phalanx was a Greek innovation where they used the advantage of their long long spears (and a whole lotta co-ordinated training) to kill enemies before they could reach the shield wall.

The testudo (which is latin for turtle) was the formation where shield carriers used their shields to protect against airborne missiles.

Not exactly? Not at all! The Roman Testudo was indeed a purely defensive formation, used to protect against arrows. The Greek phalanx on the other hand was an offensive defense formation, with its unending amounts of spears sticking forward, protecting against a frontal assault of troops (and cavalry), not arrows. They had shields for some protection, but those protected individuals, and was not the part of a defence for the whole formation.

Though the formations are...somewhat similar, their purpose was entirely different.

leax256

on the subject of new attacks it'd be cool if joint attacks between factions would be cool