Spaceship Construction

Started by owenkberg, December 06, 2013, 10:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owenkberg

So I'm sure the idea is floating around somewhere, but I couldn't find anything directly related to it.

Anyways, I've been thinking it would be cool to be able to advance technology to the point of rebuilding a ship. Fairly late game, and after acquiring a large number of resources and tech upgrades, launching into a slightly different mode of play could be quite interesting. The outlay could be the same, construction-wise, building outwards with individual blocks or maybe even adding a feature to lay down blueprints for entire rooms. (Another idea is to individualize your own room blueprints, ex. a prison cell, and save it to quickly place several of them later.)

This could add a lot of depth to the game later on, with tense space battles in the midst of turret spray and boarding colonists. Trades and negotiations can become more personal, and even allow for a multiplayer mechanic.

The text after being defeated also suggests an interesting concept.
"Perhaps someone else will find a use for the ruins of this place."
With ships, it could be possible for a player to upload the map from a failed colony of theirs, and for other players to download and land on the planet. In this way, one could reuse and revive the dead civilization, and begin their own in its place. Having bases on several planets and expanding things such as trade routes could add enjoyable, though indirect player interaction and improve overall strategy.

Semmy

Building a spaceship is actually what the endgame should be (-:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Galileus

It sounds great on paper. Unfortunately, games that do that more often than not end up with cries of "why didn't you stick to what you was doing right, game!?". Building a ship? Yeah, sure. Building a ship part by part, space battles, multiple bases, boardings, trade routes...? I'm afraid instead of increasing the depth, it would rob the game of it. After all it's hard to expect Ty to make three games at the same time, right?

Semmy

It has been his plan for a while so just like the rest that he tought through and made the game into what it is now have a little faith in it.

And imagine the depth it can create.
Having to defend the spaceship you are building outside
Having different tougher raiding groups coming in to haul your spaceshipparts away.
Going out on expeditions getting stuff
etc etc
Edmund Burke

Galileus

Semmy - again - read my post ;) Building on ground, like in phases? Sure, sounds great. Space battles, going to different planets (on purpose, not in new game + style :P), making trade routes... this is all way off the scope of the game. It's Spore's syndrome - if game tries to tie too many parts and different gameplays into it, it's only reasonable to expect each part to be mediocre. And getting a game that is more than sum of it parts... well, that's a whole different story, and it needs to start at the whiteboard ;)

Semmy

You arent going to other planets and doing space battles.

building a spaceship is the "end"game.
Like defeating the last boss.

I am on my mobile now else i would try and find the post from tynan explaining it (-:
Edmund Burke

todofwar

Quote from: Semmy on December 07, 2013, 08:07:25 AM
You arent going to other planets and doing space battles.

building a spaceship is the "end"game.
Like defeating the last boss.

I am on my mobile now else i would try and find the post from tynan explaining it (-:

I think he is talking about what the OP suggested, not what has been suggested in the past. Anyway, I agree. Building a spaceship as an endgame is all fine and dandy, but then going on space voyages would take away from the scope. That being said, once RW is all nice and wrapped up revisiting the spaceship prototype as an expansion could be pretty neat, where getting off the planet leads to a new game of space exploration trying to get home, with the possibility or high likelihood of crashing on a planet again.

Galileus

Quote from: todofwar on December 07, 2013, 08:19:03 AMI think he is talking about what the OP suggested, not what has been suggested in the past.

THANK YOU! :P

owenkberg

The only thing that is required for having several bases is the saving of a map... That's already in game. It requires no new functionality besides some text. Most games like this allow for uploading of maps, which is simple, since they are individual files that are always compatible. All I mean by trade routes are separate statistics for these bases. For example, different trade ships would be passing different maps independently of each other, as they already do. The vision that came to your head doesn't seem to be the same as what I intended, and I apologize. I didn't mean for an over-complex system. Simply integration of already existing mechanics (such as the simplicity of the magic "save" button) into slightly more complex simulations.

For a ship, I simply saw it as another map of it's own. Construction would still exist on the grid it currently does, but building would be limited to what you could reach. Raids could simply be new entities (even single "ships" that have similar AI to raiders and would just require some new art and a bit of AI tweaking) Nothing I've suggested was meant to be extremely in depth. The systems could work with what the game already has.

Galileus

That's exactly what I was talking about. Why add a spaceship map/gameplay thingy if it's gonna be extremely shallow?

todofwar

Quote from: owenkberg on December 07, 2013, 11:31:29 AM
The only thing that is required for having several bases is the saving of a map... That's already in game. It requires no new functionality besides some text. Most games like this allow for uploading of maps, which is simple, since they are individual files that are always compatible. All I mean by trade routes are separate statistics for these bases. For example, different trade ships would be passing different maps independently of each other, as they already do. The vision that came to your head doesn't seem to be the same as what I intended, and I apologize. I didn't mean for an over-complex system. Simply integration of already existing mechanics (such as the simplicity of the magic "save" button) into slightly more complex simulations.

For a ship, I simply saw it as another map of it's own. Construction would still exist on the grid it currently does, but building would be limited to what you could reach. Raids could simply be new entities (even single "ships" that have similar AI to raiders and would just require some new art and a bit of AI tweaking) Nothing I've suggested was meant to be extremely in depth. The systems could work with what the game already has.

One of the prototypes had all that, Tynan moved away from it. I think it could make a good expansion, but not high priority.

DaveStrider

This idea reminds me of spore, in that it's several completely different games at once. With spore, each of the games was pretty mediocre, and i doubt that it would work very well

apljee

I like it, unlike most others- also, the point of having a spaceship to travel around in instead of making new worlds is that you can transport colonists and resources (I'd assume) to other worlds when they're in need. And in the event of war, maybe a use for Missiles with a missile strike? :D

owenkberg

Quote from: apljee on December 07, 2013, 07:25:16 PM
I like it, unlike most others- also, the point of having a spaceship to travel around in instead of making new worlds is that you can transport colonists and resources (I'd assume) to other worlds when they're in need. And in the event of war, maybe a use for Missiles with a missile strike? :D

Yeah, I feel like it could add some nice strategy. =P
I also agree that this wouldn't be anything high priority. I strongly believe this could make a great expansion/official mod later in the life of RimWorld, though.
Anyhow, I understand everyone's points. I just have an insatiable lust for space travel, I suppose. =P