Interrupted digsites

Started by unifex, July 20, 2015, 10:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unifex

I'm a tad too lazy to search for it, but one thing that I find very frustrating is digging into a mountain and having my complex plans interrupted with a newly discovered 'area'.

I don't know the answer to it, but it's annoying to me, after you spend a bit of time setting up the chambers you want etc, and then have it pulled out from under your feet with an internal lake or gap etc.

And more z-levels. C'mon, its not that hard.

Devon_v

Those void spaces are there at map generation. They don't spawn, you just find them. The game hides them the same as it hides the contents of the ancient ruins. You can use dev mode to reveal the map if you want to know where they are.

Z levels will change the game more than you might realize. Things get a lot more complicated when you have to switch between multiple elevations to keep track of what all of your people are doing.

Kaballah

If this bugs you a lot, you can turn on dev mode and uncheck "Draw Fog" in the View menu (it looks like a magnifying glass) when you embark, and see the whole map revealed.  Then when you get a map you like, re-check it (you need to unpause a little bit to make it work correctly I think).

Toggle

Quote from: unifex on July 20, 2015, 10:23:34 AM
I'm honestly pissed at that comment. Yes, it is, and no, we're not getting z-levels, we're extremely likely to never get them. "C'mon, it's not that hard" it changes the entire bloody game.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on July 20, 2015, 02:26:23 PM
I'm honestly pissed at that comment. Yes, it is, and no, we're not getting z-levels, we're extremely likely to never get them. "C'mon, it's not that hard" it changes the entire bloody game.
I agree. And not even because that's what she said. BADUMTSH
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

hairlessOrphan

From one programmer to another - and that's definitely what you are, right? Because if you're not, then it's hard to imagine the level of ignorance and lack of self-awareness it would take to make this kind of proclamation - it actually is that hard.

Not just in terms of the content and balance, which are solvable problems and not programming related. But in terms of actual programming. New algorithms for roof detection, growing areas, light levels, prison security, "closed" rooms, accuracy and cover calculations, not to mention map generation, resource generation, and then things like falling damage, "forced" (i.e. gravity-propelled) pathing vs. intentional pathing, etc...

List gets long. It's that hard.

Coenmcj

Not to mention the calculations with the roofs/supports, and how they operate.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite