More ways to win the game! and more ideas!

Started by mecool, May 17, 2015, 05:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mecool

i like the idea of the ship building and all but aren't you a bunch of colonists ? aren't ou SUPPOSED to be on the planet ? anyways my idea maybe was that you could conquer the world by either destroying all other factions or ally them (or destroy some and ally some ofcourse). so that would also add the option to raid other factions which would make the game more interesting. maybe add the option to construct own robots and that enemies can also build them. (Maybe reconstruct fallen mechanoids ?). AND MORE RACES! sci-fi means alien races with each a special attribute making it better to survive!

ARiA1089

sci-fi doesn't mean more alien races, there are a lot of sci-fi games and such that have only HUMANS and standard animals, such as "space run" and "Astrox"
to be honest i really dislike the idea of raiding other factions, you see them raiding you and hopefully failing and if you raid them your probs gonna die too unless you send 30+ guys armed with mini-guns rocket launchers and snipers, aswell as that some mods that turn those guys into Frankenstein's monster but with bionics and impenetrable Armour, aswell as this the normal end we have is fine until say the game is released maybe
──▄▀──────────█──
──▄▀───────────█── Careful Kids, he got raided
─▄▀─█───────────█─
█──▄█────────▄──█─
─▀▀─█──█──█──█▄▀
────█──█──█▀▀
────█──█▄▄█
────█──█
────▀▄▄▀

puddlejumper448

Have you played the game? (not trying to sound rude, its a real question) The first thing that happens in the game is you ship crashes and your colonists fall in escape pods, stranding you on the planet. You are meant, story wise, to survive until you find a way off the planet. That being said, it would be neat to see an end game that didn't involve leaving, maybe your colonists liked it on the planet and decided to stay, or maybe they were slaves and the slave ship carrying them blew up so they have to stay. Also, aliens may be a common thing in sci-fi, but there are still plenty of sci-fis without them, they aren't mutually exclusive. I personally like the absence of aliens in this game

Lhoto

True with the escape capsules. I do have two issues with this though --  are you really going to name some place when you're going to try to leave it as quickly as possible? Begs the question of the "colonists'" intent, especially since they're referred to as "colonists" instead of "refugees" or "survivors".

Matthiasagreen

it explains that even though they won't be staying, one of the colonists feel it should be named

also the word colonist just means someone who starts a colony. A colony is simply a place that has been settled. Doesn't mean anyone is staying there for good. There was a lot of talk a while back regarding the name "Colonist" and it pretty much was decided that no other name really fit for them. I personally don't feel like finding the thread, though.

*edit* found thread, wasn't as hard as i thought.

Quote from: Tynan on March 17, 2015, 02:20:23 AM
I've thought of this, but there really is no word that fits better.

Settler - same problem
Survivor - too general, your enemies can be survivors if they survive your gunfire to escape
Citizens - incorrect as there really isn't a government
Refugees - this denotes a person fleeing from danger/persecution, which your colonists in RW aren't
Castaways - correct for the first three people, but doesn't apply to others who are recruited or join later

Everyone gets 'colonist', even though it's not *quite* accurate.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Lhoto

Hmm. Interesting points, didn't realize it'd already been discussed with some good depth. Learn something new every day.

ARiA1089

Quote from: puddlejumper448 on May 19, 2015, 08:54:04 PM
Have you played the game? (not trying to sound rude, its a real question) The first thing that happens in the game is you ship crashes and your colonists fall in escape pods, stranding you on the planet. You are meant, story wise, to survive until you find a way off the planet. That being said, it would be neat to see an end game that didn't involve leaving, maybe your colonists liked it on the planet and decided to stay, or maybe they were slaves and the slave ship carrying them blew up so they have to stay. Also, aliens may be a common thing in sci-fi, but there are still plenty of sci-fis without them, they aren't mutually exclusive. I personally like the absence of aliens in this game
i agree games with about 30+ alien races are way too stereo typical, a game with just humans or a game like FTL which has alien races but doesn't feel so weird
──▄▀──────────█──
──▄▀───────────█── Careful Kids, he got raided
─▄▀─█───────────█─
█──▄█────────▄──█─
─▀▀─█──█──█──█▄▀
────█──█──█▀▀
────█──█▄▄█
────█──█
────▀▄▄▀

Adamiks

Quote from: ARiA1089 on May 21, 2015, 10:10:37 AM
Quote from: puddlejumper448 on May 19, 2015, 08:54:04 PM
i agree games with about 30+ alien races are way too stereo typical, a game with just humans or a game like FTL which has alien races but doesn't feel so weird

I would like to see only 1 another race that is better in other things than humans (for example - smart, but weak aliens, with stomliver and they talking by the telepation - yea, i know. Science-woo :d).

Tynan

If new races are put in the game they'll be xenohumans or trans-animals.

Think:
-People engineered/evolved to live on super high gravity planets. In tunnels. Dorfs?
-People engineered for gladiatorial fights (super strong brutes)
-People engineered for decision-making
-Half-gorilla half-human hybrid with a gun
-And so on
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Frankenbeasley

Quote from: Tynan on May 21, 2015, 06:06:53 PM

-People engineered for gladiatorial fights (super strong brutes) Russians
-People engineered for decision-making Germans
-Half-gorilla half-human hybrid with a gun Americans

People who are abrasive psychopaths? British/Me  ;-)

You live and learn. At any rate, you live.  - Douglas Adams

Adamiks

Quote from: Tynan on May 21, 2015, 06:06:53 PM

Think:
-People engineered/evolved to live on super high gravity planets. In tunnels. Dorfs?
-People engineered for gladiatorial fights (super strong brutes)
-People engineered for decision-making
-Half-gorilla half-human hybrid with a gun
-And so on

Hmm... But why only humans or xenonhumans? "Political correctness"(some people will can say "aliens don't exist" or "aliens wouldn't look like this) or you just believe that we are alone? Just curious, ya know.
EDIT
Third option - you don't want create aliens without knowing how aliens would can look in real life?

Matthiasagreen

It is just the cannon of the Rimworld Universe. Humans have spread out and modified themselves, but there is no alien life.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Adamiks

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on May 22, 2015, 11:55:09 AM
It is just the cannon of the Rimworld Universe. Humans have spread out and modified themselves, but there is no alien life.

And there is question why, Rimworld Universe is like this (w/o aliens)?

Kegereneku

There's pretty good reasons to not add aliens :

- timescale, realistically Alien have 98% chance of being either "Apes of Angels", primitive or glitterworld/transcendent.
- Alien are unlikely to breath the same air than us
- Not being requested to add more and more type of aliens, alien vs human politic
- Keeping the psychology/health system simple.
- We can have equal game experience through genetically engineered ninja tortoise... or stuff like that.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Adamiks

Quote from: Kegereneku on May 22, 2015, 02:24:52 PM
- timescale, realistically Alien have 98% chance of being either "Apes of Angels", primitive or glitterworld/transcendent.
- Alien are unlikely to breath the same air than us
- Not being requested to add more and more type of aliens, alien vs human politic
- Keeping the psychology/health system simple.
- We can have equal game experience through genetically engineered ninja tortoise... or stuff like that.

"- timescale, realistically Alien have 98% chance of being either "Apes of Angels", primitive or glitterworld/transcendent."

Because i don't know too much words in English about numbers i will say:
Universe is big. VERY BIG.

"- Alien are unlikely to breath the same air than us"

Hmm... Do you meet some aliens? And like above - universe is big.

"- Not being requested to add more and more type of aliens, alien vs human politic
- Keeping the psychology/health system simple."

True story.

"- We can have equal game experience through genetically engineered ninja tortoise... or stuff like that."

Actually i would like to see ninja tortoise ;D