[Exploit] How to destroy a crashed ship part... with wooden beds!

Started by RickyMartini, June 15, 2015, 08:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickyMartini

That's what traps were made for! *Evil laugh*

Funnily, this is almost the only way I use the incendiary traps. The IED bomb is sometimes used for sappers and the deadfall traps are the most frequently used.
But nothing is more satisfying then to use the incendiary trap as a trigger to cook up some mechs.  8)

EscapeZeppelin

Adamiks

Why Skissor?! Now Tynan will fix this in next Alpha!

Just joke :D

Tynan should fix these walls.

nmid

I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ

Dakkanor

how big does the area need to be? i have tried cooking the mechs alive several times, but they always seem to spawn outside any building i can manage to build

RickyMartini

Unfortunately it will not work in the later game. When more than ~20 mechanoids come out of it, some also spawn 2 tiles away from the ship and get pushed outside of the "trap".

But it will still easily cook up dozens of mechs for a nice stew.

TLHeart

Have to be sure and leave open tiles for the mechs to spawn... and at times you will get unlucky and they will spawn at the attack point, right on top of your attacker. 

RickyMartini

Quote from: TLHeart on June 15, 2015, 11:09:00 AM
Have to be sure and leave open tiles for the mechs to spawn... and at times you will get unlucky and they will spawn at the attack point, right on top of your attacker.

Yes exactly! You could construct the walls farther away. But the attack point always has to be right beside it. And when more than 22 mechanoids spawn, it is inevitable that at least 1 will spawn outside.

TLHeart

Quote from: Skissor on June 15, 2015, 11:14:48 AM

Yes exactly! You could construct the walls farther away. But the attack point always has to be right beside it. And when more than 22 mechanoids spawn, it is inevitable that at least 1 will spawn outside.

I have had a centipede spawn right on top of my attacker, and that was with only 8 total spawning... It appears the mechs will not spawn on top of IED's, and I had surrounded the ship with explosives, except for the 1 incendiary, to light the beds. This forced them to spawn into the second tile out, and I had a wandering centipede  to kill....  Did not work as I wanted it to, as the IED's did bring the ship down below 50%, and those trapped inside started attacking the walls....

colonists on outside doing repairs, mechs with heatstroke trying to break out...a great day.

nmid

Quote from: Skissor on June 15, 2015, 11:14:48 AM

OR...
sacrifice one colonist with a dead-man switch.

/evil
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ

RickyMartini

@TLHearth

Yes, one way to try to prevent that would be to place something under the colonist. Like a chair like in my video. :)

_alphaBeta_

I imagine you could build a regular sized room around the ship and avoid having one of the wall corners be close enough to melee the ship. This could theoretically be accomplished with a well placed mortar strike from back in your base, which should go through the roof with the current implementation.

I wouldn't spend too much time, since I doubt this exploit will be around for very long. As we discussed during testing, I still feel the best way to handle this would be for mechanoids to come out of the ship when potential threats (like colonists) are detected in close proximity. This would thwart attempts to mine the area, build rooms around the ship, etc.

TLHeart

Quote from: Skissor on June 15, 2015, 11:43:01 AM
@TLHearth

Yes, one way to try to prevent that would be to place something under the colonist. Like a chair like in my video. :)

I never noticed the chair under your attacker... thanks

nmid

Quote from: TLHeart on June 15, 2015, 01:05:10 PM
Quote from: Skissor on June 15, 2015, 11:43:01 AM
@TLHearth

I never noticed the chair under your attacker... thanks

I noticed, didn't realise the significance of it.
Good 2nd post!

milon

*ahem*
Quote from: milon on April 21, 2015, 02:54:30 PM
I refer you to the Crashed Ship Part Destroyer.  You're welcome.

Should be easily expandable to accommodate any number of mechs that will spawn.