Brainstorm: Buildable Future Content

Started by AspenShadow, October 07, 2013, 10:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miah999

Here's my list, consider duplicate ideas a "second" to that idea.

Ranching and Farming:
Different Size Growing areas - Larger and smaller.
Fencing - Keeps animals out of growing areas.
Ranch Fencing - Allows you to keep Muffalo in a confined area. (For when they can used for meat.)
Note: fences could also slow raiders.
Feed Trough: Lets you feed your Muffalo.

Interior improvements:
Interior walls - Cheaper, prettier walls, that are only used in a completed "room" to separate out smaller spaces, like multiple bedrooms and bathrooms.
Interior door - Doors for interior walls.
Ultrasonic Shower - Removes carried filth. Will improve hygiene (if implemented) and happiness.
Chemical Toilets - I find it weird my colonist never poop.
Holo-Game Table - Entertainment device.

If we get relationships:
Double Bed - For colonists that start to pair up.
Sofa - Mostly for looks but couples could sit together.

If we get water:
Water Tower - Holds water for later.
Water pump - Pumps water from source (stream, lake, river, aquifer, etc.).
Water Filter - Prevents waterborne disease events (must be researched).
Sewer Treatment Plant - Recycles waste water for reuse.
Flush Toilets - Because by the time you research all these water tech your colonist will really have to go.
Real Showers - Like the sonic ones, but cheaper, and use water instead of electricity.
Swimming Pools - Because my colonists are all Lordling wannabes.

Utilities:
Wind Turbine - Generates power from wind.
Nuclear Reactor - Generates power from Uranium.
Large Battery - Self-explanatory.
Power Switch - Lets you control the flow of power through a conduit.
Diode - Makes a power conduit one way. This is useful for emergency battery banks for turrets etc.

Defenses:
Barbwire - Slows raiders, and does some HP damage when crossed.
Fortified Walls - Thicker heavier walls, more expensive, but double the HP.
Fortified Doors - To go with the walls above.
Spiked Walls - Walls with spikes poking out of them, can only be destroyed with ranged weapons.

I'm sure I can think of more, but this is enough for now.

AspenShadow

Very nice additions  :)

A lot of them depend on future advances ofc, but some of them I've yet to see mentioned anywhere on the forums.

miah999

A few more thoughts... Just as before, repeats equal "seconded."

Storage:
Large and Small Stockpiles - Stockpiles in 3x3 and 9x9 sizes.
Munitions Dump - Like a Stockpile for guns.

Lighting:
Spot Light - Shines a cone of light in a single direction for a long distance, great for tunnels or your perimeter.
In-Line Light - This light is installed inline with a power conduit like so ---O---, takes up less space the a standing lamp next to a conduit.
Lighted Wall - A wall panel that provides light. Might be a bit complicated though.

Interior:
Tile Floor - Traditional ceramic tile flooring, very pretty.
Small Table (or desk) - A 1x3 table, mostly for looks.
Compact Com System - A 1x3 com system.

Food:
Tasty Nutrient Paste Dispenser - Makes yummy yummy paste, mmm paste.
Compact Paste Dispenser - A NPD that is only 3x2 tiles, also available in a yummy version.

If we get cooking:
Stove - For cooking.
Refrigerator - For food storage.

Security:
Electric Fence: Does major damage to anyone who tries to cross it.
Laser Security Grid: Enemies / Animals that cross it are set on fire. (Not sure how you'd build it, I'd think you'd build a device at each end, and the lasers would beam between them.)

I've mentioned this elsewhere:
The Molecular Recycler - Colonist put in guns or debris, and get metal out. Or they put in corpses and dead animals and get food out.

May have more later.

Discotehk

Quote from: miah999 on October 21, 2013, 02:37:33 PM

Security:
Electric Fence: Does major damage to anyone who tries to cross it.
Laser Security Grid: Enemies / Animals that cross it are set on fire. (Not sure how you'd build it, I'd think you'd build a device at each end, and the lasers would beam between them.)

Heh I had the same idea, except with an optional upgrade of Tesla posts for the electric fence which will zap anything that happens to wander within say 3 squares. Additionally a complimentary item could be Farraday suits which would allow your colonists to survive getting zapped by the fence without having to turn it off.

dogboy357

Maybe adding in a few cooking/farming buildings, such as a windmill. For power, you could add in lightning rods for harvesting energy from lightning strikes near it, or a watermill if rivers are to be added (for continuous power, like the geothermal gyser.). For comfort (such as carpets) you could add in air conditioners/heaters. For disposing of unwanted bodies, maybe add a pyre/bonfire that may or may not spread fire (chance that the fire burns out of hand), but will slowly burn up corpses.

I'm too lazy to look through the 2000+ posts in the suggestions section to see if any of these have been mentioned yet...

British

Quote from: dogboy357 on October 31, 2013, 01:59:32 AM
I'm too lazy to look through the 2000+ posts in the suggestions section to see if any of these have been mentioned yet...
The level of laziness required to use the Search function is much lower, though, you should give it a try :P

AspenShadow

Quote from: British on October 31, 2013, 06:02:20 AM
The level of laziness required to use the Search function is much lower, though, you should give it a try :P

Lol this is quickly starting to become your signature, poor British :P
Someday they will discover the function, tbh I didn't notice it at all until my third day in the forums I only avoided stepping on toes because I read through everything and it was much less crowded back then.

Jimbob

Shooting range: Hones the skills of those with guns when used by them.
Colored lights: Purely aesthetic, or could influence colonists' mood. Heck, they could even change color.

I'll think of something else later.

Jimbob

Disco Ball: Induces a euphoric state on your space cowboys.
Barbed Wire: Cuts the clothes of those who cross them. Would provide a little cover.

Clint

I know this has already been suggested, but I'd like to see more power generators first, before anything too fancy.
A nuclear reactor to make use of the Uranium item already ingame would be perfect.

On the more fancy and outlandish side of things:
I'd also like to see some sort of computer complex, "Main computer" or "AI base controller" however you want to phrase it.
Basically it would be a building that would let you set generic settings for your base e.g:

"Lock all doors"       Toggle on/off
Useful to stop escape attempts or perhaps to trap incoming raiders in specially designed chokepoints without having to let them smash their way in.

"Lights"                  Toggle on/off (with option to have them turn off only when room is empty)
Would be mostly aesthetic (or to find out which of your colonists suffer from epilepsy) but having an option to have the computer only have lights on in rooms that are being used would save on power.

"Defenses"             Toggle on/off
Would no longer be able to double click and select all turrets manually, instead you either have to turn them on/off using a colonist or install this main computer to control them all simultaniously, adds a degree of difficulty in early game.

I'm sure we could think of other uses for a central computer and it would be a nice RP room for the base to have as well, perhaps you could put your comms console in there and have a sort of command room.

Calistyn

I would really like to second double doors. More than anything else, I'd love double doors. Likewise the various lighting improvements such as inline or wall lights.

My own ideas:

Campfires and tents (with sleeping bags in them, presumably). Especially for the beginning. I feel like that would be an acceptable 'mid-point' between sleeping on the ground in the darkness, and sleeping in a proper bed in a bunker, with an always on floor lamp.

Bow and arrow, and crossbows. We have differing levels of civilization, why not?

ZyChrome

have a computer set to control the power to items in events like:

• -on a timer every so often to switch
  • -power shortage conservation plans
  • -presence of people

shaunxD

How about a boomrat cage so instead of shooting them and risking damaging nearby buildings or growing areas you can trap them and move them outside of your base and for fun how about arming the cage to kill the boomrat when raiders get within damaging distance also how about a rock grinder so you don't have to spam dump areas but the down side to it is it produces alot of dirt and uses maybe 900+ energy and how about decreasing the amount of energy the sun lamp use's because 800 is a tad bit excessive.

Coenmcj

Everyone is asking for new and improved stuff that changes what living in the colonies means. Meanwhile I want the game to work so it's not a big TD, it seems everyone just sets up killboxes or long, long, long tunnels for your snipers to shoot raider skeet which come in ever increasing waves. Perhaps some alternatives to defense and wanton destruction?
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Galileus

Quote from: Coenmcj on December 30, 2013, 11:21:34 PM
Everyone is asking for new and improved stuff that changes what living in the colonies means. Meanwhile I want the game to work so it's not a big TD, it seems everyone just sets up killboxes or long, long, long tunnels for your snipers to shoot raider skeet which come in ever increasing waves. Perhaps some alternatives to defense and wanton destruction?

Amen, brother!