Multiple maps

Started by Hypolite, October 07, 2013, 10:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hypolite

Right now in RimWorld everything happens in a 200x200 squares area. Expanding that area would prevent older computers to run it smoothly. A solution would be inter-connected maps via their borders with a transition zone, Fallout-style for example.

The benefits are multiple:
- Allows extending the main base to exploit a specific resource
- Create pre-defined maps of raider's bases, creature's lairs, etc... that colonists could attack
- Load a single 200x200 square area in memory at any single time

British

Yes, but then we'd have to have the game to cache each area for quick-switching, or because we have colonists spreaded over those areas, or because there's an event happening in a non-active area, or...
Even with that cache, it would have to load very fast or it will be a PITA.

Hypolite

Sure, but since Multithreading is a no-go, it would be a rather simple workaround to expand available real estate.

AspenShadow

I had been wondering about this myself, we've already discussed the notion that the 200x200 map is just a 'sector' of the Rimworld you're on and it'd be nice to move off; currently rolled around as an option for New Game+ Mode of sorts.

The idea is sound, but I'm not sure how feasible it would be to implement into the game or how natural such interaction would be on the player.
If it keeps 200x200 map in memory alone at once then wouldn't we have issue with progression of time and events in other sectors? A secondary AI would have to be created to manage it wouldn't it?

And of course there'd have to be some limit such as 3x3/4x4 (n=sector)? And it raises the question of whether the biome persists all throughout the neighbouring sectors or it changes?

I'd prefer it to mostly stay within the biome chosen at the beginning, but the wider the area the less realistic the fact it's all desert and canyons becomes.   (Yes, I'm aware the only current biome in the Alpha is Default-Desert)

CommieKazie

Project Zomboid has created an interesting system that allows a streaming environment.  So when you run off of one edge it doesn't load a whole 200x200 block (for example).  It keeps the player at the center and loads around you.
Granted there's one PC, and you have no control of NPC allowing their actions to be extrapolated up into the 'metagame' in PZ.  In RM you don't necessarily want the AI controlling all that goes on while you're exploring.

But I agree that 200x200 seems to be too small for all of the potential this game holds.  Whether optimization or some system comes about there's benefit to larger maps.

Spike

No idea how hard-set the map size is, but maybe having a New Game option for different sized maps?  Quite a few games do that kind of thing, I think.

AspenShadow

Quote from: Spike on October 07, 2013, 11:26:35 AM
No idea how hard-set the map size is, but maybe having a New Game option for different sized maps?  Quite a few games do that kind of thing, I think.

I'd thought about it as well; having a pretty high-end computer, but the optional sizes was pretty much a given for this type of game I think. It's just going to be a while into the Alpha that emerges though I think, it shouldn't be much of an adjustment to incorporate.

CommieKazie

Quote from: Spike on October 07, 2013, 11:26:35 AM

I believe that will be an option.  Tynan said it can run up to 250x250, but that gets iffy.  Maybe there'll be an option later on after optimization and streamlining.

An idea to 'enlarge' the game world without changing the map-size could be to send out 'search parties'.  You'd pick some people and equip them, they'd go off the map with guns and packs and come back at the end of the day?  Or maybe a few days later depending on how far you've already searched that way, and how far you want them to go. 
     They would come back with resources (New plant species you can grow hydroponically, maybe food/metal supplies.  When artifacts get implemented they can come back with those.  Maybe weapons/survivors/etc...  Depending on how they search went (numbers in the computer) they may not all come back, or have wounded.  You could have the option to choose how many risks you want to take which would have a risk/reward sort of calculation.  Maybe they find another colony, or a pirate outpost.
     If they find more people you could then engage in trading operations, or attack.  You'd manage the few people that stayed behind to make sure no one raided you.  This would also create a deeper story-telling possibility.  If some of your colonists aren't happy with the direction it's taking, maybe they go to the neighboring colony (an option in addition to depression or going crazy).
     And for a new game+ mode, you could choose an area that your colonists have explored.  If they come back telling of a land flowing with milk and honey you can send some colonists to go check it out.  The colony you originally made will exist in the computer's mind, and you can trade with them and hear how they're doing.  (This seems more likely than the other new-game+ mode I've heard people kicking around, which is "You make a spaceship and then it crashes again".  RimWorldâ€"A Series of Unfortunate Events edition?)

Spike

Quote from: CommieKazie on October 07, 2013, 11:39:58 AM
     An idea to 'enlarge' the game world without changing the map-size could be to send out 'search parties'.  You'd pick some people and equip them, they'd go off the map with guns and packs and come back at the end of the day?  Or maybe a few days later depending on how far you've already searched that way, and how far you want them to go. 
     They would come back with resources (New plant species you can grow hydroponically, maybe food/metal supplies.  When artifacts get implemented they can come back with those.  Maybe weapons/survivors/etc...  Depending on how they search went (numbers in the computer) they may not all come back, or have wounded.  You could have the option to choose how many risks you want to take which would have a risk/reward sort of calculation.  Maybe they find another colony, or a pirate outpost.

I like this idea!  You trade having fewer people to do the work at your colony, for the chance to find something new.  Or to bring back more trouble.  :P

thekillergreece

I would love the game lets you choose map's size. As they always help your PC Processor, preventing lags.Just like PA.

Hypolite

The problem with increasing the map size, it's that it takes more time for colonists to fully cross it. More time means more risks of starving and sleep deprivation, and the game would need more life-sustain buildings or items than he has now, or even vehicles, which are not trivial. Beyond the simple performance problem, it's a whole balancing issue to increase the size of the map.

Zeiph

It may be useful if the game is then extending to multiplayer: having each players on their square and the possibility to visit/interact. Maxis did it well with SC 2013.

British

Quote from: Spike on October 07, 2013, 11:52:50 AM
Quote from: CommieKazie on October 07, 2013, 11:39:58 AM

I like this idea!  You trade having fewer people to do the work at your colony, for the chance to find something new.  Or to bring back more trouble.  :P
I don't.
What's the point of sending colonists afar and have them bring stuff back, in a game in which we control colonists only ?
In any case, this idea is probably more attuned with the "fog of war" than it is with multiple maps... and even that is debattable ???

Technical Ben

If need be, make the "restriction" a part of gameplay.

So, we can only have 1 200x200 level at a time (at this point in the Alpha). But want an "easy" to program option to "change" the environment within the current playthough. So... make that the gameplay element.

The player can "abandon the settlement and look for somewhere else". All settlers must get supplies together, and you need x of each thing per colonist. Without it, the option is greyed, or you get a random chance of a complete faliure.
Once out on the treck, the old map is abandoned forever because "raiders will take it over", and the player starts with the same colonists in a new area. They keeps the research, and only the resources the people could carry. From there, you get to play in a new area, new resources, but possibly new risks and events. :)

British

Might as well start a new game: you have a gun, and there's always resources around.