Raiders

Started by andriusha, December 04, 2013, 08:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omni

Quote from: owenkberg on December 09, 2013, 06:36:12 PM
Quote from: murhe on December 08, 2013, 10:48:26 AM
- Raider groups might fight each others in addition to player and by taking casualties they might lose strenght. Weakened bandits may send less and wounded raiders.

In my opinion this is a must-have feature. It makes no sense that random groups of raiders would band together or just flat-out ignore each other whilst attempting to destroy your base. The fact that raiders have absolutely no other AI interaction besides murdering you really bugs me.
Storyteller sends raider group after you. Raider group ends up being too effective, you won't last long. Storyteller sends a second raider group that pins down the first raiders at your doorstep, with heavy casualties on both sides, enough that you can defend yourself from there. Storyteller gives you a thumbs up and your epic space colony story continues. :)

Who knows, maybe the second raider group would actually fail to defeat the better fortified raider group that is utilizing your fortifications, but the first group would end up with a serious morale penalty from the completely unexpected attack and casualties from it. Being pinned between two enemies isn't a very comfortable place, and at that point their original attack plan is probably FUBAR.

murhe

My original idea was that raiders "fight" eachother offscreen most of time. Like random event never told to player. There just appears less and wounded raiders than usually. It is very fun to see them killing eachother if that happens rarely. Well, they might ally together also very rarely. "Oh, this is once again old raider gangs kill eachother event. What?!? Are both gangs going to attack me?"

Btw. I have got too big piles of weapons so I have wondered if they could be used up. Each time you fire a weapon there could be change it loses a bit of durability and eventually breaks. What you think about this idea?

Omni

Quote from: murhe on December 10, 2013, 12:36:21 PMBtw. I have got too big piles of weapons so I have wondered if they could be used up. Each time you fire a weapon there could be change it loses a bit of durability and eventually breaks. What you think about this idea?
Well, personally, I think that would have frustrating implications. If you ever found a weapon you really loved, you'd know you'd only have it for a short while before it snaps. Currently, getting a good gun means having it forever, and that's a satisfying feeling. While needing to perform maintenance on weapons to keep them working properly would probably fit the atmosphere of the game, which could involve scrapping other weapons for components, weapons breaking is always a risky business.

On the other hand, if the weapon could break but still be around and just need repair, the extra effort to keep your best gun working might make it feel even more valuable. Something like that might actually be better managed by the storyteller. In order to mix things up, the storyteller might cause a particular weapon, possibly your best one, to have a mechanical failure and need specific attention to get it working again.

Another possibility would be dust storms, where firing your weapons outside or near an opening would risk dust causing your weapon to stop functioning. That would be another thing I would think the storyteller should have specific oversight of. Guns getting dust in their mechanisms at the wrong moments could be very dramatic. And, like above, the weapon would need to be taken aside and paid specific attention to, repaired, before being usable again.

As for your current situation, if I were you, I'd be selling my excess guns to the passing traders.

...also, if we start seeing dust storms, give me an AK-47. Even if other weapons get jammed and unusable, that thing will never stop working. They are legendary for their reliability and ease of maintenance. It would be interesting if some weapons in the game were more prone to becoming nonfunctional in a dust storm than others; it might even cause you to switch out your best weapons for reliable ones for the duration of the dust storm. The AK-47 loses a bit of accuracy for its reliable design, but that's an easy trade in harsh battlefield conditions. Won't matter how accurate your gun is if it can't fire.

ShadowDragon8685

Raiders need some sanity-checking.

Specifically, if over 400 raiders have come to this place and died without so much as one raider escaping with any loot and precious few raiders even escaping with their lives, they should probably be unwilling to even try attacking this place, because clearly the locals are more heavily-armed and place even less value on raider's lives than raiders do themselves.

Raiders simply aren't threatening to a self-sufficient walled city. If our walls were like, actual fortification walls (IE, not made of flammable materials and not something a lone guy can beat down in a few minutes,) they'd be literally no hassle at all.

That's why real raiders of this type (IE, vikings,) preferred to raid undefended, unwalled civilian settlements, and they liked to do so on Sunday mornings when everybody was at church rather than ready to take up arms.

What raiders can do, on the other hand, is hang around. If you're not willing to come out and fight them (a dicey proposition,) or pay them off, they'll stick around for a week or so, and while they're there, no traders can/will arrive. Those that are already in orbit will hang around a small amount of time for you to get a person near a comm station to it and finish some  last-minute business, say 4 hours, but then they'll leave.

Alternatively, you can pay the raiders off with cash, metal, or whatever, and they'll just leave. Or you can wait them out - they'll bugger off when they start to starve after realizing you're not coming out and there's no way in hell they're getting in.
Raiders must die!

Kender

QuoteWhat raiders can do, on the other hand, is hang around. If you're not willing to come out and fight them (a dicey proposition,) or pay them off, they'll stick around for a week or so, and while they're there, no traders can/will arrive. Those that are already in orbit will hang around a small amount of time for you to get a person near a comm station to it and finish some  last-minute business, say 4 hours, but then they'll leave.

Humm... blockade.

QuoteSpecifically, if over 400 raiders have come to this place and died without so much as one raider escaping...

Maybe the 'Raider Headquarters' just trying to send group after group to investigate what the hell happen to the last group, why no one made their way back. XD
Rogue, from Kendermoore of Dragonlance.

owenkberg

Quote from: murhe on December 10, 2013, 12:36:21 PM
Btw. I have got too big piles of weapons so I have wondered if they could be used up. Each time you fire a weapon there could be change it loses a bit of durability and eventually breaks. What you think about this idea?

I feel like this would cause an awful lot of micromanage, which would become impossible later game. Maybe a better idea on that front would be some sort of weaponsmith, who can repair and optimize weapons so that you can set it as a job and repairs, ammo fillings etc. are entirely automated, provided you have the resources.

palandus

Well there is the whole "Crafting" skill that hasn't been implemented yet. Its possible that we may need to repair weapons (as they actually do have a life-bar), craft new weapons and possibly craft ammunition.

If the durability idea was to take off, its already kind of in place. All you'd need to do is make it so that firing the weapon slowly depletes its HP bar and at different intervals (ie 75%, 50%, 25%, 0%) the weapon becomes more inaccurate and does less damage.