UI Freeze Issue

Started by palandus, December 14, 2013, 12:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

palandus

Now normally I'm unsure of how you'd get this to work, but whenever a colonist reaches either 20 in Melee or 20 in Shooting, clicking on them will cause the UI to freeze, forcing you to ALT TAB and close the process.

I say normally unsure, as I modified XP rates and needed xp for levels via modding, and if I set max skills to 19, a colonist can reach it with Shooting and Melee without having any troubles. It may be a matter of the modding process, but as I've modded about 200+ entries in the .dll file I'm unsure if its an actual problem or not. Particularly as its currently next to impossible to get to 20 Shooting/Melee normally.

All other skills can reach 20 no problem. In fact, they can reach level 100 no problem (if you modify the level cap), but not shooting or melee.

As I said, as I'm playing a modded game, I'm unsure if its something I simply did wrong OR if its an actual issue. I felt I might as well report it in case it IS an actual issue.

I'm running Build 254 on Windows 7 64bit. I've tested it multiple times and its always at LV 20 Shooting or Melee that creates the UI freeze. Attempted it 5-7 times to see if I could reproduce the problem and each time at LV 20 Shooting / Melee, the UI freezes.

Tynan

Quote from: palandus on December 14, 2013, 12:52:18 AM
Now normally I'm unsure of how you'd get this to work, but whenever a colonist reaches either 20 in Melee or 20 in Shooting, clicking on them will cause the UI to freeze, forcing you to ALT TAB and close the process.

I say normally unsure, as I modified XP rates and needed xp for levels via modding, and if I set max skills to 19, a colonist can reach it with Shooting and Melee without having any troubles. It may be a matter of the modding process, but as I've modded about 200+ entries in the .dll file I'm unsure if its an actual problem or not. Particularly as its currently next to impossible to get to 20 Shooting/Melee normally.

All other skills can reach 20 no problem. In fact, they can reach level 100 no problem (if you modify the level cap), but not shooting or melee.

As I said, as I'm playing a modded game, I'm unsure if its something I simply did wrong OR if its an actual issue. I felt I might as well report it in case it IS an actual issue.

I'm running Build 254 on Windows 7 64bit. I've tested it multiple times and its always at LV 20 Shooting or Melee that creates the UI freeze. Attempted it 5-7 times to see if I could reproduce the problem and each time at LV 20 Shooting / Melee, the UI freezes.

This could be a real bug. It's possible something in the hit chance calculations is having an infinite loop at skill 20. Does it happen on unmodded versions or only with a modded version that passes level 20?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

palandus

Well, I've taken a look at the hit chances, and I can confirm that there is a value for level 20, AND it doesn't produce a value for shooting (LV 20= 0.3% miss / square) that is negative OR a value for melee (LV 20 = 98% hit) that is above 100%.

I'll see if I can datamine anything else and see if there may be something I'm missing. By all accounts it should work, but for some reason it doesn't like LV 20 Shooting or Melee modded. If I leave it at LV 19 for all skills, I can play for however long as I like without crashing or freezes. It baffles me.

Well, I'll keep looking and I'll get back to you if I find anything.

Tynan

I just tested this by naturally leveling the character; it works fine. Not a real bug - this is something caused by modding.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

palandus