Future Resource Choices - A Poll with 100% of your RDA of Panda.

Started by Frankenbeasley, May 25, 2015, 04:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What new Resources would you like to see added to Vanilla RW?

Iron Ore
13 (28.3%)
Copper
18 (39.1%)
Ceramics
12 (26.1%)
Bricks
11 (23.9%)
Bones
19 (41.3%)
Glass
22 (47.8%)
Silk
15 (32.6%)
Hemp
16 (34.8%)
Bamboo
21 (45.7%)
Grapes
14 (30.4%)
Bears
18 (39.1%)
Ice
8 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Darkfirephoenix

Bones and Bamboo also Silk and Hemp.

Bones is pretty simple: Why not use everything from the animal (person)? Even if the corpse is fully rotten the skelleton stays there, whic would give us (finally) some use for them. Also: Bone is nice for decoration and tools.

Silk is Silk, you can't argue against that. The only problem that may arise: Silk isn't based on a plant but on a animal, maybe there are some native animals that produce silk?

Hemp is one of the more versatile plants: As already posted it can be used for a wide range of things (cloth, drugs, food)

Bamboo (or wood 2.0 if you want): It is extremely durable (makes good tools/weapons/building material), grows like crazy (1 meter per day), is edible (the young sprouts can be eaten raw) and even if you cut it off it will grow back (the base grows underground and spreads on this way). So once you have bamboo growing you can harvest it nearly daily.

Adamiks

Quote from: Darkfirephoenix on May 27, 2015, 04:03:22 PM
Bamboo (or wood 2.0 if you want): It is extremely durable (makes good tools/weapons/building material), grows like crazy (1 meter per day), is edible (the young sprouts can be eaten raw) and even if you cut it off it will grow back (the base grows underground and spreads on this way). So once you have bamboo growing you can harvest it nearly daily.

Try plant bamboo on cold biome 8)

Darkfirephoenix

Quote from: Adamiks on May 27, 2015, 04:20:55 PM
Quote from: Darkfirephoenix on May 27, 2015, 04:03:22 PM

Try plant bamboo on cold biome 8)
Aye that is a problem. But then again it is a problem that 99% of the plants have. :P
("Why is this bamboo growing even though it is -20°C out there?!" "Nanomachines... Ermmm Genetic engenieering!")

Frankenbeasley

Maybe, with fallout and ash and so on, we will see an overhaul of the resources to be more biome-specific, like the animals. Perhaps, while steel is steel and rock is rock wherever you are on the planet, and both are weather-proof over the length of the average colony, biome-specific resources will be wood, bamboo, ice, bone, straw and so on, which all have a degradation factor that can be enhanced through environmental factors. As they degrade, they become easier and easier for sappers to breach.
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.  - Douglas Adams

Vas

Ice slows speed, not make you faster.  Hard to walk and turn on ice.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Play2Jens

Iron Ore:
- I don't like the idea because the game would be too focused on a process chain. That's exactly why the concept of sawing wood into planks was removed from the game.
Copper:
- I don't see what this can be used for, except for conducts and art? If in real life a weapon would be made out of it, it would bend after you hit it a few times...
Ceramics:
- Same, only art.
Bricks:
- Isn't this kind of the same as the different kinds of stone in the game? Or do people really want to see the orangy-reddish bricks like in Minecraft?
Bones:
- Might be cool. Besides building stuff with it, it might also be cool to make things to scare off other factions.
Glass:
- Now this is what I voted for! I wanted to see glass for a long time already. In my opinion it doesn't need sand, I just imagine that colonists will take "dirt" around the glass work station and convert it into glass. There was a mod which let you build windows. I loved it. Colonies look so much more realistic with windows... Does anyone know if it's still available for a10?
Silk:
- Yeah, might be nice, but how are you going to produce it?
Hemp:
- Is it that much different from cotton? Or do people really want to see their colonists high?
Bamboo:
- Might be a cool feature in some warmer biomes. As a resource which can be grown much quicker.
Grapes:
- Toooo much alcohol :D I'm starting to think you guys forgot that we're trying to survive on this hostile planet :D
Bears:
- Bears are cool, but I feel like the game will have to many kinds of leather? Maybe categorize leather by color or type of animal?
Ice:
- Same as bamboo, might be cool as a building material. But it will deteriorate when the indoor or outdoor temperature will rise above 0 degrees. As in structures taking damage.

Adamiks

Frankenbeasley

Quote from: Vas on May 27, 2015, 06:18:30 PM
Ice slows speed, not make you faster.  Hard to walk and turn on ice.
True, except when you slide/skate. The only thing that interests me about ice is the thought of watching my peg-leggers sliding across the map before slamming into a cliff.  ;D

Quote from: Play2Jens on May 28, 2015, 04:17:20 PM
Copper:
- I don't see what this can be used for, except for conducts and art? If in real life a weapon would be made out of it, it would bend after you hit it a few times...
On the contrary, copper weapons replaced stone armaments before the use of Iron. Have a google for Copper Weapons History and you'll see clubs, maces, axes, arrowheads, spearheads, daggers, dirks, gladii, khopesh swords and more. Sure, copper isn't as strong as steel, but it's a lot more useful and durable than flint, and in the duel of flesh and cloth versus pointy copper, I know who I'd be betting on.

Bricks:
- Isn't this kind of the same as the different kinds of stone in the game? Or do people really want to see the orangy-reddish bricks like in Minecraft?
No, it's not the same. Bricks would be available in biomes without large amounts of stone. Use of bricks goes back 10,000 years, with those earliest versions being made from mud that is shaped then dried in the sun. I would hazard a guess that more buildings throughout history have been made with bricks of various types than have been made from any form of cut stone blocks.

Hemp:
- Is it that much different from cotton? Or do people really want to see their colonists high?
Well, hemp does have more than one use, unlike cotton. It's also a hardier and less demanding plant. Cotton production uses a disproportional percentage of fertilizer, herbicides, and pesticides. What's more, cotton needs a long frost-free growing season, whereas hemp has been found to grow almost anywhere.

Bears:
- Bears are cool, but I feel like the game will have to many kinds of leather? Maybe categorize leather by color or type of animal?
Colour would be a problem for categorising PANDAS! Perhaps, animal skins should simply be categorised as either Leather or Fur. Fur could be used to make higher value warm-weather clothing, Leather for more durable stuff. So, muffalo and bears would be fur, boar and deer would be leather. You could even make it so that it takes higher butchery skills to get fur than it does to get leather.
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.  - Douglas Adams