REALLY NEED MINIMAP!!!

Started by caesius, July 18, 2015, 06:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caesius

hey Tynan. haven't you played starcraft? MINIMAP IS VITAL FUNCTION. add it quickly!!!

Kraehe

Mr.Cross

How would a minimap help at all on a small map such as these? Please enlighten me.
Claims to know most things.

A Friend

Doubt it'll provide much help really. Just scroll out, pawns are very visible with their name tags.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

caesius

Quote from: Mr.Cross on July 18, 2015, 08:58:36 AM
How would a minimap help at all on a small map such as these? Please enlighten me.

ofcourse you dont need minimap ha!
you can just look around by manually. and it takes time
with minimap (which show you enemies and your pawn, perhaps animals), you can judge entire map situation directly.

and rimworld maps are not so small.

leax256

Quote from: Kraehe on July 18, 2015, 07:47:23 AM
Hi Captain Capslock
this same guy made another post with a lot of caps like this,

on topic now,
I really don't think it'd add much to the game and would be more of a hassle and get in the way all the time

Songleaves

I also come from an RTS background and I think a minimap would be really useful. I could keep an eye out on raiders and their progress towards my base as well as see if any colonists are wandering towards them. I could also keep an eye out for any herd wandering onto the screen, and I wouldn't have to zoom out to find my base every time an event jumps me elsewhere onto the map. Probably most useful though would be the ability to just click on the minimap and jump to those areas immediately without having to slowly scroll to them.

Mkok

+1 for minimap, but make it accesible only from tactical table, which you have to build first.

Toggle

Honestly, the rimworld map is pretty small. I get the use of a minimap, but it wouldn't fit in.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Johnny Masters

There's a reason minimaps are featured in... most of the games: It's helpful to the player.

People can overanalyze however they want, but at the end of the day having a minimap would be a good thing, and it wouldn't make rimworld less "pure", or whatever it is people think when they see a feature they associate with something else or why they think it would be bad to have a map.

Make it toggle-able. Don't want it? Turn it off. But i bet even the people who say no to minimap would have it set it to on.

Also, saving and loading locations would be very helpful aswell (like saving units, except for a location).

A Friend

I'm have no knowledge of coding and other stuff whatsoever. I have no idea how hard this would be to implement. My dumb opinion:

Is it worth the effort to put this in, when an alternative of simply zooming out to check clearly visible names is possible?
Feel free to correct me.

Also if you're map is sort of big, you can hold shift to move the screen faster.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

MrWiggles

It really hard to answer how easy or hard it would be. This isn't because of lack of programming knowledge, because of how it can be internally structured could make this feature trivial or none trivial.

Toggle

Quote from: Johnny Masters on July 19, 2015, 11:21:58 PM
Also, saving and loading locations would be very helpful aswell (like saving units, except for a location).

What do you mean by "saving and loading locations"? Like explain in detail what these would be.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

MrWiggles

I think they mean control groups.

Segrog

The mini-map would be so small it wouldn't help.