Mid Game Boredom

Started by DDog, June 03, 2015, 12:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDog

I don't know how many hundreds of hours I have played RimWorld and love every minute of it... but when I get a good number of colonists, have plenty of food, lots of money, good defenses...  I always get bored... wish there was something to keep me challenged...  not a criticism...  I'm sure the problem is me!  ::)

Play2Jens

I don't know, I kind of experience the same problem. I always aim at having every colonist's needs fulfilled and when I get there I'm satisfied. But then after a while I get bored and just hope that a raid pops up or another challenging event.

From that moment it becomes a drag from defending/attacking, recovering, rebuilding, waiting and repeat. From time to time you have to build new rooms, focus on getting ready for the next winter and installing an extra security buffer. But that's about it.

From a certain point the player doesn't really need to focus anymore on expanding the base or fulfilling needs. It would be nice if we could focus a bit more on solving different kind of events, interact more with other factions (send a diplomat or spy), send a scout to explore the world map and retrieve precious items and technologies, making decisions for your colonist's personal story and develop relations between them, ...

I'm wondering how other people and Tynan feel about this?

Listy

Set yourself a mid term goal... for example: Crafting a legendary massive gold art sculpture.

keylocke

as for me, when i've built all that i wanted to build, i usually just wait for the inevitable centipede doomstack followed by a mad dash of any survivors towards my spaceship. same thing that usually happens in similar games like dwarf fortress or gnomoria, so i can kinda relate to this.

i've played other games similar to rimworld before and i know that rimworld is just an alpha. but despite that, i think it had already achieved most of the features it has set for itself in the kickstarter and more.

----------

as for the uncharted waters, i'm also trying to think about what other stuff rimworld can expand on, here's a few of what i'm hoping gets considered :

-4X path, so players can explore and conquer the entire world map. (i like total war series and sins of a solar empire series).

-"Towns" heroes and dungeon exploration or rabbit hole exploration. since out of the many colony sims, this is what made towns relatively unique compared to others (even though it's kinda buggy and the battlesystem is crummy)

-rimworld version of the game black&white + multiplayer. (i think rimworld could excel in this far better than black&white ever did, since rimworld seems to be more streamlined for efficiency in combat and colony simulation, compared to the overly gimmicky battles in molyneux's black&white), the influence border construction restriction concept and the contested region/griefing concept was quite ingenious for it's time.

-i also enjoy sandbox games like escape velocity nova, where despite it's sandbox nature, the players can pursue (if they wish) several story arcs at any given time. this would allow rimworld to let players explore the lore by providing them with in-game events that would enhance their understanding about the origin of ancient ruins, their relationship with the other world types like glimmer world story arc events, urbworld story arcs, cave world, the universal threat of the mechs etc.. like why are the mechs attacking you? how did they find you? is there a backstory about your ship that crashed? etc.. which could provide more context to the events that are happening within the game.

andyprogrammer

I think this will improve as more events get added, starting with this next alpha. I think smarter raiders can, in theory, keep things fresh because they'll start going around your defenses.

milon

+1, More events & smart raiders FTW!

Elixiar

Bear in mind I'm sure these sort of issues will be addressed. It's pretty much just Tynan working on it so remember it will take time. I'd say alpha is alpha but steam has sort of ruined that statement.

The game probably is nowhere near finished and we can only imagine what such an awesome creator will give us in time!
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

Andy_Dandy

To me every new alpha have improved upon this. Game is getting richer and more interesting every update, and I'm sure it will continue like that.

Adamiks

Yep. For now Rimworld is a little boring. I know this is only a Alpha but without mods Rimworld isn't worth 30$ (this is still early access and only one guy is working on it, so what if Tynan will say "Fuck it"? I think the full game is worth 30$ but not Alpha), ya know you will won once and there is nothing to do.

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: Adamiks on June 04, 2015, 10:39:08 AM
Yep. For now Rimworld is a little boring. I know this is only a Alpha but without mods Rimworld isn't worth 30$ (this is still early access and only one guy is working on it, so what if Tynan will say "Fuck it"? I think the full game is worth 30$ but not Alpha), ya know you will won once and there is nothing to do.

Couldn't agree less about that it's boring. After I bought into the alpha last december I've hardly played other games. They are too boring now, compared to the fun, challenge, depth and overall grand gameplay I have with this game. But of course, there is a danger I'll find it boring someday (and need a break from it) if I keep playing it so insanly much, but thanks God, the game keeps expanding it contents. ;)

TLHeart

If you need a game to direct you towards a winning ending, then yes Rim world becomes boring.

Instead, I play with my own goal in mind, Get a colony to 30 healthy colonists, all in devilsstrand clothing.

Or build an open base, on flat land, with NO turrets, and see how long I can survive....

the list is endless, and the game does play differently with each goal. Sure, the basics are the same with each game.

And then there are the mods...

And for me $30 is very cheap, regardless of being alpha... I have paid $60 for a AAA game, and played it, learned it, beat it, and never played it again...

Rimworld has provided me with hours and hours of entertainment, and it is one of the few games, that I have to be very careful with, starting a game, if I have something else to do, that day, as I become so immersed into the game, that the world around me just does disappears  from my thoughts, and 6 or 7 hours pass, as if just minutes.

Adamiks

Quote from: TLHeart on June 04, 2015, 11:21:55 AM
And for me $30 is very cheap, regardless of being alpha... I have paid $60 for a AAA game, and played it, learned it, beat it, and never played it again...

Hmm.... For 60$ i can have Witcher 3 and remember about that Witcher is full game, Rimworld is a Alpha with one guy in team (everyone have a life). If Rimworld in Alpha costs 30$, full game will costs 60$ or more?

Listy

If you need a game to direct you towards a winning ending, then yes Rim world becomes boring.

Instead, I play with my own goal in mind, Get a colony to 30 healthy colonists, all in devilsstrand clothing.

Or build an open base, on flat land, with NO turrets, and see how long I can survive....

the list is endless, and the game does play differently with each goal. Sure, the basics are the same with each game.

And then there are the mods...

Rimworld has provided me with hours and hours of entertainment, and it is one of the few games, that I have to be very careful with, starting a game, if I have something else to do, that day, as I become so immersed into the game, that the world around me just does disappears  from my thoughts, and 6 or 7 hours pass, as if just minutes.

And Rimworld often throws something new into the mix. Only yesterday my tooled Close combat, Power armoured, Bionic monster armed with a legendary plasteel sword went beserk in the middle of the night.

That got interesting fast!

Adamiks

Quote from: Listy on June 04, 2015, 11:41:07 AM
And Rimworld often throws something new into the mix. Only yesterday my tooled Close combat, Power armoured, Bionic monster armed with a legendary plasteel sword went beserk in the middle of the night.

That got interesting fast!

Every game will be interesting if you'll do things like this ;D This is why you shouldn't make bionic monsters from psychically weak guys not psychically strong guys :P

Play2Jens

Quote from: Adamiks on June 04, 2015, 11:38:38 AM

Hmm.... For 60$ i can have Witcher 3 and remember about that Witcher is full game, Rimworld is a Alpha with one guy in team (everyone have a life). If Rimworld in Alpha costs 30$, full game will costs 60$ or more?

I guess the point is that Rimworld has a longer lifespan than the average full game, and it costs only half the price of AAA games. Besides, it runs great on my 700 € laptop. If I want to play Witcher, I would have to buy a new laptop/desktop, which would cost me a lot more money.

Point being, it would be nice to see some more development for late game. You know, things you'll do once you're completely settled with your colony.